ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NL will use DH for EVER :(

I also believe Schwaerber’s lack of consistency at the plate is the most disappointing part of his game right now. When I watched him play in the minors I saw a very selective hitter with a very good feel for the strike zone and a high contact rate for a guy with his kind of power. That selectivity and strike zone judgement has dissipated and it has badly impacted him. I always felt he had the potential to be a 260-270 hitter with a 350+ OBP and 40 HR/100 RBI year in and year out. So far he has fallen far short of my expectations in this regard.
Pretty consistent today! Cubs win! Cubs win!

Didn't he hit 40 HR's last season? Maybe it was 39. Not bad, you think?

Cubs aren’t going to win many games if they can’t consistently string base hits and base runners together. Expecting two run home runs to win you games day in and day out is a losing proposition.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Cubs aren’t going to win many games if they can’t consistently string base hits and base runners together. Expecting two run home runs to win you games day in and day out is a losing proposition.
I think the Cubs moonwalk into the playoffs. There starting pitchers have been very good and the bullpen is coming around. Happ has been their best player, and their guys of KB, Javy, and Rizzo have to be better than they have been. This is a big opportunity but they need to pick up a few pieces iMO to have a legit shot.

I think the Cubs moonwalk into the playoffs. There starting pitchers have been very good and the bullpen is coming around. Happ has been their best player, and their guys of KB, Javy, and Rizzo have to be better than they have been. This is a big opportunity but they need to pick up a few pieces iMO to have a legit shot.
In that division, it should be a cakewalk.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Oh didn't notice that the season has ended!
Have to admit, I expected the Cubs to have a better record than the Sox this season. Maybe they will and Good Ole Willy will have one final laugh. He certainly is in for a rough half dozens years starting either now or next year. Oh well, he always can go to his standard comebacks of attendance and Tax Payers Park. Comical that a NU diehard fan counters arguments with the attendance puns. Maybe the NU Willy supports really does stand for Nebraska University, cuz he sounds just like their fan base.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Have to admit, I expected the Cubs to have a better record than the Sox this season. Maybe they will and Good Ole Willy will have one final laugh. He certainly is in for a rough half dozens years starting either now or next year. Oh well, he always can go to his standard comebacks of attendance and Tax Payers Park. Comical that a NU diehard fan counters arguments with the attendance puns. Maybe the NU Willy supports really does stand for Nebraska University, cuz he sounds just like their fan base.
Guess what, I have frequently criticized NU attendance. especially the "fans" that sell there tickets to the visitors. They will have a better record and why would there be a rough period next season. You do know that they will still have Rizzo, Baez, Bote, Schwarber, Happ , Heyward, Caratini, Hendricks, Darvish and possibly Bryant and Lester, right?

Guess what, I have frequently criticized NU attendance. especially the "fans" that sell there tickets to the visitors. They will have a better record and why would there be a rough period next season. You do know that they will still have Rizzo, Baez, Bote, Schwarber, Happ , Heyward, Caratini, Hendricks, Darvish and possibly Bryant and Lester, right?
Age next year.

Rizzo 32 hitting .235 nice guy, but he is heartbeat of Cubs, if he hits 235 Cubs done
Javy 28 hitting 202 Expect more all the time from the best player on the team
Bote 28 hitting 228. No spot in line up if they resign KB
Babe 28 hitting 228. Career average .235 What you see is what you get.
Happ 26 hitting 295 Best player on team this year, Never a franchise player
JHey 31, you can’t be serious
Caratini 27, part time player hitting .243 with 0 HR’s. Maybe tonight playing Pitt.
Hendricks 31, easy to root for, 4 ERA isn’t an ace,
Yu 34, having great year, closer to the end than his 2012 year
KB 29, frequently hurt and Ricketts ain’t paying Boras’ asking price
Lester 37, tough as nails, past his prime.

This core excites you, then you have lost your mibbies. Here comes the best part. There is no 3-5 starter next year and you mentioned no one if the bullpen that needs to be totally reconstructed. Prospects are low end and no one is saving the franchise. The only hope going forward is the NL Central is so pathetic, they can hang on another couple years.

so Willy, this is called challenging a post. Hopefully, you can take your Cubbie blue glasses off and actually for once in your life support your statement instead of throwing S#&* against the wall with hot takes and quips from the 1980’s book of retorts.

18-16 Pythagorean record in that division is nothing to crow about. It’s only 34 games, and the Cubs should make the playoffs with little worry, but the window is closing in a few more years at best. The payroll situation will be more forgiving but you cannot buy a contender via free agency. They need to rebuild the pipeline now.

Age next year.

Rizzo 32 hitting .235 nice guy, but he is heartbeat of Cubs, if he hits 235 Cubs done
Caratini 27, part time player hitting .243 with 0 HR’s. Maybe tonight playing Pitt.

This core excites you, then you have lost your mibbies. Here comes the best part. There is no 3-5 starter next year and you mentioned no one if the bullpen that needs to be totally reconstructed. Prospects are low end and no one is saving the franchise. The only hope going forward is the NL Central is so pathetic, they can hang on another couple years.

so Willy, this is called challenging a post. Hopefully, you can take your Cubbie blue glasses off and actually for once in your life support your statement instead of throwing S#&* against the wall with hot takes and quips from the 1980’s book of retorts.

The Cubs and White Sox are definitely in different “life cycles” in terms of team development. Theo’s core is exiting its prime while Hahn’s is just entering its prime. The White Sox could feasibly be looking at a longer window of success with some of Hahn’s “roll the dice” early long-term signings that seem to have worked pretty darn well so far (Moncada, Robert, Jimenez, etc.).

Age next year.

I will take this Cubs team over the Sox for at least another 2-3 years. The Sox would kill for players like Rizzo, Happ, Schwarber and Baez, while Contreas is better at catcher then any of the Sox guys, Also Hendricks and Darvish are way above anything the Sox have as starters. dream on as the Sox did nothing at the trade deadline and it will come back and bite them in the ass. Cubs win... sox LOSE!

I will take this Cubs team over the Sox for at least another 2-3 years. The Sox would kill for players like Rizzo, Happ, Schwarber and Baez, while Contreas is better at catcher then any of the Sox guys, Also Hendricks and Darvish are way above anything the Sox have as starters. dream on as the Sox did nothing at the trade deadline and it will come back and bite them in the ass. Cubs win... sox LOSE!

I realize this is kind of your hill to die on, but... Robert, Anderson, Moncada, Madrigal, and Jimenez are one hell of a core of position players to build around and are all under team control through 2024 (plus Abreu through 2022). Sox aren't as good on the pitching side, but Giolito and Keuchel should at least be a middle-rotation starters for at least a few more years while high-ceiling guys like Cease and Kopech take their lumps to develop.

Face it, the White Sox have a pretty good thing going for at least the next three or four years after this one.

The Cubs and White Sox are definitely in different “life cycles” in terms of team development. Theo’s core is exiting its prime while Hahn’s is just entering its prime. The White Sox could feasibly be looking at a longer window of success with some of Hahn’s “roll the dice” early long-term signings that seem to have worked pretty darn well so far (Moncada, Robert, Jimenez, etc.).

Where is the starting pitching? They have not secured core starting pitching capable of competing for a World Series. If Giolito is your ace when the playoffs roll around, you are not getting very far. Until Hahn shows how he plans to secure the front line pitching necessary to win in the playoffs without depleting his MLB core, i will continue to be skeptical about the White Sox.

Where is the starting pitching? They have not secured core starting pitching capable of competing for a World Series. If Giolito is your ace when the playoffs roll around, you are not getting very far. Until Hahn shows how he plans to secure the front line pitching necessary to win in the playoffs without depleting his MLB core, i will continue to be skeptical about the White Sox.

I don't follow the White Sox very closely, but I'm guessing the plan is to let Cease and Kopech develop while evaluating higher-cost front-of-the-rotation free agent signings as necessary. It's basically what the Cubs did in signing Lester and trading for Quintana, not exactly reinventing the wheel.

Reactions: hoosboot
Giolito is a real-deal ace, among the top ten starters in the sport.

And Madrigal has come out of the chute looking like a modern Rod Carew, though Little Nicky could stand to take a few more pitches.

To this Cubs fans eyes, the Sox look scary good.

Abreu has been criminally underappreciated basically since his second year in the league; as a baseball fan, I’d love to see him blast three or four dingers in October.

DARVISH!!!

Turned 34 (as of 8/16) this year. He's having an absolute monster of a season, but is a pretty "high mileage" pitcher having pitched professionally since he was 18 (1,268 IP in Japan before coming over, 1,094 IP in MLB to date). Unfortunately, the wheels tend to come off quite quickly for those kind of guys if/when they start going.

[/QUOTE

What? Giolito was 6th in the Cy Young voting last year and already threw a no-no this season. He is easily the best starting pitcher in Chicago. I would take hover Yu, who finds ways to lose big games or the Professor who has the head but not the stuff to be a number 1. Hahn needs to get another quality SP for next season. Giolito, Keuchel, FA at the top. 2 out of the group of Cease, Kopech, Dunning, Lopez and Rodon and you have a very good rotation. The bullpen needs a few crafty veterans to join an abundance of live arms.

Hahn has made one bonehead trade and the others were great. I have confidence he’ll pick up what he needs. Just don’t trade Andrew Vaughn who is the next young stud in the wings. Very good young players under club control. This team isn’t even close to its ceiling. My biggest concern is Ricky who can at times do some bizarre stuff out there, but Hahn will have his choice of Managers when this core matures,

Reactions: hoosboot
Giolito is a real-deal ace, among the top ten starters in the sport.

And Madrigal has come out of the chute looking like a modern Rod Carew, though Little Nicky could stand to take a few more pitches.

To this Cubs fans eyes, the Sox look scary good.

Abreu has been criminally underappreciated basically since his second year in the league; as a baseball fan, I’d love to see him blast three or four dingers in October.

Giolito top ten? No chance. I would put him in the bottom half of number 1 starters in the league. The rest of their rotation compares even less favorably. Their starting pitching will be exposed if they make it to the playoffs.

Lol, you are out of your mind if you think Giolito is among the top ten starters in the league and better than Darvish. No comparison.

Setting Giolito aside, you are aware that you need more that one good starter to win a playoff series. Right?

I don't follow the White Sox very closely, but I'm guessing the plan is to let Cease and Kopech develop while evaluating higher-cost front-of-the-rotation free agent signings as necessary. It's basically what the Cubs did in signing Lester and trading for Quintana, not exactly reinventing the wheel.

You think Reinsdorf is going to shell out the money it takes to sign a top end starter in FA? I don’t. With how poorly Hahn has drafted since taking over as GM, they don’t have the trade chips to trade for multiple quality starters without cannabilizing their MLB roster. My opinion.

You think Reinsdorf is going to shell out the money it takes to sign a top end starter in FA? I don’t. With how poorly Hahn has drafted since taking over as GM, they don’t have the trade chips to trade for multiple quality starters without cannabilizing their MLB roster. My opinion.

I think that the long-term, team-friendly deals to which Hahn signed his core position players could/should make it easier to straight-up "buy" starting pitching even with a relatively tight budget.

Anderson, Moncada, Jimenez, and Robert will together cost $20.25MM in 2021 while Madrigal, Cease, and Kopech are all on pre-arb minimum contracts. Those four will be $36.6MM in 2022 with Kopech headed through arbitration the first time. Anderson has a $12.5MM club option in 2023, but that group would cost $50.1MM that year with Cease hitting his first arb year.

By contrast, Jason Heyward will cost the Cubs $23.5MM in 2021, $24.5MM in 2022, and $24.5MM in 2023 with enormous paydays coming up in the next couple years to Baez, Bryant, and Contreras (only slightly lower payday in order for Schwarber).

I can tell you which contract situation I would want if I were a GM and it's not the team I prefer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT