ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Legalizing Sports Gambling Was a Huge Mistake (Atlantic)

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
We all agree that there are too many d*mn sports gambling ads, but also, the evidence is pretty clear that legalized gambling decreases savings, increases bankruptcies, and even increases domestic violence.

I’ve got several former colleagues who now work to make payments at one of the major online sports sites more frictionless; to me, it’s as bad as if they were working for Phillip Morris in the 90s.

Gross.

We all agree that there are too many d*mn sports gambling ads, but also, the evidence is pretty clear that legalized gambling decreases savings, increases bankruptcies, and even increases domestic violence.

I’ve got several former colleagues who now work to make payments at one of the major online sports sites more frictionless; to me, it’s as bad as if they were working for Phillip Morris in the 90s.

Gross.

It's disgusting. What I hate seeing too is the teams getting so involved in it. When I can bear it, I watch Cincinnati Reds games and every night they have some game parlay thing they do with one of the gambling companies. It's part of the broadcast and it makes me ill.

It's also so easy to gamble on these sites with your phone, so it's like social media on crack for young kids. It is soooo easy to get addicted. I just hate that our sports leagues are celebrating this.

Gross.

I gamble every single day and my savings haven’t decreased, I never filed BK, and have never committed any type of domestic violence.

You can’t put a full body condom over every element to society. People spend too much and get in serious debt without gambling. There are too many d*amn guns, yet they are prevalent in school shootings, people drink themselves to death, yet there is a liquor store around every corner, obese people die from heart failure because of poor eating habits, yet there is fast food chain on nearly every block. There is evidence that recreational pot leads some to harder drugs which lead to addiction.

Disappointed to find out that IL went back to prohibiting action on state schools at brick & mortar locations effective 7/1. I was at Wrigley book room last Friday and wanted to pound the under on the Cats game.

It's disgusting. What I hate seeing too is the teams getting so involved in it. When I can bear it, I watch Cincinnati Reds games and every night they have some game parlay thing they do with one of the gambling companies. It's part of the broadcast and it makes me ill.

It's also so easy to gamble on these sites with your phone, so it's like social media on crack for young kids. It is soooo easy to get addicted. I just hate that our sports leagues are celebrating this.

This was written back before the Tigers were the hottest team in baseball, but refers to exactly what you’re talking about.

Don’t gamble kids.

This was written back before the Tigers were the hottest team in baseball, but refers to exactly what you’re talking about.

Don’t gamble kids.

Don’t drink, don’t smoke, lay off the drugs, don’t spend money you don’t have, don’t shot your enemy, don’t eat too much fatty meats, wear your helmet when riding your bicycle, wear your seatbelt, don’t play football it causes CTE, don’t swim with the sharks, don’t vape, don’t bully, kids.

Don’t drink, don’t smoke, lay off the drugs, don’t spend money you don’t have, don’t shot your enemy, don’t eat too much fatty meats, wear your helmet when riding your bicycle, wear your seatbelt, don’t play football it causes CTE, don’t swim with the sharks, don’t vape, don’t bully, kids.
Don’t post about hazing scandals 🤣

Gross.

Some people are problem gamblers. Some people are problem drinkers. Many many people are problem spenders.

This doesn’t mean I shouldn’t have the right to do any of those things responsibly and accept the consequences of doing so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT