ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NL will use DH for EVER :(

As a Reds' fan who is watching his team enter tanking mode yet again, I am looking to officially adopt another team to root for this season. Right now, I am leaning toward the Blue Jays. Anyone want to argue for others? (Note: I ain't rooting for the Cubs or Cards, so that will save some of you some time)
Jump on the Sox bandwagon. Lots of young, exciting kids with personality in spades. And I promise to root for the Reds - especially when they play the Cubs :)

Reactions: TheC
The twins lineup is awesome but their pitching is still awful, and will still be awful even if they add Montas or Manaea. That said I love that they're going for it. More teams should act like this. Majority of other teams would have torn it down and won 60 games for 3 years straight after the 2021 season the Twins had

The twins lineup is awesome but their pitching is still awful, and will still be awful even if they add Montas or Manaea. That said I love that they're going for it. More teams should act like this. Majority of other teams would have torn it down and won 60 games for 3 years straight after the 2021 season the Twins had
Sox gonna get one of those A's pitchers? Everything else is in pretty good shape.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I don’t get it. Harrison is Leury on steroids . Kelly is a decent pick up, but Velasquez stinks. Need a SP as Kopech can’t be expected for 175-200 IP, what happened to Conforto. This defense will be bad.
If you bring in conforto, what do you do Vaughan and sheets? I’m good with the lineup. I would also like to see another pitcher or two but don’t want to be raped by billy beane again.

Let’s see how the season plays out. Biggest question for me is what Rodon does. Was it Jerry or damaged goods? That will be my barometer.

Let’s see how the season plays out. Biggest question for me is what Rodon does. Was it Jerry or damaged goods? That will be my barometer.
IMHO, they need a left-handed starter who could be a 4/5 to eat some innings around Kopech, Keuchel, Lopez, etc. A mid- 4's ERA guy would be lovely. Brett Anderson would be terrific, but doubtful that Jerry spends what he wants. Otherwise, I don't have any problem with the Harrison signing and am fine with Vaughn, Sheets, Eloy, and Engel handling the RF/LF/DH duties.

IMHO, they need a left-handed starter who could be a 4/5 to eat some innings around Kopech, Keuchel, Lopez, etc. A mid- 4's ERA guy would be lovely. Brett Anderson would be terrific, but doubtful that Jerry spends what he wants. Otherwise, I don't have any problem with the Harrison signing and am fine with Vaughn, Sheets, Eloy, and Engel handling the RF/LF/DH duties.
I sure hope Lopez isn’t in the rotation. Harrison screams utility player to me. In his mid 30’s I don’t see him getting much better. Not a good off season for Hahn. He likely will have to overpay at the trade deadline.

I sure hope Lopez isn’t in the rotation. Harrison screams utility player to me. In his mid 30’s I don’t see him getting much better. Not a good off season for Hahn. He likely will have to overpay at the trade deadline.

He's not. Need to have rotation depth though and he did a decent job as a long reliever/emergency starter last year. Need to have 6 or 7 starter options over the course of a season.

And Harrison being Leury on steroids is fine for what the White Sox need. We're talking the #9 hitter in a lineup that is going to score a ton of runs. He provides a 700 OPS with a professional presence and lets Leury be the super-utility guy and they'll be fine. The pen looks like a potential monster, so I'm most concerned about a lefty starter giving hitters a different look in each series. If Keuchel could rebound and just be that mid-high 4's ERA guy as a 4/5, they'd even take that (although i think they'd ideally like one more starter in the mix.)

Would be nice if Engel could stay healthy

Reactions: hoosboot
If you bring in conforto, what do you do Vaughan and sheets? I’m good with the lineup. I would also like to see another pitcher or two but don’t want to be raped by billy beane again.
Trade sheets for pitching... it's very simple man

Sheets is already like 25 years old and has had more than ample time to prove himself. Yeah, he looked good in his limited plate appearances last year at the MLB level, but I'd sell high 10000000%

Vaughn will be a star. Just trust me there.

Trade sheets for pitching... it's very simple man

Sheets is already like 25 years old and has had more than ample time to prove himself. Yeah, he looked good in his limited plate appearances last year at the MLB level, but I'd sell high 10000000%

Vaughn will be a star. Just trust me there.
I would love if that were the solution, but what kind of pitching is Sheets going to get you? I don't think he's the centerpiece of anything all that substantial, but maybe I'm totally missing the boat on that.

Platoon DH
Meh - hold some bullets for trade mid season. Maybe kimbrel or Mercedes’ will develop some value. And conforto isn’t vax and who knows what drama that could add. Don’t need a rizzo Contreras club house. He is literally the only top FA remaining? Why?

I’m convinced Sox have a enough to post season. See who develops, who has a hot year, find something to trade.

I would love to see an effective Lopez spot starting. Also curious about Parke.

I would love if that were the solution, but what kind of pitching is Sheets going to get you? I don't think he's the centerpiece of anything all that substantial, but maybe I'm totally missing the boat on that.
Look at what sox traded for 1 year of Lance Lynn. Sheets is better than that. That said, it's a supply/demand thing as always. Lots of teams want starting pitching right now, especially with the shortened spring.

Look at what sox traded for 1 year of Lance Lynn. Sheets is better than that. That said, it's a supply/demand thing as always. Lots of teams want starting pitching right now, especially with the shortened spring.
From your keyboard to God's ears, but I'm not sure Sheets is more enticing to a trade partner than Dunning was at the time he was the centerpiece of the Lynn deal. Both were strong but unspectacular in limited exposure at the major league level. I'd be 100% in if Sheets could land the Sox a solid #4 LHP.

From your keyboard to God's ears, but I'm not sure Sheets is more enticing to a trade partner than Dunning was at the time he was the centerpiece of the Lynn deal. Both were strong but unspectacular in limited exposure at the major league level. I'd be 100% in if Sheets could land the Sox a solid #4 LHP.
I messed up completely. I was thinking it was Alex Call for some reason, major brain cramp.

That said, Dunning was also coming off an injury and isn't young per se. Yes, his prospect pedigree was better than Sheets, but not by THAT much. Sheets could theoretically be a, maybe THE piece for a Manaea package, who's a rental. We'll see

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosboot
I’ll leave these thoughts from a smart White Sox fan here.

Last edited:
Need another SP, will get by trade deadline. Rodon is a big risk health wise. Like all sports regular season is meaningless.

How was the Cubs off-season? JayHey still starting? Is Hoerner going to be a starter?
LOL, we are rebuilding. no claim to the contrary and I would argue the Cubs had a better offseason than the Sox, which is pretty pathetic for a team that claims they are competing for a World Series title.

Like I said when it happened, the Sox f’ed up big time trading for Kimbrel and compounded that mistake by picking up his option because they were unwilling to admit the trade was a mistake. That cost them a comp pick because they were unwilling to pick Up Kimbrel’s option and run the low risk that Rodon would accept their QO. Now they have no Rodon, no comp pick and are stuck with a high priced relief pitcher who they bought high on and whose performance over time will make him untradeable.

Jerry is a cheap ass but Hahn deserves all the criticism that is coming his way.

LOL, we are rebuilding. no claim to the contrary and I would argue the Cubs had a better offseason than the Sox, which is pretty pathetic for a team that claims they are competing for a World Series title.

Like I said when it happened, the Sox f’ed up big time trading for Kimbrel and compounded that mistake by picking up his option because they were unwilling to admit the trade was a mistake. That cost them a comp pick because they were unwilling to pick Up Kimbrel’s option and run the low risk that Rodon would accept their QO. Now they have no Rodon, no comp pick and are stuck with a high priced relief pitcher who they bought high on and whose performance over time will make him untradeable.

Jerry is a cheap ass but Hahn deserves all the criticism that is coming his way.
Non sense. The Cubs signed a Japanese player that will get everyone excited like Fukodome and did little else. Miley and Stroman are 4-5’s. Way overpaid for Stroman who will win some meaningless games. Team still has basically nothing and if they win 72 they will be lucky.

Non sense. The Cubs signed a Japanese player that will get everyone excited like Fukodome and did little else. Miley and Stroman are 4-5’s. Way overpaid for Stroman who will win some meaningless games. Team still has basically nothing and if they win 72 they will be lucky.
We can debate all day long about the merit of the players that were added. Obviously a lot of people disagree with you. What we can’t debate is the fact that as a team with no expectations to contend for anything, the Cubs were more aggressive, spent more money and improved their roster in the offseason more than the Sox, a team who views themselves as a World Seties contender. That’s pretty pathetic in my opinion but don’t take my word for it, just listen to a lot of Sox fans who are saying exactly the same thing. They are right. Jerry is a tight wad who will squander the White Sox window and Hahn is quickly proving himself to not be up to the task.

We can debate all day long about the merit of the players that were added. Obviously a lot of people disagree with you. What we can’t debate is the fact that as a team with no expectations to contend for anything, the Cubs were more aggressive, spent more money and improved their roster in the offseason more than the Sox, a team who views themselves as a World Seties contender. That’s pretty pathetic in my opinion but don’t take my word for it, just listen to a lot of Sox fans who are saying exactly the same thing. They are right. Jerry is a tight wad who will squander the White Sox window and Hahn is quickly proving himself to not be up to the task.
Like I said nonsense. Hahn blew the Kimbrel deal. That’s pretty obvious. The beloved Theo blew the Quintana deal, that essentially made the WS a contender. Hoerner who you trump as a future star will be a platoon player. Madrigal is better. Had to sign Simmons who you could out hit. The Cubs have one of the weakest lineups in MLB. You know what is pathetic? The Cubs can put crap on a stick and still draw 2M, yet Ricketts signs guys like Miley, Simmons, and Clint Frazier because they know as long as the beer is cold it doesn’t matter who they put out there. I wouldn’t be bragging about what the Cubs brought in and justify it as we’re “rebuilding” , but whatever makes you get thru a 70 win season.

• Love
Like I said nonsense. Hahn blew the Kimbrel deal. That’s pretty obvious. The beloved Theo blew the Quintana deal, that essentially made the WS a contender. Hoerner who you trump as a future star will be a platoon player. Madrigal is better. Had to sign Simmons who you could out hit. The Cubs have one of the weakest lineups in MLB. You know what is pathetic? The Cubs can put crap on a stick and still draw 2M, yet Ricketts signs guys like Miley, Simmons, and Clint Frazier because they know as long as the beer is cold it doesn’t matter who they put out there. I wouldn’t be bragging about what the Cubs brought in and justify it as we’re “rebuilding” , but whatever makes you get thru a 70 win season.
This is not a whataboutisn comparison. This is about the Sox having a shit offseason and potentially wasting a championship window because of a cheap owner and an overrated GM. Competitive Windows close a lot more quickly than people realize. The Cubs can speak to that.

I am surprised Willy has not chimed in yet. Haven't seen him post for a while. Hope all is well.,

Seems like a good Kimbrel-Pollock deal for the Sox. Pollock never stays healthy, but you can hope 30 of his 120 or so games happen in September and October.

Also probably tells you something about what the Sox think of Vaughn, at least this season.

ADVERTISEMENT