ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Remembering 9/11

docrugby1

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2010
22 years have passed since that tragic day. The outrage and solidarity that arose following that event have now faded but I still remember that day vividly. I had 4 total joints scheduled at Fairfax Hospital but after completing the first, I learned of the towers being hit, then the Pentagon was struck. All in house surgeons assembled in the ER and were separated into teams to deal with the expected victims from the Pentagon but only a few burn patients arrived and we were released in the evening.

For those who want to feel the outrage following the attacks, I would recommend visiting The George Bush Library at SMU in Dallas. A visit takes you back to that day and will rekindle the emotions you felt. It will also allow you to realize how easily the horrors of that day have been forgotten.

I recently spent 2 weeks in Wyoming and attended a rodeo on August 26, the 2 year anniversary of the Abbey Gate disaster. A rider entered the arena carrying the magnificent Wyoming State Flag. A young lady then rode in, at breakneck speed , circling the arena carrying the Flag of the United Staes with the thousands in attendance clapping and cheering, as Lee Greenwood's "Proud to be an American" played. The 2 riders than stopped in the center of the arena. 13 saddled but riderless horses were led into the arena. The names and hometowns of the 13 servicemen and women killed at the Abbey Gate in Afghanistan were read, followed by a minute of silence and a lone trumpeter playing "Taps". The crowd then sang "The National Anthem". I felt fortunate to be there, in my jeans, boots and cowboy hat.

Last edited:
I was a fellow at the time, in NY.
Came out of the OR and news of the first plane hitting the WTC was on TV in the recovery room. We stopped all cases and were asked to report to the ER for a mass causality event. Sadly, no one came to our hospital, because everyone in towers died. This day, 22 years ago, changed our nation and the lives of our citizens in a profound way that will take decades to understand. May G-d continue to bless America and her people.
‘And he shall judge between the nations and reprove many peoples, and they shall beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift the sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore.’

22 years have passed since that tragic day. The outrage and solidarity that arose following that event have now faded but I still remember that day vividly. I had 4 total joints scheduled at Fairfax Hospital but after completing the first, I learned of the towers being hit, then the Pentagon was struck. All in house surgeons assembled in the ER and were separated into teams to deal with the expected victims from the Pentagon but only a few burn patients arrived and we were released in the evening.

For those who want to feel the outrage following the attacks, I would recommend visiting The George Bush Library at SMU in Dallas. A visit takes you back to that day and will rekindle the emotions you felt. It will also allow you to realize how easily the horrors of that day have been forgotten.

I recently spent 2 weeks in Wyoming and attended a rodeo on August 26, the 2 year anniversary of the Abbey Gate disaster. A rider entered the arena carrying the magnificent Wyoming State Flag. A young lady then rode in, at breakneck speed , circling the arena carrying the Flag of the United Staes with the thousands in attendance clapping and cheering, as Lee Greenwood's "Proud to be an American" played. The 2 riders than stopped in the center of the arena. 13 saddled but riderless horses were led into the arena. The names and hometowns of the 13 servicemen and women killed at the Abbey Gate in Afghanistan were read, followed by a minute of silence and a lone trumpeter playing "Taps". The crowd then sang "The National Anthem". I felt fortunate to be there, in my jeans, boots and cowboy hat.

I have always thought that those servicemen and servicewomen in Afghanistan knew in the moment that they had been placed in an impossible position by their leaders and yet they made the decision to do their best even while realizing that they likely would be attacked. They were truly sacrificed by their leadership and yet no apologies have ever been offered. If I was a parent I would be inconsolable. It angered me then and now to no end.

I have always thought that those servicemen and servicewomen in Afghanistan knew in the moment that they had been placed in an impossible position by their leaders and yet they made the decision to do their best even while realizing that they likely would be attacked. They were truly sacrificed by their leadership and yet no apologies have ever been offered. If I was a parent I would be inconsolable. It angered me then and now to no end.
A couple of the Marines at Abbey Gate went "outside the wire" and rescued my son in law's translator. A few hours later, they were dead.

As I understood it at the time, the direct goal of the war in Afghanistan was to bring bin Laden to justice. Once that goal was achieved, it was not clear to me what we were trying to accomplish by remaining there for several more years.

I guess this is somewhat related. The President stopped here a few hours ago to offer remarks related to 9/11:

(The photos though are probably more relevant to President Bush having spent the hours after the attack aboard the pictured Air Force One than whatever remarks were actually said today. It started off quite political with completely unrelated to 9/11 remarks by an invited local activist which was all I could catch before having to return to work. Hopefully it became more relevant to 9/11 once the President took the podium.)

Pictured - Air Force One with the President aboard from this afternoon as he flew back to Washington D.C after stopping here to give a speech this 9-11 anniversary morning.
(If you look closely you can see him waving to me as I stand on my office balcony.
:)

IMG_9026.jpg

IMG_9029.jpg

IMG_9031_jtgah4YoJvCd5VVNUSnCUv.jpg

And here is the decoy Air Force One as it departed ten minutes later and circled from another direction before also heading east.
IMG_9049_6PFjau4aezGWfo4SLS8Gh8.jpg

IMG_9046.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of the Marines at Abbey Gate went "outside the wire" and rescued my son in law's translator. A few hours later, they were dead.
From my heart, thank you for this post. We should NEVER forget what is required of us to defend and protect this country.

Semper Fi from an "inactive" Marine. There are NO former Marines!

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I guess this is somewhat related. The President stopped here a few hours ago to offer remarks related to 9/11:

(The photos though are probably more relevant to President Bush having spent the hours after the attack aboard the pictured Air Force One than whatever remarks were actually said today. It started off quite political with completely unrelated to 9/11 remarks by an invited local activist which was all I could catch before having to return to work. Hopefully it became more relevant to 9/11 once the President took the podium.)

Pictured - Air Force One with the President aboard from this afternoon as he flew back to Washington D.C after stopping here to give a speech this 9-11 anniversary morning.
(If you look closely you can see him waving to me as I stand on my office balcony.
:)

IMG_9026.jpg

IMG_9029.jpg

IMG_9031_jtgah4YoJvCd5VVNUSnCUv.jpg

And here is the decoy Air Force One as it departed ten minutes later and circled from another direction before also heading east.
IMG_9049_6PFjau4aezGWfo4SLS8Gh8.jpg

IMG_9046.jpg
Even though I saw the President's plane in the sky first and thus assumed it took off first, upon closer viewing of the decoy plane I realized it had most likely departed first heading over the populated area to make it look like it was the plane with the President on board. If you look closely you will see the decoy plane has its landing gear down so after taking off first and then disappearing into the distance it must have been airborne for a period of time before sneaking back (likely over another body of water, Turnagain Arm) to land. Thereafter it would have taken off again and followed Air Force One heading back to Washington D.C.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT