ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Vandals Exiting in Memorable Style

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
The Idaho Vandals announced plans to exit the NCAA football bowl subdivision after next season and play as an FCS team in 2018. In what may be their last bowl appearance as an FBS program, they are unleashing an offensive juggernaut on Colorado St. 61-35 with about 5 minutes to go.

The Vandal program has a budget of about $14 million and plays in a stadium that seats 10,000.

Thanks for posting. That is great news up here in the Northland about the bowl game outcome given that one of the Vandals' starting linebackers hails from Alaska, and like our own Carr began as a walk-on for the Idaho team. Below reporting was from this morning's paper before the bowl game was played.

click to enlarge
IMG_2448_zpssqma0pss.jpg

Thanks for posting. That is great news up here in the Northland about the bowl game outcome given that one of the Vandals' starting linebackers hails from Alaska, and like our own Carr began as a walk-on for the Idaho team. Below reporting was from this morning's paper before the bowl game was played.

click to enlarge
IMG_2448_zpssqma0pss.jpg

And I thought you took this picture due to the Moose article!

Reactions: NUCat320
And welcome back to the Big Sky conference where you can renew the great rivalries with the University of Montana and Montana State. Also, I believe the Vandals' sojourn in the big ranks provides a good lesson for my Treasure State schools. Stay in the FCS ranks, draw sellout crowds of 20,000 (Montana State) and 28,000 or so (University of Montana), help the Big Sky stay in the top tier and get a realistic shot at a national championship. As a Northwestern alum (1974), I appreciate what the Cats have done and can still do in the BIG, but football down the road at the MSU stadium is a heckuva lot more affordable and fun most Saturday afternoons. (Plus, I get to see my son play trumpet for one helluva college band, The Spirit of the West crew.)

And welcome back to the Big Sky conference where you can renew the great rivalries with the University of Montana and Montana State. Also, I believe the Vandals' sojourn in the big ranks provides a good lesson for my Treasure State schools. Stay in the FCS ranks, draw sellout crowds of 20,000 (Montana State) and 28,000 or so (University of Montana), help the Big Sky stay in the top tier and get a realistic shot at a national championship. As a Northwestern alum (1974), I appreciate what the Cats have done and can still do in the BIG, but football down the road at the MSU stadium is a heckuva lot more affordable and fun most Saturday afternoons. (Plus, I get to see my son play trumpet for one helluva college band, The Spirit of the West crew.)

I spent part of the summer of '74 in Bozeman, where MSU is situated. A great and scenic college town where I got to witness the NCAA Finals of Rodeo. At that event, the PA announcer, unaware that his mike was still on, could be heard throughout the arena, saying, "LuEllen, you got somethin' going on with your scalp?"

Do some of you remember when Idaho was a member of the Pacific Coast Conference or what is known now as the PAC-12? Not sure what year they left it.

I spent part of the summer of '74 in Bozeman, where MSU is situated. A great and scenic college town where I got to witness the NCAA Finals of Rodeo. At that event, the PA announcer, unaware that his mike was still on, could be heard throughout the arena, saying, "LuEllen, you got somethin' going on with your scalp?"
That last line sounds like a country and western song title.

Responding to Ubercat ... Yes, you watched the College Finals Rodeo at what was then called the Montana State University Fieldhouse, now called the Brick Breeden Fieldhouse. A couple little stories.

When the fieldhouse opened in 1957, it was a marvel just for Montana but well beyond the borders. It was the largest domed structure in the Western Hemisphere without a center support. A marvel of architecture and engineering at the time. And it was purpose-built for rodeo. There was a dirt floor, and the basketball hardwood court would somehow be placed atop that for hoops. Which made for interesting scenarios. When I was in high school in Billings, that was still the setup. Lots of high school ball there as well as college. If you were on a team, you'd go up a slight runway from the dirt floor to the parquet surface. You stopped and wiped your sneakers off on mats at the corner of the court so as not to track dirt, which cause a slip and fall, on the surface.

An MSU basketball coach in the late '70s told me a funny story. Because the tail end of the college basketball season overlapped the start of the spring rodeo season, there were times when his team played right after a rodeo. He remembers custodians being periodically called to the court to sweep away flies. Those damned horses, steers and bulls ...

... That fieldhouse now holds about 7,300 spectators, after a 1980s facelift. Back in the day, though, for kids in Montana, it was like going to Madison Square Garden.

And it provided the dramatic setting for my first book, published last summer ("Win 'Em All - Little Laurel Wins Montana's Biggest Basketball Trophy") Montana had a setup when I was in high school that while not totally like the Hoosiers' scheme in Indiana, did provide an opportunity for smaller schools to upset their bigger brethren and claim the state championship. It was called the Big 32, an amalgamation of Montana's then 16 biggest schools (Class AA) and the 16 next-largest in terms of enrollment (Class A). This ran for six years, 1964-69, during which time three Class A schools won the championship and a fourth got second place. The administrators of the bigger schools, one of which I attended (Billings West), got mad about losing face and voted to pull the plug, with a little help from three Class A schools. The Montana High School Association vote was secret, but I'm pretty that's the way it came down.

Anyway, on March 15, 1969, the most dramatic moment of all occurred - and I was there as a high school senior and part-time sportswriter for the Billings Gazette, helping the sports editor cover the three-day tournament. The Laurel Locomotives, who had no one taller than 6-2, capped a 26-0 season by beating the Kalispell Braves, 57-54, in overtime. The Braves hailed from a school with at least four times as many students as the Locomotives. More importantly, the Braves had a 6-11 center (Brent Wilson) who did play a bit of Division 1 ball, first at Montana State and then at Colorado State, as well as 6-7 and 6-4 players on the front line.

I was part of an enormous throng on championship night, a turnaway crowd estimated at close to 11,000. The previous attendance record, back in the late 1950s, was about 10,300, when Elgin Baylor-led Seattle U. came to town and beat the Bobcats. The March 1969 crowd still stands as the largest crowd at any level - high school, college, "minor" league pro basketball or NBA exhibition - to watch a basketball game in Montana. They could crowd all those people in the arena, thanks to wooden bleachers that ringed the court. Also, there still is a catwalk overhead - reputable reports say that gate crashers got help in sneaking in from students in the game crew and they perched up high. And there were reports of about 500 people, turned away, who sat in their cars in the fieldhouse parking lot to listen to a statewide game broadcast.

And just for perspective, Montana's population then was something like 570,000-580,000, can't remember exactly. So those 11,000 people represented about 2 percent of all the men, women and children in the state being at the same place that night.

The record probably will never be broken. As mentioned, the fieldhouse, now equipped with comfy seats for all of us who are ... er, wider .. than we were then, is limited to more than 3,000 fewer spectators. The Metra in Billings has had some big crowds, slightly over 10,000 for a few high school games, but that's right at capacity. I don't have the exact capacity for the University of Montana's place in Missoula, but I doubt it's bigger than 8,000.

It was a magical night for all those who were there. And it's still magic going on 48 years later.

Last edited:
Reactions: beetlemania74
Do some of you remember when Idaho was a member of the Pacific Coast Conference or what is known now as the PAC-12? Not sure what year they left it.
Yes, Idaho was a member of the old PCC through the 1958-59 school year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT