ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Matta Axed, Holtmann to Replace Him

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Thad Matta is out at OSU. Not a huge surprise. Seems like he kind of ran out of gas.

He and Carmody have something in common: both lasted 13 seasons at their Big 10 gigs.

Wow!! Somewhat of a weird time in the year to bump your coach.

P.S. That HAS to help in the recruiting of Nance and other Ohio kids.

Thad Matta is out at OSU. Not a huge surprise. Seems like he kind of ran out of gas.

He and Carmody have something in common: both lasted 13 seasons at their Big 10 gigs.
He always seemed to bring in top talent but they did not seem to perform up to expectations. Still surprising but It also looks like recruiting has ebbed as well.

It all depends who the new coach is.......

Yeah they missed out on Archie Miller. If Matta had been fired earlier, I wonder if OSU would have gotten Archie and what would have happened with IU.

But now, why not Sean for OSU? One up IU with the big brother.

Or maybe back up a 'Mack' truck full of greenbacks to Xavier's Chris?

Top candidate for the OSU job....wait for it....Brad Underwood!

The only one funnier than that would be if Cuonzo Martin took the job and all those guys who he shuffled in shuffled over to Columbus.

Reactions: mikewebb68
There has been something wrong there for a while. The entire freshman class of 4 transferred last year. Then more transfer this year. I went to the Northwestern vs. OSU game in Columbus and the arena was half full. Easy to get cheap tickets. Not the way it used to be a few years ago.

There has been something wrong there for a while. The entire freshman class of 4 transferred last year. Then more transfer this year. I went to the Northwestern vs. OSU game in Columbus and the arena was half full. Easy to get cheap tickets. Not the way it used to be a few years ago.

Former Ohio U star Jeff Boals was one of Matta's top recruiters, maybe the best. He left to be HC at Stony Brook and that left big shoes to fill.

Prior to that, Matta had these dudes on his bench: John Groce, Alan Major (was HC UNC Charlotte before coming back to OSU last year), Archie Miller, and Brandon Miller (briefly Butler HC before disappearing).

Not sure how OT this is. Obviously, that is with slight sarcasm, but has the potential to have implications for multiple different recruits. In terms of Cohill and Nance, OSU was among the top suitors for either. Furthermore (and perhaps a bit more removed), if the Xavier coach ends up at OSU, Ayo might be more compelled to follow a coach who he has already discussed having a good relationship with to a Big 10 school. Will be interesting to see how this pans out, and how it might affect us.

Not sure how OT this is. Obviously, that is with slight sarcasm, but has the potential to have implications for multiple different recruits. In terms of Cohill and Nance, OSU was among the top suitors for either. Furthermore (and perhaps a bit more removed), if the Xavier coach ends up at OSU, Ayo might be more compelled to follow a coach who he has already discussed having a good relationship with to a Big 10 school. Will be interesting to see how this pans out, and how it might affect us.

I doubt this hurts OSU with future recruits. Matta is not exactly as dynamic as most of his brethren at the top of the B1G and certainly not nationally. This could hurt us more than help us if they bring in the right guy. I suspect they have a behind the scenes deal structured already. That is the only thing that explaines this timing.

I doubt this hurts OSU with future recruits. Matta is not exactly as dynamic as most of his brethren at the top of the B1G and certainly not nationally. This could hurt us more than help us if they bring in the right guy. I suspect they have a behind the scenes deal structured already. That is the only thing that explaines this timing.

+ 1
My first thought was this is terrible timing unless they have the next coach lined up already. He is probably busy stealing commits from what ever program he is coming from.

I read this morning that Matta is 49. I would have guessed 10 years older. As long as he's got some money saved up, perhaps getting out of coaching for a while will be the best thing for him. The coveted position of reddest-faced coach in the B1G is now open. I think Fran McCaffrey has got to be the early leader to take over that spot.

I read this morning that Matta is 49. I would have guessed 10 years older. As long as he's got some money saved up, perhaps getting out of coaching for a while will be the best thing for him. The coveted position of reddest-faced coach in the B1G is now open. I think Fran McCaffrey has got to be the early leader to take over that spot.

I like Matta. He's a southern Illinois guy and seemed like a decent guy.

Something was definitely happening within the program. Huge exodus of players and his team did not look to be competing the last two seasons. The roster is basically all four star players with near perfect basketball physical metrics and impressive high school and AAU resumes. Even with a bunch of guys leaving they should always be top four in the Big Ten.

Pollus seemed to become the de facto assistant head coach. Perhaps they had noone on staff with any player rapport? No idea.

With that said, if it was the AD's decision I have an issue with it. Matta's record at OSU was stellar by any standard.

I like Matta. He's a southern Illinois guy and seemed like a decent guy.

Something was definitely happening within the program. Huge exodus of players and his team did not look to be competing the last two seasons. The roster is basically all four star players with near perfect basketball physical metrics and impressive high school and AAU resumes. Even with a bunch of guys leaving they should always be top four in the Big Ten.

Pollus seemed to become the de facto assistant head coach. Perhaps they had noone on staff with any player rapport? No idea.

With that said, if it was the AD's decision I have an issue with it. Matta's record at OSU was stellar by any standard.
OSU had missed the last two dances (NIT last year an nothing this year) More troubling is that recruiting had dropped off dramatically the last couple years. As has been indicated, the fans were not exactly impressed and were staying away as well. Last good year they had was 2013. Throw in transfers, Unacceptable for the money behind the program. Put his position in jeopardy. Not sure you can fault the AD.

Supposedly Matta is a very ill man (medically, not mentally) and the negative recruiting against him due to his poor health was a factor.
I hope that's not true, but if it is, I wish him a full speedy recovery. He was a fun guy to hate in a basketball context, but 49 is way to young to be seriously ill.

Reactions: CatManTrue
I hope that's not true, but if it is, I wish him a full speedy recovery. He was a fun guy to hate in a basketball context, but 49 is way to young to be seriously ill.

I read that he had back surgery a few years ago and it screwed up a nerve to his foot so he has trouble walking, plus is still in pain from his back and needs a special chair on the bench. Having back problems myself, I can see how this could sap his energy.

Top candidate for the OSU job....wait for it....Brad Underwood!

The only one funnier than that would be if Cuonzo Martin took the job and all those guys who he shuffled in shuffled over to Columbus.

Santa, remember when I was 9 years old and asked for those toy trains? Well,you never gave me those trains. Please let me have this. Brad Underwood to OSU, ONE TIME!

If you were Butler, would you hire Matta? He has Butler background and is a former assistant to Collier. Maybe let him assemble his staff, then give him the year off he needs.

Butler could do a lot worse than Marta. OTOH, Collier knows how to find a coach.

Holtmann leaving could be a factor. Both Ayo and Lathon have Butler among their top schools, along with NU.
Depends on why they liked Butler. If it was the HC, then hello OSU. If it was the small-school atmosphere, maybe it depends on who takes over at Butler. I'm not sure where NU would come into play.

Depends on why they liked Butler. If it was the HC, then hello OSU. If it was the small-school atmosphere, maybe it depends on who takes over at Butler. I'm not sure where NU would come into play.
Well maybe because NU is in their top 3,5,10 and is the best academic school in the bunch.

If you were Butler, would you hire Matta? He has Butler background and is a former assistant to Collier. Maybe let him assemble his staff, then give him the year off he needs.

Butler could do a lot worse than Marta. OTOH, Collier knows how to find a coach.

Short answer: No
Long answer: It's 2017, not 2007. No.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT