ADVERTISEMENT

OT ... First time Trip to Chicago

passedout

Aug 1, 2002
Taking 3-day weekend trip with sons (13 and 10) to Chicago in July, heading to Wrigley for Cubs games, going to spend another day sightseeing, etc.. Any suggestions for hotels, getting around, restaurants, cool things to see?

Museum of Science and Industry
Power Boat Ride on Lake Michigan from Navy Pier
Lou Malnati's Pizza

Taking in a Cub game you could hardly do wrong with 3 boys. I always did appreciate the museums. Lincoln Park zoo is free and is right by the lake. Hang along the lakeshore if it is hot swim off the rocks at Fullerton or go to the beach. Architecture boat tour is decent. Mannys Deli for the best corned beef sandwich you'll ever find. Malnatis is excellent deep dish but there is no shortage of excellent pizza here. Uno is good D'Agostinos by Wrigley has great thin crust.

Taking 3-day weekend trip with sons (13 and 10) to Chicago in July, heading to Wrigley for Cubs games, going to spend another day sightseeing, etc.. Any suggestions for hotels, getting around, restaurants, cool things to see?

What kind of food do you like. Chicago has some of the best Italian and Mexican restaurants in the country, some at reasonable prices.

Mexican and Italian are right up our alley. Lou Malnati's and Pequods for Pizza. Anyone eat at Al's Italian Beef? Frontera Grill and Cemitas Puebla for Mexican. Any other suggestions? The Taste of Chicago food festival is going on while were there as well. Any suggestions as far as hotels. Is Evanston area an option? Ideally would like to be close to Wrigley and a beach if possible? Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Mexican and Italian are right up our alley. Lou Malnati's and Pequods for Pizza. Anyone eat at Al's Italian Beef? Frontera Grill and Cemitas Puebla for Mexican. Any other suggestions? The Taste of Chicago food festival is going on while were there as well. Any suggestions as far as hotels. Is Evanston area an option? Ideally would like to be close to Wrigley and a beach if possible? Thanks for the suggestions so far.

You won't get into Frontera, unless you're willing to get in line at 4:00 and wait 2 hrs. Xoco and Fondo Frontera are two of his more casual restaurants. Altriro in Roscoe Village is a favorite.

All the restaurants you listed are great. For sure Pequods. I would not recommend staying in Evanston though.

I'll make an unusual Hotel recommendation. Consider staying downtown in the loop. This is the business district and is relatively dead on weekends but because of that you might get a pretty good deal on Hotels. In addition, you will be centrally located within walking distance or easy access to all of the various train lines that you can take to get to Wrigley, to Evanston and the museums/Willis Tower/ millennium Park. Check out Club Quarters on Adams Street as a good value option for a downtown hotel.

I'll make an unusual Hotel recommendation. Consider staying downtown in the loop. This is the business district and is relatively dead on weekends but because of that you might get a pretty good deal on Hotels. In addition, you will be centrally located within walking distance or easy access to all of the various train lines that you can take to get to Wrigley, to Evanston and the museums/Willis Tower/ millennium Park. Check out Club Quarters on Adams Street as a good value option for a downtown hotel.

Agreed... if you're comfortable, the L is definitely the way to go. I think they still offer weekend passes, but not 100% sure.

Old Town use to be a destination before (as a student) and when I lived there. Wells St and North (1600 n) Ave. The Gorilla House at the zoo is first rate -- an easy walk.

and, Go Cats !!

Old Town use to be a destination before (as a student) and when I lived there. Wells St and North (1600 n) Ave. The Gorilla House at the zoo is first rate -- an easy walk.

and, Go Cats !!
Then there is also Navy Pier, where there is lots for the kids to do. Take the new ferris wheel for the views! Ditto, Millennium Park, with lots to do and near many good restaurants.

I think the architectural boat tours which you can pick up at the Michigan Street Bridge are the best way to learn anything about Chicago.

A cool thing to do is go up to the Signature Room about an hour before dusk and watch the lights go on throughout the City. It will cost a little more than the observation deck, but you get a cocktail and a tremendous view. On a clear night, you can see the planes at O'Hare and Midway.

Magiano's but do it sort of family style. They give a lot of food One salad for the table, and a a couple main dishes and you will still be carrying some back to the hotel. Especially if one is a pasta. They will bring extra sauce.

Reactions: Inovacat
Priceline,com is your friend. Try for a 4 Star north of the Loop. Should be able to get S $400 a night room for less than half. $160 bid might get accepted. With kids a pool would be a plus in July.

Last edited:
Magiano's but do it sort of family style. They give a lot of food One salad for the table, and a a couple main dishes and you will still be carrying some back to the hotel. Especially if one is a pasta. They will bring extra sauce.

Maggiano's? With all the great Italian restaurants we have in Chicago and you want to send him to eat microwaved Italian food? I guess our disagreements don't end with politics. In my opinion the best authentic Italian restaurant in the city is Cocco Pazzo just north of Merchandise Mart but there are many other Italian restaurants in Chicago that could stake claim to that title.

Maggiano's? With all the great Italian restaurants we have in Chicago and you want to send him to eat microwaved Italian food? I guess our disagreements don't end with politics. In my opinion the best authentic Italian restaurant in the city is Cocco Pazzo just north of Merchandise Mart but there are many other Italian restaurants in Chicago that could stake claim to that title.

Yeah, Maggiano's is fine. I like Maggiano's, but I have it here (in my non-Chicago city). Why waste one of your precious meals in Chicago at a place you can get anywhere? Last time I was in Chicago a few weeks ago, I went to Eataly, which has many restaurants (as well as a large store) full of Italian goodness. If you're with three sons, it might make more sense to try this than to go to a nice romantic restaurant anyway. it's a lot of hustle and bustle. In River North, within a few blocks of Uno's, Magnificent Mile, and a lot of other touristy areas.

Also, I loved the French onion fondue at Maude's Liqour Bar. Yum.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Yeah, Maggiano's is fine. I like Maggiano's, but I have it here (in my non-Chicago city). Why waste one of your precious meals in Chicago at a place you can get anywhere? Last time I was in Chicago a few weeks ago, I went to Eataly, which has many restaurants (as well as a large store) full of Italian goodness. If you're with three sons, it might make more sense to try this than to go to a nice romantic restaurant anyway. it's a lot of hustle and bustle. In River North, within a few blocks of Uno's, Magnificent Mile, and a lot of other touristy areas.

Eataly is a great suggestion for Italian food with three boys. Awesome, authentic Italian Pizza and Pasta at their restaurant. Also great Sliced Prime Rib sandwich.

Depends on what you are looking for. With kids of that age and trying to keep bills reasonable, yes.

He did not say where he was from. If he has a Maggiano's, your suggestion is reasonable. But if not and trying to deal with three at that age... Plenty of solid restaurants of all kinds. Think fun first. Make sure check out outside eating opportunities that make so so places great and don't exist in winter.

Tufanos a/k/a Vernon Park Tap is one, but it only takes cash. You are right that there are a ton of really good Italian places. Carlos & Carlos in Arlington Heights has fabulous ink pasta.

Tufanos a/k/a Vernon Park Tap is one, but it only takes cash. You are right that there are a ton of really good Italian places. Carlos & Carlos in Arlington Heights has fabulous ink pasta.

Man, you guys really need to let me take you out to eat some real Italian food. I know Tufanos well and love the neighborhood atmosphere but the food is terrible. Tell you what, Italian dinner on me to celebrate Trump's impeachment!

Man, you guys really need to let me take you out to eat some real Italian food. I know Tufanos well and love the neighborhood atmosphere but the food is terrible. Tell you what, Italian dinner on me to celebrate Trump's impeachment!

You are right, but better atmosphere than Maggianos. Heck, about 4 little local places up by me which are better than Maggianos. It would be an expensive bill on your treat.

You are right, but better atmosphere than Maggianos. Heck, about 4 little local places up by me which are better than Maggianos. It would be an expensive bill on your treat.

I would gladly pay it.

Out in the burbs, choices are limited. Magiannos can be the best of a limited lot. Actually, downtown, at this time of year dining outside is the best. Sort of bad dinner outside is better than great one inside. Have so many choices never really get to Itallian. Don't forget the Taapas places. THey can be a lot of fun. In Evanston is Tapas Barcelona. They used to have a great outdoors but now pretty so so. Cafe Ba Ba Reeba is a lot of fun as are most of the let us entertain you restaurants And as far as Italian, while there might be very good places, I think NY has us beat. Greek, is probably better here. And around Chicago, lots of restaurants are run by Greeks regardless Pretty good steak houses as well.

http://cafebabareeba.com/

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Out in the burbs, choices are limited. Magiannos can be the best of a limited lot. Actually, downtown, at this time of year dining outside is the best. Sort of bad dinner outside is better than great one inside. Have so many choices never really get to Itallian. Don't forget the Taapas places. THey can be a lot of fun. In Evanston is Tapas Barcelona. They used to have a great outdoors but now pretty so so. Cafe Ba Ba Reeba is a lot of fun as are most of the let us entertain you restaurants And as far as Italian, while there might be very good places, I think NY has us beat. Greek, is probably better here. And around Chicago, lots of restaurants are run by Greeks regardless Pretty good steak houses as well.

http://cafebabareeba.com/

What area of the suburbs do you live in? I like Spanish and Greek but the quality of our Italian restaurants is far superior to the Greek and Spanish food in town. NY may have more quantity but our quality of Italian is as good or better than NY. Chicago was just rated by Conde Nast as the top restaurant city in the country.

What area of the suburbs do you live in? I like Spanish and Greek but the quality of our Italian restaurants is far superior to the Greek and Spanish food in town. NY may have more quantity but our quality of Italian is as good or better than NY. Chicago was just rated by Conde Nast as the top restaurant city in the country.
5 miles South of Schaumburg. And while I am fine with Italian, not anything around here worth really going way out of my way for. Again, looking for what is fun and high level Italian doesn't really fit that.

Last edited:
5 miles South of Schaumburg. And while I am fine with Italian, not anything around here worth really going way out of my way for. Again, looking for what is fun and high level Italian doesn't really fit that.

Throwing "high level Italian" food can be just as much fun as throwing food at the Olive Garden.

Eataly is a great suggestion for Italian food with three boys. Awesome, authentic Italian Pizza and Pasta at their restaurant. Also great Sliced Prime Rib sandwich.

Oh boy that prime rib sandwich is a good one...

Love the experience here for true foodies...

Italian restaurants are a dime a dozen. But Sapori in Lincoln Park is very good.

Get a true Chicago style hot dog at Flub-a-Dub Chub on Broadway. Get the Chubby with da works.

Or go to the Weiner Circle after midnight.

Staying at the Hotel Versey at Diversey & Clark puts you very close to these places, Wrigley, and the beach.

Throwing "high level Italian" food can be just as much fun as throwing food at the Olive Garden.
Haven't been to an Olive Garden in about 10 years. This area is mostly chains and given a choice between Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill Carrabbas etc, Magiannos looks pretty good

Chicago might be rated high but the same cannot be said for the more sterile suburbs And when you live and work in suburbs, finding the best places in Chicago for the times you go downtown is more of a pain. So half of the time you are going to places you already know

Pay no attention to the Evanston homers, there is no reason to stay in Evanston or do anything there when considering the world class city next to it. In fact, there is no reason for me to even bother in Evanston for anything other than NU sports.

With those boys, you wanna stay close to the Lake. Navy Pier has many fun things, good eats, etc., and you can park there and walk to Ohio beach where them and pops can watch the girls playing volleyball and you can enjoy a really nice beach, complete with beach bar/restaurant.

If you have time, try visiting the Field Museum. It's hands down the best museum in Chicago [stuffed animals of just about every animal on earth and even larger animals in the ocean]. It's better than the NY Museum of Natural History outside central park imo. You didn't mention how you are getting around. Try staying at a hotel around Ohio or grand, close to Navy Pier. The Red line stops on grand and it's only a few blocks. Also take the red line up to Wrigley. If you need breakfast before the cub game, then stop at Ann Mather's on the red line on your way to Wrigley. Awesome breakfast. But there is a lot of do for out of towners at Navy Pier, especially two boys of that age.

If you are renting a car, park at Lincoln Park Zoo. It's cheap. Go to the free and wonderful zoo. And then head across the street to the beach. Pequid's pizza is my fav as it has the C cheese on the crust. Gino's if you like a cornbread crust. Best ribs, Twin Anchors. Best Italian, depends upon where you are staying. Greektown has the best greek food I've had in the USA. And of course best steaks/chops at various places downtown. Seafood, A place on Grand and Michigan across from Joes. JimmyV's or BobbyV's or something like that.

The Conrad Chicago is a brand new hotel on Erie and Rush....friends got a great rate and you can't beat the location.

Re the river cruise....also look at renting your own boat...your kids will love it....they rent them out of Marina Tower and you can go up and down the Chicago River.

Corbi, I'd like your list of top ten Italian restaurants.

The Conrad Chicago is a brand new hotel on Erie and Rush....friends got a great rate and you can't beat the location.

Re the river cruise....also look at renting your own boat...your kids will love it....they rent them out of Marina Tower and you can go up and down the Chicago River.

Corbi, I'd like your list of top ten Italian restaurants.

That's hard. There are so many and others I haven't tried that I am sure are outstanding. Here is my top 10. Coco Pazzo is my favorite but the rest are not really in order.

Coco Pazzo
Piccolo Sogno
Eataly (Pasta & Pizza and Fish Restaurants)
Spiaggia
La Scarola
Davanti Enoteca
Spacca Napoli
Francesca's on Taylor
Autre Monde
Riccardo Trattoria

Good list. Big fan of several and a couple I need to try.

Eataly is one of those places I avoid. Should probably give it another try.

That's hard. There are so many and others I haven't tried that I am sure are outstanding. Here is my top 10. Coco Pazzo is my favorite but the rest are not really in order.

Coco Pazzo
Piccolo Sogno
Eataly (Pasta & Pizza and Fish Restaurants)
Spiaggia
La Scarola
Davanti Enoteca
Spacca Napoli
Francesca's on Taylor
Autre Monde
Riccardo Trattoria

Love your list. Piccolo Sogno has the best patio in Chicago. The only place I'd add is Anteprima.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT