ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma and Texas to join SEC?

FeralFelidae

Sep 1, 2003
What's with all these rumors going about?

And @PURPLE Book Cat I thought you said Texas and Oklahoma were supposed to join the B1G?

I guess with the arms race heating up, though, if you want the best pro team, you should join the best pro conference.

• Haha
Reactions: CatManTrue
Here's a thought:

Nebraska fled the Big 12 for the Big 10 in part because they were sick of being Texas's b****.

Well, if Texas joins the SEC, maybe Nebraska would rejoin the Big 12 (er... Big 8?) since the Texas problem would no longer factor.

We already know that Nebraska and its fans are unhappy in the Big 10 and have whined and complained.

Here's a thought:

Nebraska fled the Big 12 for the Big 10 in part because they were sick of being Texas's b****.

Well, if Texas joins the SEC, maybe Nebraska would rejoin the Big 12 (er... Big 8?) since the Texas problem would no longer factor.

We already know that Nebraska and its fans are unhappy in the Big 10 and have whined and complained.
Plus, Nebraska is apparently scared of playing Oklahoma, so that would be another plus.

Here's a thought:

A Big 12 without Texas and OU would see its TV payouts absolutely collapse.

ESPN and FOX would probably force that conference to take a 50%+ pay cut at some point (next contract or current contract if the grant of rights is invalidated).

Big 12 may not collapse entirely, but it's not a viable destination for Nebraska without Texas/OU.

Heck if Texas/OU leave, Nebraska is permanently a Big Ten member; can't ever really see a different conference that would work for them.

This honestly sounds like a worst case scenario for everyone else in CFB; SEC already markets themselves as if they're the NFL of college football; that'd probably be on steroids with Texas/OU.

Competitively, I don't get why SEC schools would want it. Alabama doesn't care, but the rest of them should care about wins and losses.

Reactions: GeauxCatsGeaux
I don't see this happening.

People say they want to compete, but what they really want are championships.

You put Alabama, the Texas schools, Florida et all in the same conference...there's still only one single championship per year.

Texas is accustomed to winning a conference championship "regularly." Their fans won't stand for winning it once every 7-10 years. Or replace Texas with Oklahoma, or someone else...

People say they want to compete, but what they really want are championships.

You put Alabama, the Texas schools, Florida et all in the same conference...there's still only one single championship per year.

Texas is accustomed to winning a conference championship "regularly." Their fans won't stand for winning it once every 7-10 years. Or replace Texas with Oklahoma, or someone else...
Yeah all that is valid...

Then it's balanced by an extra $10-15 million per year per school in TV money... at a time when money is the single most important factor by a mile.

Yeah all that is valid...

Then it's balanced by an extra $10-15 million per year per school in TV money... at a time when money is the single most important factor by a mile.
Watch Oklahoma go 16 years without a whiff of a division title and see how the alumni donations are looking

This honestly sounds like a worst case scenario for everyone else in CFB; SEC already markets themselves as if they're the NFL of college football; that'd probably be on steroids with Texas/OU.
Watch Oklahoma go 16 years without a whiff of a division title and see how the alumni donations are looking
That’s exactly what will happen to a couple of UGA/UF/Alabama/AU/LSU/Texas/OU.

I think this is really, really bad for the sport in the rest of country. Feel terrible for the other 8 XII schools.

Yeah, just feels like this will be a disaster for everyone involved except the checkbooks at the SEC schools and their players.

Everyone's a loser except Alabama I guess in the long run. The sport becomes way more regional than even now (why would anyone care about CFB outside the South if the SEC has 3-5 teams in the college football playoff of 12 teams and regularly wins it).

I get the money involved, but I'm thinking a move to 16 teams and a big move like that which blows up the BIg 12 is just not good for anyone except money counters in the SEC.

Texas A&M will not be happy about the Longhorns.

Does Oklahoma State join too bumping Missouri out of the SEC as some speculated yesterday?

I dunno, when is the last time that Ole Miss / Miss St / Arky / Auburn etc etc in the SEC West won a division title? Outside of LSU none have regularly challenged Bama in the SEC West (Auburn in the past for a while, aTm maybe going forward), but it hasn't slowed down their fan interest or inhibited donations... they all still pay a ridiculous buyout to fire a coach and then sign a huge new contract every 3-4 years roughly it seems.

If you believe conference membership opens up recruiting grounds (not sure I do), then New Jersey is far more valuable.
Not sure if we see a lot of evidence of that, at least from NU's perspective.

What I like about having Rutgers and Schiano in the B1G is that they give Ped St real competition for talent. PSU has not had much local competition, and I enjoy seeing them weakened.

People say they want to compete, but what they really want are championships..

I could be way off, but currently, I think the driving force right now isn’t winning championships, but FEAR of being left out of the super group of schools that eventually form their own conference/league. The scrambling and rumors have already started, and this is just the beginning.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatManTrue
The saddest part of the posts I made several years back is that they played a material role in Rutgers joining the Big Ten.
I have a family friend that’s a psychiatrist. She’s said that delusions of grandeur are an indicator of mental health issues. We care about you PBC. Please don’t let this condition get out of hand.

If the future additions to the Big Ten come from the ACC then Md/Rutgers was a springboard to that.

The Big Ten's future is East, not West.

Reactions: corbi296
If the future additions to the Big Ten come from the ACC then Md/Rutgers was a springboard to that.

The Big Ten's future is East, not West.
Well since you don’t believe me, my buddy said both UT and OU will owe the Big 12 more than $76M to leave for the SEC.

The Big 12 will also own their TV rights for another 4 years unless a deal is worked out - bringing the total owed to $100M.

How do they make that up? By replacing Vanderbilt with another power in the SEC and expecting blowout revenues. Such as OSU or Clemson.

We’ll what happens and if my buddy is right.

Well since you don’t believe me, my buddy said both UT and OU will owe the Big 12 more than $76M to leave for the SEC.

The Big 12 will also own their TV rights for another 4 years unless a deal is worked out - bringing the total owed to $100M.

How do they make that up? By replacing Vanderbilt with another power in the SEC and expecting blowout revenues. Such as OSU or Clemson.

No the way they make that money up is ESPN gives the conference more money for adding Texas/OU and saving ESPN money on their Big 12 rights.

And then borrow whatever else doesn't fill the gap against future revenue like Big Ten did with Rutgers/Maryland.

Post on another board quoting Kirk Bohls:

"Prominent Big 12 source tells the American-Statesman the Texas-OU move to the SEC is almost done. "They've been working on this for a minimum of 6 months, and the A&M leadership was left out of discussions and wasn't told about it." Move could become official in a week.

Asked about A&M being kept in the dark during secret negotiations between Texas-OU and SEC, one connected SEC source tells me, "I wouldn't dispute that."

[end quote]

Think about how ticked off A&M has to be about this. Maybe the B1G could poach them and another Texas school (Tech?) and go to 16 teams.

"Prominent Big 12 source tells the American-Statesman the Texas-OU move to the SEC is almost done. "They've been working on this for a minimum of 6 months, and the A&M leadership was left out of discussions and wasn't told about it." Move could become official in a week.

Asked about A&M being kept in the dark during secret negotiations between Texas-OU and SEC, one connected SEC source tells me, "I wouldn't dispute that."

[end quote]

Think about how ticked off A&M has to be about this. Maybe the B1G could poach them and another Texas school (Tech?) and go to 16 teams.
A&M would probably go for that.

I'm not sure any other Texas team (besides Texas) really fits the Big Ten template. Texas Tech isn't even in the top 200 in the US News rankings. Rice would fit academically, but would be to the Big Ten as Vanderbilt is to the SEC, except worse.

The Big 10 is screwed in terms a a football powerhouse conference. Maybe if they can get Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina, and USC, or a combination but Clemson is essential.

I’m sure that won’t be approved by the rest of the Big 10. That being the case, ans an OSU fan I hope that Ohio State leaves and joins the SEC which I’m sure many here will be happy to see.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
A&M would probably go for that.

I'm not sure any other Texas team (besides Texas) really fits the Big Ten template. Texas Tech isn't even in the top 200 in the US News rankings. Rice would fit academically, but would be to the Big Ten as Vanderbilt is to the SEC, except worse.
There's Baylor. Sure, the football and basketball programs have some baggage from scandals in recent years, but it's a decent academic institution and the BB team did just win the national championship.

• Haha
Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye

[end quote]

Yikes. Aggies getting screwed big time. Not really a good way to foster trust across member institutions. It's to the point where I may give up as a college sports fan, other than watching NU games.

There's Baylor. Sure, the football and basketball programs have some baggage from scandals in recent years, but it's a decent academic institution and the BB team did just win the national championship.
I'd rather have Rice.

The Big 10 is screwed in terms a a football powerhouse conference. Maybe if they can get Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina, and USC, or a combination but Clemson is essential.

I’m sure that won’t be approved by the rest of the Big 10. That being the case, ans an OSU fan I hope that Ohio State leaves and joins the SEC which I’m sure many here will be happy to see.
Ultimately money talks.

When it comes down to it, I expect the Big Ten to focus on adding teams like FSU/Clemson in next round because only teams people watch on TV matter for TV money now.

Maybe we add 4-6 teams.

Where's Notre Dame in all this? If they add Notre Dame and, say, an angry A&M that just got screwed over by the SEPC, the Big Ten might be able to hold serve for a few more years.

Where's Notre Dame in all this? If they add Notre Dame and, say, an angry A&M that just got screwed over by the SEPC, the Big Ten might be able to hold serve for a few more years.

A&M won’t leave the SEC unless forced to. Everyone is scared of being left out right now. I don’t think ND is joining the B1G either. Why would they? They’re going to join this new super conference (whatever it will be called).

Well, we apparently have a conference call with Kansas scheduled. C'mon, you can't get at least a little excited to see "script Ohio" in Lawrence, KS? ;-)

Pretty hard to pull any of those big-name ACC schools away. ACC grant-of-rights basically has their TV rights in perpetuity.

Well, we apparently have a conference call with Kansas scheduled. C'mon, you can't get at least a little excited to see "script Ohio" in Lawrence, KS? ;-)

Pretty hard to pull any of those big-name ACC schools away. ACC grant-of-rights basically has their TV rights in perpetuity.
15 years is not in perpetuity, especially if 10 years from now the gap between the ACC and Big Ten is 25-30 million a year.

ACC is locked into a bad contract through 2036.

If we call 4-8 ACC schools and say leave the ACC for the Big Ten in 2032 and you'll get double the TV money, why would they say no?

People just have to be patient; these aren't 5 year or 10 year decisions; it's best to just stand pat and wait until the timing is right.

A Big 12 without Texas and OU would see its TV payouts absolutely collapse.

ESPN and FOX would probably force that conference to take a 50%+ pay cut at some point (next contract or current contract if the grant of rights is invalidated).

Big 12 may not collapse entirely, but it's not a viable destination for Nebraska without Texas/OU.

Heck if Texas/OU leave, Nebraska is permanently a Big Ten member; can't ever really see a different conference that would work for them.

Competitively, I don't get why SEC schools would want it. Alabama doesn't care, but the rest of them should care about wins and losses.
How are those teams super teams if they have to play each other all the time? Instead of being able to use the rest of the conference as fodder, they would be forced to play each other each year. How many would still be super teams?

And how do they allow TX to still have their broadcasting network that is the source of all their cash?

Reactions: StreamCat
How are those teams super teams if they have to play each other all the time? Instead of being able to use the rest of the conference as fodder, they would be forced to play each other each year. How many would still be super teams?
If half of the expanded playoff bids go to the superconference, then a loss or two in that conference wouldn't end their season.

Would not be a problem for Texas but OK it might

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT