ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NL will use DH for EVER :(

Tried to find the Cubs game tonight to check out Nico Hoerner. No such luck, Comcast not up and running. Might have to invite myself over to Willy’s humble abode to catch a game.

This was told to me by someone in the Cubs org, but haven't talked to him since. He said it was a done deal, but I don't know what the hold up is either

Tried to find the Cubs game tonight to check out Nico Hoerner. No such luck, Comcast not up and running. Might have to invite myself over to Willy’s humble abode to catch a game.
No luck at my place either but reports are suggesting that Comcast and Marquee will sign a deal early tomorrow.

No luck at my place either but reports are suggesting that Comcast and Marquee will sign a deal early tomorrow.

Willy, for first time in your long and completely unstoried history, you are correct. They are announcing tomorrow morning. Confirmed it like 20 mins ago

Reds and Marlins had 7 COVID positive players today. Rest of team goes on their merry ways. What could go wrong?

Lol, Nico looks sharp.

Was expecting you and Willy to get puffy chested about Babe first.

Schwarber also looks good but I still think he is capable of playing better than what he has shown. When I watched Schwarber play in the minors what really impressed me was that he was a power hitter with great plate discipline and a great eye. He rarely swung at anything out of the zone. Since he has gotten to the majors I think he has sacrificed some of that strike zone discipline to his detriment. Still a little too much swing and miss in him right now. I think he will be at his peak when he goes back to the Schwarber of the minors.

Last edited:
Another great outfield putout from Schwaber today. He also made a great head first sliding catch last week. He is an above average MLB left fielder now.

Reactions: willycat
Gramps Rossy must be slow then as he has taken him out for Defensive a few times already this year.

Honestly, I have been watching on and off and have not seen him replaced. That being said, When you have Albert Almora as a late inning defensive replacement, most outfielders in the majors would get taken out in the late innings of a game you are leading.

Honestly, I have been watching on and off and have not seen him replaced. That being said, When you have Albert Almora as a late inning defensive replacement, most outfielders in the majors would get taken out in the late innings of a game you are leading.
No question Almora is elite defensively. The move Ross makes is bring in Almora to play CF and slide Happ over to LF. Happ is not elite defensively, but he is staying in over Shwarbs. Adam Engel comes in for the Sox for defense. He too is elite defensively. Engel and Almora are similar players.

No question Almora is elite defensively. The move Ross makes is bring in Almora to play CF and slide Happ over to LF. Happ is not elite defensively, but he is staying in over Shwarbs. Adam Engel comes in for the Sox for defense. He too is elite defensively. Engel and Almora are similar players.

How often does Schwarb play the role of DH this year?

schwarb has played 3 full games in the field, been defensively replaced 6x and DH 3x.

Ross must not appreciate his above average defensive capabilities...
It just sounds like you Sox fans who don't appreciate or even understand his defensive capabilities. Oh and how are all of those DH guys doing in the field on the south-side?

It just sounds like you Sox fans who don't appreciate or even understand his defensive capabilities. Oh and how are all of those DH guys doing in the field on the south-side?
I got to hand it to you Willy, you are consistent if nothing else. Even if it is consistently wrong.

Not sure of who “all of the DH guys” are, but the Chicago WHITE SOX are Third in MLB in fielding percentage and have made 3 errors all season. Not bad for a team of all DH’s. The beloved are 14th in MLB in fielding percentages and have committed 7 errors.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I got to hand it to you Willy, you are consistent if nothing else. Even if it is consistently wrong.

Not sure of who “all of the DH guys” are, but the Chicago WHITE SOX are Third in MLB in fielding percentage and have made 3 errors all season. Not bad for a team of all DH’s. The beloved are 14th in MLB in fielding percentages and have committed 7 errors.
Could start with Encarnacion, then Abreu, followed by Jimenez. then Engel and Collins and Randel.

Could start with Encarnacion, then Abreu, followed by Jimenez. then Engel and Collins and Randel.
Encarnacion is the DH so you got me there. Abreu is adequate at 1B. Jimenez is improving. I will take the 35 Hr’s to go with the 3 errors a season. Engel is gold glove quality. Collins is the third string C and don’t know who Randal is.

3 errors all season Willy and one of them is a dropped third strike.

Encarnacion is the DH so you got me there. Abreu is adequate at 1B. Jimenez is improving. I will take the 35 Hr’s to go with the 3 errors a season. Engel is gold glove quality. Collins is the third string C and don’t know who Randal is.

3 errors all season Willy and one of them is a dropped third strike.
Oh OK, just as long as you are happy. I know I am as the Cubs lead the NL in wins!

Well, there is this.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I don't think I've ever one time seen Willy post a fact or statistic on this board or the rant board to complement an argument of his. Just types in all caps like a teenager because he thinks yelling helps drive his arguments home.

"Oh yeah I forgot, Donald Trump won because of RUSSSIA!!!"
"The sox who??? They dont have fans so YOUR WRONG!!! I do not care about the Sox but I talk about them NON STOP"

Newsflash willy: screaming doesn't help make you sound smarter. It. makes you sound quite dumb actually

Like I've said a million times, he writes like a 12 year old girl and it's quite literally impossible to take him seriously. Most annoying poster on these boards, and these boards have Turk and his pseudonyms

Reactions: Fitz51 and hoosboot
Maybe the Cubs can use him as a late inning defensive replacement since he isn't contributing much with his bat. ;)

And Hoerner looks great. 🥶

I also believe Schwaerber’s lack of consistency at the plate is the most disappointing part of his game right now. When I watched him play in the minors I saw a very selective hitter with a very good feel for the strike zone and a high contact rate for a guy with his kind of power. That selectivity and strike zone judgement has dissipated and it has badly impacted him. I always felt he had the potential to be a 260-270 hitter with a 350+ OBP and 40 HR/100 RBI year in and year out. So far he has fallen far short of my expectations in this regard.

Reactions: hoosboot
I also believe Schwaerber’s lack of consistency at the plate is the most disappointing part of his game right now. When I watched him play in the minors I saw a very selective hitter with a very good feel for the strike zone and a high contact rate for a guy with his kind of power. That selectivity and strike zone judgement has dissipated and it has badly impacted him. I always felt he had the potential to be a 260-270 hitter with a 350+ OBP and 40 HR/100 RBI year in and year out. So far he has fallen far short of my expectations in this regard.

For all the grief I give, I actually totally agree and actually really like Schwaerbs as a player. I'm really surprised that he's not a consistent .900+ OPS guy and that the reason he isn't is that he isn't hitting for all that much power. I thought his power potential was substantial. His OBP is pretty high, but for as much as he walks he strikes out a ton, too, which I find unsual. He's the "three true outcomes" poster child minus the power (which is probably the most important of the three true outcomes.)

And I'm pretty happy with Eloy's development. He's still an immature hitter who hasn't adjust well to offspeed stuff, but he's a beast at the dish more often than not.

What do you think is wrong with Hoerner these days? He seems lost.

For all the grief I give, I actually totally agree and actually really like Schwaerbs as a player. I'm really surprised that he's not a consistent .900+ OPS guy and that the reason he isn't is that he isn't hitting for all that much power. I thought his power potential was substantial. His OBP is pretty high, but for as much as he walks he strikes out a ton, too, which I find unsual. He's the "three true outcomes" poster child minus the power (which is probably the most important of the three true outcomes.)

And I'm pretty happy with Eloy's development. He's still an immature hitter who hasn't adjust well to offspeed stuff, but he's a beast at the dish more often than not.

What do you think is wrong with Hoerner these days? He seems lost.

I haven’t been watching the games lately so I don’t know. I know he started strong and had cooled off a bit but didn’t realize he was struggling too badly. Pitchers in the league adjust to young hitters once they develop an advanced scouting report and it is Hoerner’s job to make further adjustments to counter what the pitchers are doing. Sometimes that takes time. He’ll be fine. The kid is talented and has a great make up.

Didn't he hit 40 HR's last season? Maybe it was 39. Not bad, you think?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT