ADVERTISEMENT

Optimistic, despite sitting at 6-11

Palindrome

Jun 19, 2001
My take on this year’s Wildcats: (1) it seems to matter relatively little whom we face; (2) we are growing through, and seemingly beyond, the inconsistencies of an exceptionally green squad; (3) by virtue of key injuries, we're learning about guys who might otherwise not be getting big minutes on the floor, which should pay dividends down the road; (4) our guys have plenty of competitive fire and fight in their core; and, (5) our coaching staff is showing they can venture outside their natural comfort zone to keep the ship afloat in rough waters.

That list of 5 factors is what makes me positive about the road ahead, looking out a season or two or three. Cautiously optimistic is how I feel right now, and that’s a whole lot better than I expected to be in at this point in this season.

But, what do I mean by (1) above, that "it seems to matter relatively little whom we face”?

Well, here are 5 names: Merrimack, Radford, Norfolk State, SIU-Edwardsville, and Hartford. Our record with these relatively obscure programs is 2-3 and we are only a combined +7 in scoring differential, or +1.4 per game.

Then here are a dozen other names that are a tad more relevant and/or substantial: Providence, Bradley, Pitt, Boston College, Purdue, Michigan State, DePaul, Minnesota, Indiana, Nebraska, Iowa, and Illinois. The Cats’ W-L record against this group is 4-8 but the combined total point differential in these matchups is -4, or -0.33 per game. We’ve won by as many as 27 and 18 points in games against this group, and lost (badly) by as many as 14 and 13 (twice) but otherwise by single digits …. by 9 once, 5 twice, and 4 twice.

Glass more than half full here in Palindromeland.

ps.. this is just back-of-the-envelope stuff, so it might be a little off.

NU has to learn to win the tough games. NU has never had size and front court potential like this. Players need another year of strength and conditioning and need a healthy BOO to scare any one. Add a solid starting guard and a decent guard off the bench and this is a tournament team in 2 years. Usually the Donut hole on decent teams is a Big. For NU we simply need a scoring guard for the stretch runs. No slam on current guys but just talking about getting to the next level. Beran is the real deal.

Not sure if Nicholson will shirt. Given our injury luck, Young will lose an arm in a chainsaw mishap and Jones will have his hands squashed by a revolving door, forcing Nicholson into action.
What, my "sympathetic leprosy" prediction wasn't dire enough for you?

Lol

Reactions: NUCat320
In a few years, our front court will feature Young, Jones and Nicholson. Nance, Kopp, and Beran will be the wings. That is going to be big, long group.
next season's starting 5 could be Jones, Beran, Kopp, Boo and Berry.

... Cautiously optimistic is how I feel right now, and that’s a whole lot better than I expected to be in at this point in this season ...

This is the line I like best.

Yea, I can be optimistic also. I see some good things, and I think it's not a stretch to find different results without the injuries - plural ... not only Buie.

My biggest long-term concern would be the baseline defense of Young, Beran/Nance and Kopp. I love the size, but I hope they can improve on that side of the ball.

I'm also a half season away from accepting that Nance is "just a guy." So be it. I hope Nance turns it around, but Beran has the talent to replace the Nance idea.

This is the line I like best.

Yea, I can be optimistic also. I see some good things, and I think it's not a stretch to find different results without the injuries - plural ... not only Buie.

My biggest long-term concern would be the baseline defense of Young, Beran/Nance and Kopp. I love the size, but I hope they can improve on that side of the ball.

I'm also a half season away from accepting that Nance is "just a guy." So be it. I hope Nance turns it around, but Beran has the talent to replace the Nance idea.

I’d give Nance at least another off season to see if he can improve after his first year of meaningful minutes. If he hasn’t made a big jump in the first few games of big ten next year then he won’t have much time left to figure it out. Agree that Beran might be the answer.

I'll give up on Nance when Nance gives up on himself.

It wasn't that long ago that Collins sat Vic Law because he was a bit of a mess then end of his frosh year despite his obvious physical gifts. Law is now sitting on a two-way with the Magic.

Nance has played more games than Law at that point, but he's also a 6 10 or 6 11 guy and not a 6 6 or 6 7 guy which is vastly different. And, what surrounds Nance seems to be evolving rapidly. Nance will be much tougher to deal with when...

* He's had another year in the weight room/BJ coaching;
* He's on the floor w 2nd year Booie, Beran and Young...third year Kopp and fifth year Gaines.

And that doesn't factor in the two frosh, if they're really good....or Audige...if he's really good.

NU is losing all it's conference games by under ten with a crippled roster.

I couldn't be more jacked for next year.

It wasn't that long ago that Collins sat Vic Law because he was a bit of a mess then end of his frosh year despite his obvious physical gifts. Law is now sitting on a two-way with the Magic.

Nance has played more games than Law at that point, but he's also a 6 10 or 6 11 guy and not a 6 6 or 6 7 guy which is vastly different. And, what surrounds Nance seems to be evolving rapidly. Nance will be much tougher to deal with when...

* He's on the floor w 2nd year Booie, Beran and Young...third year Kopp and fifth year Gaines.

And that doesn't factor in the two frosh, if they're really good....or Audige...if he's really good.

Do you or anyone else think NU will have a full 13 man scholarship roster next season?

Do you or anyone else think NU will have a full 13 man scholarship roster next season?

I think it's a unique situation until the two '21 five stars declare where they are going.

Haywood knows better, but my estimation is that with the two remaining spots....

* One is for a possible quality grad transfer, in the event one becomes available;
* The other stays open unless there is a very high quality hs senior who suddenly takes interest in NU...and that has to be a roster fit.;

I think NU can use a 4 who can rebound like crazy and defend 4's and 5's. That's more of a permanent need so a frosh or undergrad transfer. Spencer and Turner graduate so the lead guards will be Greer, Boo and the frosh. So I'd take a proven PG for a year who'd like to get a year of Kellogg or Sports Management under his belt.

Seeing that Gaines will likely play 2 more years, we are headed to having 11 for the next two years. Ideally we would get some depth next year in the graduate market.

That's not a bad place to be. Give us 2 scholarships for 21/22 if no one leaves. Would hate to see a repetition of Vassar just because we could use another spot available.

yes - 2021 should have a full-roster of big ten capable players and not just fill-ins to have roster spots. although i could see CCC always trying to fill 1 with a sit-out with a grad transfer to keep an older athlete on the roster - especially vs. a "developmental" player

yes - 2021 should have a full-roster of big ten capable players and not just fill-ins to have roster spots. although i could see CCC always trying to fill 1 with a sit-out with a grad transfer to keep an older athlete on the roster - especially vs. a "developmental" player
I'm assuming "2021" means 2020-21. Right now there's two open spots. I can't imagine taking anything other than grad transfers for those spots. None of the current 11 will be finished after 20-21. If you fill those spots with FY's of regular transfers, then you have no spots for the Baldwin Jr. class.

NU has to learn to win the tough games. NU has never had size and front court potential like this. Players need another year of strength and conditioning and need a healthy BOO to scare any one. Add a solid starting guard and a decent guard off the bench and this is a tournament team in 2 years. Usually the Donut hole on decent teams is a Big. For NU we simply need a scoring guard for the stretch runs. No slam on current guys but just talking about getting to the next level. Beran is the real deal.
But scare them, we will. I feel that by the end of the year, a lot of teams will not want to play us.

In a few years, our front court will feature Young, Jones and Nicholson. Nance, Kopp, and Beran will be the wings. That is going to be big, long group.
As long as a few is no more than two as Nance will be gone after that unless he gets hurt and an extra year. Same with Kopp

Gaines will only be in his 4th year since they shut him down

Like this year cannot end soon enough?

I feel that by the end of the year, a lot of teams will not want to play us.

This is nice to say and all, but teams would still much rather play us than a top 36 kenpom team--which 12 of the 13 other B1G team are right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT