ADVERTISEMENT

Hello, Adversity

NJcatsfan

Nov 21, 2004
The guys played out of their minds during the epic winning streak, especially for that magical week of Pur/IU/Io_a. Then the wheels came off the cart in the second half at Illinois, blowing a big lead and losing (which they almost did against IU until Boo saved the day). Today at Maryland was just ugly. They hit everything, especially from 3 (64%!) and NU was out of sorts. The second half got really out of hand. Again.

It’s time for another gut check. The ‘Cats have earned themselves a spot in the tourney, but the question is whether they will limp into March Madness. I’m willing to chalk up the MD game as a “flush it” loss against a tough team on the road. But I am worried that three of our last four second halves have been abysmal. The team seems to have misplaced their hard-nosed defensive identity, getting lit up by multiple opponents in the second frame. If you can stomach it, go look at the point totals allowed (especially after halftime) lately. Teams are adjusting & we aren’t responding.

Now: Penn state at home would seem to be exactly what the doctor ordered. A chance to get home, get right, and re-establish some confidence. It’ll be a packed purple sellout. But I’m nervous. PSU gives us problems in basketball and things look disjointed right now. Wednesday looms large, in my opinion, and I’m not overly confident about how that game will go. Both of our remaining games are winnable. Both are losable. This group is capable of special things, but so much of college hoops is about momentum and confidence. I believe this team has earned our confidence to go out and win *at least* one of the last two regular season games. But if they play like they have in the second halves of IU/UI/MD, they can absolutely drop both. I hope CC & co have a plan to address and overcome this adversity, because it has definitely arrived.

The guys played out of their minds during the epic winning streak, especially for that magical week of Pur/IU/Io_a. Then the wheels came off the cart in the second half at Illinois, blowing a big lead and losing (which they almost did against IU until Boo saved the day). Today at Maryland was just ugly. They hit everything, especially from 3 (64%!) and NU was out of sorts. The second half got really out of hand. Again.

It’s time for another gut check. The ‘Cats have earned themselves a spot in the tourney, but the question is whether they will limp into March Madness. I’m willing to chalk up the MD game as a “flush it” loss against a tough team on the road. But I am worried that three of our last four second halves have been abysmal. The team seems to have misplaced their hard-nosed defensive identity, getting lit up by multiple opponents in the second frame. If you can stomach it, go look at the point totals allowed (especially after halftime) lately. Teams are adjusting & we aren’t responding.

Now: Penn state at home would seem to be exactly what the doctor ordered. A chance to get home, get right, and re-establish some confidence. It’ll be a packed purple sellout. But I’m nervous. PSU gives us problems in basketball and things look disjointed right now. Wednesday looms large, in my opinion, and I’m not overly confident about how that game will go. Both of our remaining games are winnable. Both are losable. This group is capable of special things, but so much of college hoops is about momentum and confidence. I believe this team has earned our confidence to go out and win *at least* one of the last two regular season games. But if they play like they have in the second halves of IU/UI/MD, they can absolutely drop both. I hope CC & co have a plan to address and overcome this adversity, because it has definitely arrived.
MD has been unreal at MD this year so figured it was going to be tough to win. That a team that generally shoots at the bottom of the conference from three suddenly hits 14 sure does not help. Neither does some of the calls such as a guy going out of bounds and hitting a three that they count and plenty of others, That said, they sure did not help their case down the streatch

Reactions: drewjin
It is another hard matchup as they shoot and make so many threes and that is a weakness of our D
PSU has won three straight, including blowing out Illinois. They’ve won their last two on the road, returning home for Rutgers tonight. Nobody should be penciling in a win on Wednesday. They’re fighting for a .500 record in the league.

Reactions: Hungry Jack

Too dam hard to win 🥇 on the road in the BT! Split the next two games and call 📞 it a day! Great season already! We got royally screwed versus Illinois which has cost 💲 me thousands in anger management therapy bills!

It is depressing to think that our big losing streak may finally come at the end of the year. That said, even if we don't win again, this season has been waaaay more fun than I ever imagined.

PSU has won three straight, including blowing out Illinois. They’ve won their last two on the road, returning home for Rutgers tonight. Nobody should be penciling in a win on Wednesday. They’re fighting for a .500 record in the league.
Exactly. And As I said, not a great matchup for NU because they are so strong from 3. Not to often you see a team that has made about the same number of 3s as they have attempted FTs. (Attempted 304 FTs and have made 303 3s)

Reactions: NJcatsfan
Look at points SCORED after halftime today. Maryland was insanely lights out from downtown all day despite often being contested and they still only scored 34 in the second half. That’s not bad, considering. 20 second half points scored with a garbage time bucket is pathetic.

That’s why we are all Knights today but tht has not been going well today …. Omg Wisconsin

We should beat PSU. They don't score much inside. Just don't double the post (at all) and feed Nicholson in the paint on offense. PSU doesn't have anybody to guard him. I'm going to this game - I have two concerns. 1) Collins eliminates our advantage inside by playing Verhoeven too much 2) Pickett abuses Audige and Audige melts down. I expect us to win, but it is possible we'll fail.

Rutgers just doesn't have enough talent to beat us, with Mag out of the lineup. They have no bench. We win.

PSU plays Rutgers today and the loser is out of the NCAA picture.

We should beat PSU. They don't score much inside. Just don't double the post (at all) and feed Nicholson in the paint on offense. PSU doesn't have anybody to guard him. I'm going to this game - I have two concerns. 1) Collins eliminates our advantage inside by playing Verhoeven too much 2) Pickett abuses Audige and Audige melts down. I expect us to win, but it is possible we'll fail.

Rutgers just doesn't have enough talent to beat us, with Mag out of the lineup. They have no bench. We win.

PSU plays Rutgers today and the loser is out of the NCAA picture.
Nicholson has now made one move to the basket all season from the paint and we now need to feed it to him to win??

PSU is 8-9 and Rutgers is 9-8; if Rutgers loses, they are not out of the NCAA discussion.

I hope CC & co have a plan to address and overcome this adversity, because it has definitely arrived.

On a positive note, this may be the gut check needed to eventually being able to make a statement in the Big Ten Tournament. Overcoming adversity = added strength.

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
They need this win. Rutgers will be tough on the road, winning ANY games in BTT is hard, and they can't go into tourney with a 5 game losing streak

PSU is 8-9 and Rutgers is 9-8; if Rutgers loses, they are not out of the NCAA discussion.
If PSU wins tonight Rutgers is 9-9 with a loss upcoming to NU. So they end up 10-10 in the Big Ten, with losses to Temple and Seton Hall and a win over Wake Forest If that gets them into the NCAA, they might as well cancel the tournament.
Nicholson has now made one move to the basket all season from the paint and we now need to feed it to him to win??
Not quite. If we go inside (intentionally) to Nicholson from time to time, PSU won't be able to stop him. That will help us win more easily. Certainly we'd score more if Nicholson got more touches.

Reactions: drewjin
If PSU wins tonight Rutgers is 9-9 with a loss upcoming to NU. So they end up 10-10 in the Big Ten, with losses to Temple and Seton Hall and a win over Wake Forest If that gets them into the NCAA, they might as well cancel the tournament.
Rutgers was not even on the bubble. They beat Purdue at Purdue. And they just won, so your points are both wrong and moot.
Not quite. If we go inside (intentionally) to Nicholson from time to time, PSU won't be able to stop him. That will help us win more easily. Certainly we'd score more if Nicholson got more touches.
Matt had a nice game today, but he’s not going to carry us in scoring.

Rutgers was not even on the bubble. They beat Purdue at Purdue. And they just won, so your points are both wrong and moot.
Moot, yes.
My original statement was also correct.
"PSU plays Rutgers today and the loser is out of the NCAA picture."
Penn State lost.
They're out.
Good win for beleaguered Rutgers. Without Mawot Mag they're just not deep enough.

Moot, yes.
My original statement was also correct.
"PSU plays Rutgers today and the loser is out of the NCAA picture."
Penn State lost.
They're out.
Good win for beleaguered Rutgers. Without Mawot Mag they're just not deep enough.
Of course, you cannot say your original statement was correct. I guess you can, but you would be incorrect.

PSU just blew a 19-point lead at home. Let’s hope they’re demoralized coming into Evanston this week.
PSU is normally a good 3 point shooting team but shot 26% today against Rutgers. Maryland hasn't been as strong this season but shot 64% today against NU. Of course Penn State will find its shooting touch Wednesday in Evanston. 😵‍💫⛹️‍♂️

NU will not see anything close to another game like that this year.

Their 3-pt defense is nothing to write home about, but I'd be stunned if another team shoots 60+% from three again. If Maryland simply shoots a very nice 40%, it's a COMPLETELY different game. It's a 15-pt difference.

Also, they won't play in another atmosphere like that. Wow, that was brutal.

For the first 25 or maybe 30 minutes, their offense wasn't half bad.

Their some discussion points for the staff, but they can build off this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT