ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NL will use DH for EVER :(

Darvish would yield a haul. He is a top 10-15 starter in baseball. The guy shows no sign of deterioration. In fact his velocity and stuff seems to be getting better.

Bryant and Schwarber are less likely to yield much because of performance and contract status. You’d have to find a match with another player looking for a change of scenery like an Aranado.

As far as Heyward is concerned, I don’t think the Cubs have any intention of trading him. He just posted his best back to back seasons at the plate, continues to be a gold glove right fielder and is a key leader in the clubhouse. He and Happ posted the highest WAR of any Cub position players this season.

Agree that Darvish would net some nice prospects. I think you overrate his value on recency bias, but he's a really good #2 on a good team or a fine #1 on a moderate to low-level team. Regardless of what you think in terms of his signs of deterioration, his age and injury history will lessen the value somewhat.

The problem about dealing Bryant for NA is that the Cubs are the ones having to throw in prospect sweeteners in the deal. Bryant on a one-year deal for a long-term signed Arrenado straight up is not going to happen, even with Arrenado having a disappointing season this year (Bryant provided even less value). I think the Cubs could net something for Bryant, but they have to recalibrate their dreams there.

And the only reason the Cubs aren't trading Heyward is because they can't. He's a mid-700's OPS guy who is living off of defensive reputation that isn't really backed up by defensive metrics anymore for $21mill a year. It's a long way from 2015 Jason Heyward. A partial season of mid-800's OPS isn't going to change that much. I'm rooting for him because he seems like a really awesome guy, but if he is who you are building your team around then you're in trouble.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I love to see the Yankees lose. They still haven't made the World Series since they fired Girardi!

Are all baseball fans as transfixed by the Rays as I am? Player after player I’ve never heard of, different lineups every day, little league style (2 innings, 2 innings, 2 innings, get ice cream) approach to pitching management.

They’re so creative and so smart and Mike g-d Brosseau (an undrafted free agent, not one of the 1,200 best prospects, and currently a better big leaguer than the number one overall pick !), for real.

They’re super fun, and it was fun watching Judge bang his head on that strange overhang.

Rays over ‘Stros
Braves over Dodgers
Braves over Rays

And Marcell Ozuna turns three good months into $180 millionish.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Who are you guys liking for the replacement? I like AJ Hinch or Alex Cora. Please no more former players cutting their managing at the major league level!

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I'm keeping an open mind regarding the new manager. I'd like them to consider Sandy Alomar or Omar Vizquel, but I realize they are both long shots with no (or little) major league managerial experience.

Who are you guys liking for the replacement? I like AJ Hinch or Alex Cora. Please no more former players cutting their managing at the major league level!

It's gonna be Hinch I think. They're not going within the organization and it's going to be someone who has managed in October. It's going to be a totally new coaching staff. Only one I can see sticking is Frank Menechino who is pretty well revered in baseball.

The White Sox just fired Vizquel in 2019, who was coaching for them in MiLB. He won't be coaching at the big league level for the White Sox or anyone else. He's a 1990s guy, not a 2020 guy.

It's gonna be Hinch I think. They're not going within the organization and it's going to be someone who has managed in October. It's going to be a totally new coaching staff. Only one I can see sticking is Frank Menechino who is pretty well revered in baseball.

The White Sox just fired Vizquel in 2019, who was coaching for them in MiLB. He won't be coaching at the big league level for the White Sox or anyone else. He's a 1990s guy, not a 2020 guy.

I would be happy with Hinch. I was happy to see Coop go to. He had his day but seems to have grown long in the tooth and not as effective.

I am intrigued about bring AJ back as a coach, but not manager. Maybe bench coach? I always loved his old school approach and heady play.

I would be happy with Hinch. I was happy to see Coop go to. He had his day but seems to have grown long in the tooth and not as effective.

I am intrigued about bring AJ back as a coach, but not manager. Maybe bench coach? I always loved his old school approach and heady play.
Supposedly, they have contacted Tony LaRussa. Talk about old school. This can’t be true can it?

Does Hinch speak Spanish?

Yes, he's fluent in Spanish

Engel is a 4th OF. His work with Menechino paid big dividends. Perfect 4th OF, pinch runner, hit vs. LHP guy.

LaRussa might come back in an advisor role. His days in the dugout are done. And it was Hawk who had the quote about firing Larussa I believe, not Reinsorf.

Also - don't buy any bullshit Nightengale says. He's consistently wrong. This part is all conjecture, but he's 76 or w/e.

Smart money is on Hinch. Whispers are it won't be Cora from what I'm hearing. This part I was actually told.

I'll know more in the coming days/weeks

Engel is a 4th OF. His work with Menechino paid big dividends. Perfect 4th OF, pinch runner, hit vs. LHP guy.

LaRussa might come back in an advisor role. His days in the dugout are done. And it was Hawk who had the quote about firing Larussa I believe, not Reinsorf.

Also - don't buy any bullshit Nightengale says. He's consistently wrong. This part is all conjecture, but he's 76 or w/e.

Smart money is on Hinch. Whispers are it won't be Cora from what I'm hearing. This part I was actually told.

So it's going b a cheater. Wow!

I assume you have seen the reports that the LAA have given the Sox permission to interview LaRussa for the manager job. Thoughts?

Hiring Larussa might be like if biden wins? The question is who will succeed him after 4 years??

Exactly why I don't want him. I could even see him hanging them up again after a year or two. Long term it's just not a fit. If he were 60 I'd fly him to Chicago myself

Are all baseball fans as transfixed by the Rays as I am? Player after player I’ve never heard of, different lineups every day, little league style (2 innings, 2 innings, 2 innings, get ice cream) approach to pitching management.

They’re so creative and so smart and Mike g-d Brosseau (an undrafted free agent, not one of the 1,200 best prospects, and currently a better big leaguer than the number one overall pick !), for real.

They’re super fun, and it was fun watching Judge bang his head on that strange overhang.

Rays over ‘Stros
Braves over Dodgers
Braves over Rays

And Marcell Ozuna turns three good months into $180 millionish.
We'll see how the Rays handle the pressure of game 7. They've got to be sweating it, but Morton's on the hill and he's a cool dude. Tomorrow should be fun.

Reactions: NUCat320
We'll see how the Rays handle the pressure of game 7. They've got to be sweating it, but Morton's on the hill and he's a cool dude. Tomorrow should be fun.
Dueling Game 7s were pretty cool. One went the way I was hoping (sorry @NU Houston), and one the way I didn’t.

It’s pretty cool that the best player in the ALCS was unknown a month ago.

Bellinger’s blast was pretty cool, and Mookie’s robbery of M-V-Free was amazing. Those Braves bullpen arms were taxed... getting your starter into the fourth (geez, maybe even the fifth or sixth?) still matters, as much as the Rays will prove that it doesn’t if you’re built that way.

Rays in 6.

The Braves will have plenty more chances, but, then again, this is at least the third year the Dodgers are saying the same thing.

Dueling Game 7s were pretty cool. One went the way I was hoping (sorry @NU Houston), and one the way I didn’t.

It’s pretty cool that the best player in the ALCS was unknown a month ago.

Bellinger’s blast was pretty cool, and Mookie’s robbery of M-V-Free was amazing. Those Braves bullpen arms were taxed... getting your starter into the fourth (geez, maybe even the fifth or sixth?) still matters, as much as the Rays will prove that it doesn’t if you’re built that way.

Rays in 6.

The Braves will have plenty more chances, but, then again, this is at least the third year the Dodgers are saying the same thing.
Dodgers in 6

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT