ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NL will use DH for EVER :(

Ok, Doc. “Put some dirt on it” luckily went out of style a generation ago.

What? 2 years is MORE than enough time to rehab for TJS. It takes most pitchers a year. Also, he said himself he expected to start the season in the rotation in chicago back in March. What changed?

Reactions: bobcrane14
What? 2 years is MORE than enough time to rehab for TJS. It takes most pitchers a year. Also, he said himself he expected to start the season in the rotation in chicago back in March. What changed?

Maybe he started throwing regularly/off a mound and his arm did not respond well. Possible. If I were him, I would not push it for an abbreviated season that may not even be completed. I'd rather take the extra time off and come back next spring.

Reactions: Fitz51
Why? Kopech’s challenges with anxiety and depression have been public knowledge for almost 2 years now.

Nevertheless. How about just not commenting? Why pile on if that is indeed the issue? Then again, Cooper hasn’t shown much of a concern over what he’s said to the media in the past.

Maybe he started throwing regularly/off a mound and his arm did not respond well. Possible. If I were him, I would not push it for an abbreviated season that may not even be completed. I'd rather take the extra time off and come back next spring.

That's different than him not being ready. None of this has anything to do with his arm anyways

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Nevertheless. How about just not commenting? Why pile on if that is indeed the issue? Then again, Cooper hasn’t shown much of a concern over what he’s said to the media in the past.

Well, you started by applauding Kopech for making the right decision and hoping other players followed. A clear indication you believed he was opting out over COVID. Then you switched gears and agree with a post that said it might have something to do with Kopech’s arm. Based on his well publicized mental health issues, it was at least as likely that this was the issue. Kopech spoke out to try and help others with similar challenges.

By all indications, Coop is a straight shooter. He may be cranky at times, but what has he said to the media that was so bad? He certainly has former players that speak highly of him. There is a reason he lasts through managerial changes.

Well, you started by applauding Kopech for making the right decision and hoping other players followed. A clear indication you believed he was opting out over COVID. Then you switched gears and agree with a post that said it might have something to do with Kopech’s arm. Based on his well publicized mental health issues, it was at least as likely that this was the issue. Kopech spoke out to try and help others with similar challenges.

By all indications, Coop is a straight shooter. He may be cranky at times, but what has he said to the media that was so bad? He certainly has former players that speak highly of him. There is a reason he lasts through managerial changes.

I had no idea about any mental health issues. They couldn't have been that well publicized.

Reactions: willycat

I still applaud him no matter what the reason. This is a bullshit season doomed to fail and filled with unnecessary medical risk. I can't say whether he's sitting out directly because of COVID, his arm or his mental health or some combo.

Reactions: willycat
James Fegan with a piece in The Athletic today revealing that Kopech had myriad reasons for sitting out, that Sox and Kopech were not attributing them publicly to his mental health, and that Cooper has been handled internally for his comments.

Reactions: corbi296
Why? Kopech’s challenges with anxiety and depression have been public knowledge for almost 2 years now.
I gotta tell you, the *worst* thing the Sox could do is treat Kopech like the Royals treated Greinke a decade ago.

Force that weak-minded baby to toughen up.

Imagine what Greinke would’ve become if he hadn’t gotten the kid gloves treatment.

Last edited:
I gotta tell you, the *worst* thing the Sox could do is treat Kopech like the Royals treated Greinke a year ago.

Force that weak-minded baby to toughen up.

Imagine what Greinke would’ve become if he hadn’t gotten the kid gloves treatment.
You mean he might have become like Serena Williams and Michael Phelps?

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not and admittedly my sarcasm meter might be on the fritz with all the $&@$ going on in the world. So if you have some background in treating mental health issues or the like, please enlighten me to what the White Sox should have done or should be doing with Kopech.

Mental health issues are no joke. Just like addictions, where the uniformed just say toughen up loser.

Reactions: NUCat320
You mean he might have become like Serena Williams and Michael Phelps?

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not and admittedly my sarcasm meter might be on the fritz with all the $&@$ going on in the world. So if you have some background in treating mental health issues or the like, please enlighten me to what the White Sox should have done or should be doing with Kopech.

Mental health issues are no joke. Just like addictions, where the uniformed just say toughen up loser.

I assumed it was sarcasm.

I assumed it was sarcasm.
It was. Greinke has had an excellent career in part because he was treated with empathy by his organization, well before mental health was treated with openness.

(I edited my post to say the Royals treated Greinke well a *decade* ago, which probably makes it more clear. Last year, the Royals treated Greinke like everyone does — with great fear.)
(Also, it was 15 years ago. Even more impressive.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
https://www.soxmachine.com/2018/11/15/spare-parts-michael-kopech-opens-up-after-trying-year/

https://sportsmockery.com/2020/01/c...chael-kopech-after-his-most-recent-interview/

They are several more articles from well read papers/sites like The Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun times, and Athletic. These are behind the pay walls, so I didn’t link.
Premium Baseball Board, PLEASE! I knew nothing off those issues either but it could be that I don't read stuff about that losing team on the South-side.

Reactions: NUCat320
Would bet that 99.9% of people didn't know that.

I would bet that only 0.1% of people would be simple enough to make the claim and show their a$$ on it. I think we all know in which group you reside in both cases. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT