ADVERTISEMENT

OT: A Fish Story

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
Before this heads over to "The Other Sports Board:"

OK, Presidents Day has come to a close here in the Northland. It was a good day to stay inside as snow fell and winds began to blow late in the day reaching up to 75 mph on the distant Hillside, and at least half that where we are. I just found that the bungee corded tarp had blown off our greenhouse and has likely landed on the roof as it is nowhere to be found in the yard. Well before the electricity ends up going out I will get this sent.

So what to do on a snowy and wind blown day and night? What better than to retell a fish story? This one is from August of 2009:

Here is how it started:
"Wish me luck. Will be on the waters attempting to land Silver Salmon in the Seward Silver Salmon Derby."

Which was followed a week later by the following:

"UPDATE: Back from the Derby. Here is our catch:"

OK, here is the story that goes with the fish:

Historically the largest Silver Salmon ever caught in the Derby was 20 pounds. Imagine our excitement when we hooked a salmon on our first day out that weighed 22 pounds on our hand scale. Needless to say we did everything we could to keep the fish hydrated so it would not lose any weight as we turned the boat around and headed toward the port. As we raced the boat back to the Derby weigh in station and started counting how we would share the $30,000 in prize money, we reexamined the fish in detail and eventually concluded it was the most Silver Salmon looking King Salmon any of us had ever seen. But for the black lower gums (Silvers have white lower gums) it would have passed for a Silver. Ah well, it made for an exciting first day. Below is the photo of the "Silver" King as it was caught on the boat and again in the cooler.

For comparison the salmon being held on the boat in the third photo below is an 11-12 pound Silver Salmon I caught the next day.

Postscript.

I finally located the wind blown tarp but there is still a bungee cord laying on the snow covered roof. It will stay there until Spring as I had spares available to once again secure the tarp onto the greenhouse.

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT