ADVERTISEMENT

Onto Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois

zeek55

Nov 21, 2010
NU 5-1
Wisconsin 4-2
Purdue 4-2
Iowa 3-3

Wisconsin still plays Penn State and Purdue.

We control our destiny. The way we played these past 2 weeks are good enough to beat Iowa. Get it done.

ND has a great team; good enough to get to the top 4 and the CFP. Grats to them. Glad we didn't fold and took it to them. Their front 7 and OL are outstanding, and their WRs got separation consistently; Book was able to pick us apart with all of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: rmndcat
NU 5-1
Wisconsin 4-2
Purdue 4-2
Iowa 3-3

We control our destiny. The way we played these past 2 weeks are good enough to beat Iowa. Get it done.

ND has a great team; good enough to get to the top 4 and the CPF. Grats to them. Glad we didn't fold and took it to them. Their front 7 and OL are outstanding, and their WRs got separation consistently; Book was able to pick us apart with all of that.
At least we know Fitz will never allow a letdown to Iowa. I’m more concerned with a letdown to MN or IL. Gotta just win 2/3 against three flawed opponents. Too bad we are flawed too.

Reactions: phatcat and rmndcat
Notre Dame offensive line was terrific we couldn't get any pressure on the quarterback. They played a good game especially their quarterback. We had our problems but if Thorson had a better game we might have done a little better he wasn't bad but he wasn't good.

Notre Dame offensive line was terrific we couldn't get any pressure on the quarterback. They played a good game especially their quarterback. We had our problems but if Thorson had a better game we might have done a little better he wasn't bad but he wasn't good.
Yeah, I don't think we've seen a team this year that played as consistent as that ND team across the whole game.

Michigan started slow on us, and Duke's offense was out of sorts in the second half:

But ND's offensive line was there the whole game playing well; their defensive line just kept burning us on the edges and flushing CT out of the pocket.

Tough to lose, but we didn't play poorly. Their players were just better. Sucks when that happens, but it still points to the difference between a top team that's playing to its potential and us when we play to our potential.

I really want the Cats to take care of Iowa. If we lose I would be very nervous about a letdown vs Minny and Illinois, a collapse a la 2013 after OSU.

We may need to worry a lot more about Purdue if we lose to Iowa and they beat Wisconsin because they’d likely finish with 2 losses and we wouldn’t clinch the division unless we beat both Minny and Illinois.

Reactions: zeek55 and Pukecat
I really want the Cats to take care of Iowa. If we lose I would be very nervous about a letdown vs Minny and Illinois, a collapse a la 2013 after OSU.

We may need to worry a lot more about Purdue if we lose to Iowa and they beat Wisconsin because they’d likely finish with 2 losses and we wouldn’t clinch the division unless we beat both Minny and Illinois.
Yes I think right now Purdue going 7-2 is most likely outcome for our challengers.

They get Wisconsin at home too. We'll be rooting for Penn State against Wisconsin and then Wisconsin against Purdue, but it's better if we beat Iowa.

Reactions: rmndcat

If we can't beat Minny and Illinois, we don't belong in Indy.

If we can't beat Minny and Illinois, we don't belong in Indy.
Yep.

We beat them 81-7 combined last year.

We've beaten good Purdue, Wisconsin, and Michigan State teams. We beat an improving Nebraska squad. And we got by Rutgers (as painful as that victory was).

We played very well against top 5 Notre Dame and Michigan teams.

If we can't beat Minnesota and Illinois thoroughly (regardless of Iowa result), that's not good. They are terrible teams running on fumes...

NU 5-1
Wisconsin 4-2
Purdue 4-2
Iowa 3-3

ND has a great team; good enough to get to the top 4 and the CFP. Grats to them. Glad we didn't fold and took it to them. Their front 7 and OL are outstanding, and their WRs got separation consistently; Book was able to pick us apart with all of that.
ND was the better team tonight. But we still have the chance to make this a pretty special year. I think we can win out in the rest of the B1G regular season, although we don't need to. Let's get it done!

Soooo many thoughts and fears about the next three weeks...

On one hand, I can see NU finding a way of blowing it - beat Iowa and then lose against Minny and Illinois...it would be the most Northwestern thing we could possibly do.

On the other hand, I could see NU stumbling into Indy at 7-5, the opposing team's fans boasting about how many of their fans showed up compared to NU, and then us winning a sleepy 24-21 game (and then losing 100-13 to Wazzu in the Rose Bowl...but if that is our fate, I can live with it a Fitz-led B1G championship...finally).

...but this is why we watch.

Reactions: nu greek

On one hand, I can see NU finding a way of blowing it - beat Iowa and then lose against Minny and Illinois...it would be the most Northwestern thing we could possibly do.

On the other hand, I could see NU stumbling into Indy at 7-5, the opposing team's fans boasting about how many of their fans showed up compared to NU, and then us winning a sleepy 24-21 game (and then losing 100-13 to Wazzu in the Rose Bowl...but if that is our fate, I can live with it a Fitz-led B1G championship...finally).

If we beat Iowa but lose to Illinois and Minnesota there’s still a good chance we make it to Indy (which would suck).

Wisconsin and Purdue would just need to lose once more, so eg Penn State over Wisconsin and Wisconsin over Purdue.

I want what you are smoking.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I really don't understand these ridiculous scenarios about Minnesota and Illinois.

Both are playing on fumes and looking worse almost every week. Minnesota basically didn't get off the bus against Illinois.

Maybe one or both play inspired against us..., but that isn't enough to beat us.

Rutgers played inspired against us, and I felt like we had that game in control the whole time.

I'm not worried about those two, especially if we beat Iowa. Our defense will be far better than either Minnesota/Illinois' offense. We can control both of those games just like we did last year. Bowser will have lanes to run, etc.

If we beat Iowa but lose to Illinois and Minnesota there’s still a good chance we make it to Indy (which would suck).

Wisconsin and Purdue would just need to lose once more, so eg Penn State over Wisconsin and Wisconsin over Purdue.
Purdue and Wisconsin play each other in two weeks. One of them is guaranteed a loss.

The BIG champ game is played in Indianapolis- correct?? Is the stadium directly downtown or in a suburb of Indy? Does anybody know how far away this place is from near Ohare airport? What time would the game be played if we make it there? I googled it and was just wondering if the starting time at nite is set in stone.eastern time?? Are there ample hotel rooms in the area? Would anybody recommend going to this game- or to this year's bowl game? I ask because my wife can only ask for a certain amount of time off from work- since she'll be going with me to one of the games. That is, of course, if Nu makes it to both games.

The BIG champ game is played in Indianapolis- correct?? Does anybody know how far away this place is from near Ohare airport? What time would the game be played if we make it there? I googled it and was just wondering if the starting time at nite is set in stone.eastern time?? Are there ample hotel rooms in the area? Would anybody recommend going to this game- or to this year's bowl game? I ask because my wife can only ask for a certain amount of time off from work- since she'll be going with me to one of the games.

From O'hare it's about a 3 to 3.5 hour drive, depending on traffic. Easy drive. If I had to choose, I probably would attend the Big Ten Championship game over a bowl game. Playing in our first Big Ten title game will be pretty special if we get that chance. Lucas Oil Stadium is also a pretty neat stadium to watch a game in. We have a great shot to get there and I think we would have a pretty good shot at winning the game against our likely opponent, Michigan. The game will probably be on in prime time so I would guess 7 or 7:30pm on that Saturday night.

Reactions: zeek55 and mickbula
The BIG champ game is played in Indianapolis- correct?? Does anybody know how far away this place is from near Ohare airport? What time would the game be played if we make it there? I googled it and was just wondering if the starting time at nite is set in stone.eastern time?? Are there ample hotel rooms in the area? Would anybody recommend going to this game- or to this year's bowl game? I ask because my wife can only ask for a certain amount of time off from work- since she'll be going with me to one of the games.
December 1 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

Kickoff is 8pm EST. FOX channel.

West team is considered away team this year, East team is home team (it alternates).

Reactions: mickbula
Minny has a few good WRs which could be a problem if our guys who left against ND arent back. That’s the only variable I see causing a problem in that game. We need to have our DBs at good strength and Thorson also has to have at least a decent to good game, not an Akron or Rutgers like performance.

The BIG champ game is played in Indianapolis- correct?? Is the stadium directly downtown or in a suburb of Indy? Does anybody know how far away this place is from near Ohare airport? What time would the game be played if we make it there? I googled it and was just wondering if the starting time at nite is set in stone.eastern time?? Are there ample hotel rooms in the area? Would anybody recommend going to this game- or to this year's bowl game? I ask because my wife can only ask for a certain amount of time off from work- since she'll be going with me to one of the games. That is, of course, if Nu makes it to both games.

I live in Carmel on the North side of Indy. Lucas Oil is in downtown Indy. Downtown Chicago it's not. Lots of parking, easy traffic etc.Hotels shouldn't be a problem but I couldn't say for sure .

Last edited:
Reactions: mickbula
I live in Carmel on the North side of Indy. Lucas Oil is in downtown Indy. Downtown Chicago it's not. Lots of parking, easy asy traffic etc.Hotels shouldn't be a problem but I couldn't say for sure .

I reserved a hotel just in case but it’s already sold out. Most of the downtown ones appear to be. I suspect a lot of speculative booking. Perhaps it will open up once some teams are eliminated.

From O'hare it's about a 3 to 3.5 hour drive, depending on traffic. Easy drive. If I had to choose, I probably would attend the Big Ten Championship game over a bowl game. Playing in our first Big Ten title game will be pretty special if we get that chance. Lucas Oil Stadium is also a pretty neat stadium to watch a game in. We have a great shot to get there and I think we would have a pretty good shot at winning the game against our likely opponent, Michigan. The game will probably be on in prime time so I would guess 7 or 7:30pm on that Saturday night.
Doesn't hurt that Michigan plays Ohio State at OSU the week before.

I reserved a hotel just in case but it’s already sold out. Most of the downtown ones appear to be. I suspect a lot of speculative booking. Perhaps it will open up once some teams are eliminated.
I'm guessing that you are correct in that assumption.

I really don't understand these ridiculous scenarios about Minnesota and Illinois.

Both are playing on fumes and looking worse almost every week. Minnesota basically didn't get off the bus against Illinois.

Maybe one or both play inspired against us..., but that isn't enough to beat us.

Rutgers played inspired against us, and I felt like we had that game in control the whole time.

I'm not worried about those two, especially if we beat Iowa. Our defense will be far better than either Minnesota/Illinois' offense. We can control both of those games just like we did last year. Bowser will have lanes to run, etc.

(X) getsit

(X) attended both the Akron and Rutgers games. Fears it

When was the last time we lost to a conference team where we were favored by double digits, like we will be in these two games? Has it even happened under CT?

When was the last time we lost to a conference team where we were favored by double digits, like we will be in these two games? Has it even happened under CT?
no, but saying "conference" is selective.

ISU, Akron.

At least we can take comfort that we probably got Fleck his job by losing to him. We win that game and he's just another MAC champ coach. So now we get to watch him twist in the wind

(X) attended both the Akron and Rutgers games. Fears it
These are late season games; Fitz's teams have been much better late in the season than early on (for a variety of reasons).

I feel pretty good about how we've played the past couple of weeks; yes I know there's been hiccups offensively for some games, but most of the time, we've played hard and with purpose.

The Rutgers game felt like an anomaly in this 6 games (Michigan to ND) stretch. I realize nothing is certain, but given what's at stake, I expect us to play to our potential against Minnesota and Illinois and put both teams away like a good team does late in championship seasons.

Hopefully the version of Northwestern that lost to Akron and almost lost to Rutgers will be a no show for the next three games.

Taking the glass half full approach, 2 of our losses have been to the #3 and #4 teams in the country and both games were winnable.

I live close to Indy now, and would LOVE to go to this game - does NU get allotted some tickets if we are in the game? that we can buy cause it looks like slim pickings now but I don't really know what is typical for these games.

no, but saying "conference" is selective.

ISU, Akron.

At least we can take comfort that we probably got Fleck his job by losing to him. We win that game and he's just another MAC champ coach. So now we get to watch him twist in the wind

Agreed, but would much rather spit the bit on noncon games than conference games. And I knew we'd be up against it noncon as soon as I saw our rotating QBs...

At least we know Fitz will never allow a letdown to Iowa.

This is quite true. Very few people know this, but Fitz broke his leg against Ioa and has sworn eternal vengeance ever since. He lives to beat Ioa. He'd be happy with going 1-11 every year as long as that win came against them.

In fact, he kills a few Ioa hookers on every biennial trip to Ioa City just for good measure.

I live close to Indy now, and would LOVE to go to this game - does NU get allotted some tickets if we are in the game? that we can buy cause it looks like slim pickings now but I don't really know what is typical for these games.
Has the CCG ever been a sellout in terms of attendance? I’m sure there will be a ton of tix and hotel rooms freed up the week before the game.

This is quite true. Very few people know this, but Fitz broke his leg against Ioa and has sworn eternal vengeance ever since. He lives to beat Ioa. He'd be happy with going 1-11 every year as long as that win came against them.

In fact, he kills a few Ioa hookers on every biennial trip to Ioa City just for good measure.
Gosh. All these years and I thought it was a freak play and that even Fitz recognized this. Glad you set the record straight.

Maybe Fitz could swear eternal vengeance on third quarter flat offenses?

Has the CCG ever been a sellout in terms of attendance? I’m sure there will be a ton of tix and hotel rooms freed up the week before the game.
I looked it up a few weeks ago. Never a sellout, but close four of the last five years. Think 65-66k on capacity listed as 67k (expandable to 70k). The other was 60k.

I anticipate a buyers’ market on the secondary sales sites.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT