ADVERTISEMENT

OT: PSU should fire Franklin, right?

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
It’s one thing to get the cover against NU, but that home loss yesterday was pretty excruciating, given the circumstances. I thought PSU was better than accepting “third place most years, and we’ll beat Maryland.” Oh well.

OC got canned today, so they’ve got a scapegoat.

I root against PSU vs. OSU and Michigan but he should keep the job. His QB is not playoff level but the team has won a lot of games and the recruiting is at a high level. Not the favorite coach but he is up against some great competition. If this were NFL maybe different discussion. He left Vandy in a bad way. I am just glad Braun is working out.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Was listening to the Michigan radio feed. The Michigan announcers were ripping him. “He recruits well”, they said, laughing after another horrible decision.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I was in Ann Arbor in a downtown watering hole, and even the Blue fans thought he was calling a terrible game. He completely panicked when he was chasing points. It was comical watching this loser’s face as Michigan threw a grand total of 1 pass all the second half. He might be able to recruit but he can’t coach worth a s***. Always someone else fault with James.

Reactions: TheC and No Chores
Well, PSU is beating everyone else like a drum. I think Franklin is just good - and loves - being in front of a camera. I have never heard of him doing anything unethical, etc, but I am willing to be proven wrong. I didn't follow it closely for sure, but I have no doubt PSU ran up a few scores this year, so that's no good, but he's in company with Michigan and OSU. I didn't watch the game closely yesterday but it was tight with one explosive run sealing the deal. I find it very interesting that the greatest DL of all time - if you believe the hype - was ran on for every(?) play in the second half.

I must be easy because I like Fleck also. He's a talker but he's careful to be gracious. He can sure sell and has done a great job elevating Minnesota football. Tough year, however. Sounds like they have been decimated by injuries.

"I have never heard of him doing anything unethical, etc, but I am willing to be proven wrong. "

When Franklin left Vanderbilt for PSU he told all the Vanderbilt kids he was recruiting that they should not go to Vanderbilt after all but join him in Happy Valley.

It’s one thing to get the cover against NU, but that home loss yesterday was pretty excruciating, given the circumstances. I thought PSU was better than accepting “third place most years, and we’ll beat Maryland.” Oh well.

OC got canned today, so they’ve got a scapegoat.
Yes, he should be fired. I say that under the assumption that PSU Davies itslef as peers of OSU and Mich. 4-16 against those 2 is atrocious and warrants termination.

If the school is happy winning 10 games every year and playing in the citrus bowl, then they should retain Him.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
"I have never heard of him doing anything unethical, etc, but I am willing to be proven wrong. "

When Franklin left Vanderbilt for PSU he told all the Vanderbilt kids he was recruiting that they should not go to Vanderbilt after all but join him in Happy Valley.

The Isiah Humphries situation was swept under the rug and on the surface feels way worse than what NU players were accused of doing.

Yes, he should be fired. I say that under the assumption that PSU Davies itslef as peers of OSU and Mich. 4-16 against those 2 is atrocious and warrants termination.

If the school is happy winning 10 games every year and playing in the citrus bowl, then they should retain Him.
It took Hairballs something like 6 years to be able to finally beat dOSU and get to top, Franklin recruits well but he is up against two of the top programs in the country in his division and he has not one but two big hurdles to overcome. It is BIGs version of super conference. Hard to be judged totally by your record against those two. I believe that they have a first year QB so harder to get offensive consistency against top Ds. He is third in a three team race. Very good but not great and right now great is what it takes to beat those two

Last edited:
Reactions: Figrating
I've always thought of Penn State as sort of an Oldsmobile type college football program. They're in no hurry to change and wish JoePa could still be roaming the sidelines as a zombie. They value consistency over all else, and are in no way a Texas A&M type of program - being stuck in neutral is just fine.

Franklin has never had a losing season at Penn State and just won the Rose Bowl last year. He's not going anywhere.

I've always thought of Penn State as sort of an Oldsmobile type college football program. They're in no hurry to change and wish JoePa could still be roaming the sidelines as a zombie. They value consistency over all else, and are in no way a Texas A&M type of program - being stuck in neutral is just fine.

Franklin has never had a losing season at Penn State and just won the Rose Bowl last year. He's not going anywhere.
He was booed off the field. Winning the rose bowl doesn’t mean shiznit these days. PSU sees themselves in the same company as OSU and Michigan. Being 4-16 against them does not sit well. If he goes ofer against then next year, his seat will be hot.

My understanding is that PJ will be rowing his boat out of Minneapolis later this year.

Reactions: mickbula
He was booed off the field. Winning the rose bowl doesn’t mean shiznit these days. PSU sees themselves in the same company as OSU and Michigan. Being 4-16 against them does not sit well. If he goes ofer against then next year, his seat will be hot.
I guess I would simply say...if the shoe were on the other foot for Michigan or Ohio State, they wouldn't have waited to get to 4-16, and that's the difference - Franklin is no more (or less) the problem than any other part of that operation.

The Isiah Humphries situation was swept under the rug and on the surface feels way worse than what NU players were accused of doing.
There was also a report of him trying to contact a rape victim at Vanderbilt. Apparently, he tried to convince her not to press charges against a football player.

Can’t believe people are saying he should be fired. But many on this board think Fitz shouldn’t have been after 4-20.

Reactions: Frabjous
Can’t believe people are saying he should be fired. But many on this board think Fitz shouldn’t have been after 4-20.
I am in the camp that Fitz should have been fired for going 4-20 but not for the “hazing scandal”. That being said, PSU is one of the fee
Schools where winning the BIG (if not a national championship) is the goal. This is his 10th year at Ped st and he has 1 league title and zero playoff appearances. At a school like ped st, thats failure.

Reactions: WaveJumper
I guess I would simply say...if the shoe were on the other foot for Michigan or Ohio State, they wouldn't have waited to get to 4-16, and that's the difference - Franklin is no more (or less) the problem than any other part of that operation.
Again Hairballs was something like 0-5 against dOSU before Michigan beat them

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT