ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Who has been posting on here the longest?

Kinda reminds me of the Inside NU guys in terms of his writing style

We don't agree about the Scout kid, but there is one thing I learned from that transition (for lack of a better term). I'm going to have a hard time investing mindshare (and money - how many of you were screwed by the Scout non-site over the last year) in a student-run site because eventually they evolve into the real world and better priorities. You can see it a mile away that's what's going to happen with these guys. It's a project - not something with legs.

T
Never knew about the NU List serve from back in 1995, but it is actually quite interesting how The Rose Bowl year proved to be the catalyst for an emerging Northwestern online community with a significant continuity to date....Like Gladeskat I had problems logging in as Alaskawildcat so also changed the c in cat to a k which left in limbo my initial join date (from the inception) and message numbers to that date.

All these posts bring back many memories. I remember the AOL board as the first place I found Cat fans online. Then Brad Kaiser...and Nolan's NU sports list (still get that). I also began with a different handle, but when I switched e-mail accounts, I became Terracat. Have been around a long time, just mostly to read and enjoy the conversations here. I have appreciated the fans who have passed on, and the fans who have remained.

I remember meeting a few posters back in the 90's at the Air Force Game we lost after Baz threw three interceptions. Also have met several in Kenosha over the years (including MidvaleDave and Lou). Have not made one of Florida Alum's parties yet, maybe this year in Tampa! But this community is a great place to interact with other Cat fans.

IMHO Lou has done a great job trying to balance the many priorities here, and upgrading the service. Thanks Lou! Go Cats! Beat the Illini!

TC

Thanks, Hawkcat. Yes, I do lurk occasionally. My mother's passing away a couple years ago changed me in some ways. I come back here to read and it's the same stuff, just with different words. It got old for me. And I spend way, way too much time on Facebook as myself having a grand time.
Midvale, you're missed here, especially during puff*ckers week. (No offense intended, Hawks fans. But I need a few pigf*cker jokes every year from the best.)

Stumbled across this post from way back, maybe there are some updates?

I started as PeoriaCat (I'm guessing) in 1995 on the old Chicago Trib Big 10 Forum and was a member of the list serve. Then eventually migrated here when Roy (I refuse to call a pee wee coach, "coach Roy") started a board after the Trib board went down. At some point, I was unable to sign-in, so I had to re-register and chose the handle of WaveJumper since it's an indication of what I do now in retirement. I am an IKO certified, level2 senior kiteboarding instructor. If you want to learn the sport, contact me wmjg8 at comcast.net.

Some of the older posters that post infrequently are MizzouCat (a good friend), Heet75 (played for NU and a friend), minncat, CatBird (my wife) and CatJaws (a great friend who I had the pleasure of playing ball with). Over the years, I've met many of you.

The old Trib board was a riot with ECat, Dr Doom, HamBadger, Snoopdog, BoyBlue, etc. This thread brings back some fun memories, and Brad Kaiser was ahead of the curve on recruiting info.

The best bowl game experience for me, was San Antonio, where I met many of the board members at that time. Unfortunately, we played a pissed off Nebraska team, but the venue was outstanding. We, and some of the parents (the Clark's) organized a party. I provided the music CD for that gathering. I remember Gary Danielson tried to crash that party - no pay, no go!

But, having been resuscitated, I'm going to say that I think PeoriaCat aka WaveJumper is the oldest. He was on the Boards when I joined (B1G forums and there was some other thing that was also here, I think with the Tribune or something).

I'd say BobbyD too but he's kind of dropped since.

FEW, Heet, MinnCat, Katatonic, Buffoonery (Schizo) and FloridaAlum as well. Gladeskat says he was from that era, but he didn't pop up until later - and he pretends that he "forgot" what old moniker he used.

Not many older than me, but these guys were the OGs when I was a BabyG. Respect to those who came before. I remember Shivas, but he came after me.

And I have to say, the best of times were during the B1G Forums. That's when it was the norm to drive by other forum boards and trash talk them. It was encouraged by the format of the B1G Forums. Half the discussion was by visiting rival fans. The most interesting personalities weren't even NU people, as Peoria pointed out. Folks like Dr. Doom and Hambadger and Madison are remembered to this day. And even enemies like ScriptOhio and GBMS were respected if hated. They knew how to piss on a message board all in good fun. Now, you have people getting all offended and huffy and it's all about talking how big their dicks are (an analogy). Maybe I'm older and wiser now, but a couple decades ago, I got such a kick out of going to the other boards and trash talking. I still do it from time to time for old times sake, but it just isn't the same anymore. Whereas it was the norm and even encouraged with solidarity, now, you have sanctimonious a-holes who see it as their duty to go to the opposing boards and berate you and apologize to other fan boards, even though they are the biggest dicks on the board. Just ain't the same anymore.

Then there was the carpetbagger. And then Emma - who Glades tried to run off like he ran off Roy and the Carpetbagger with the Gladesbomb(TM) but Emma was truly a great mod and had the best premium content on the boards ever.

ROTFLMAO! I never "ran off Roy" LOL! I Gladesbombed him lightly once and had a good laugh reading his bewilderment over it.

I definitely tried to run off the Carpetbagger, who was covering NU sports from China while he was teaching English there. He was a global Taliban sympathizer.

I was banned by the Carpetbagger long before Chris Emma took over Scout. Chris Emma liked my posts, wanted me (and others) to come back to Scout and passed that message on to me through Midvale. I still have nothing but positive things to say about Chris and the job he did with our boards.

FEW, Heet, MinnCat, Katatonic, Buffoonery (Schizo) and FloridaAlum as well. Gladeskat says he was from that era, but he didn't pop up until later - and he pretends that he "forgot" what old moniker he used.

I don't pretend. I rarely posted back then and don't remember any handles besides GarrettCat and MarylandCat, and there were other handles. SavageCat? I was living along a trib (Black Lick Run) near the Savage River back then. Dunno. Not BlackLickCat. Pittcat was already taken. Who cares?

I was gonna say, what a completely weird comment. Why would the oldest poster on the board be subject to an update? Newest, yes. Oldest?
The OP was "who has been posting the longest". what new info would there be unless there was some "new champion". Why resurrect the thread?

Shivas, StratCatDave and I all went to the same high school. Dave is in Calif. now, but still lurks around on the boards.

"But, having been resuscitated, I'm going to say that I think PeoriaCat aka WaveJumper is the oldest. He was on the Boards when I joined (B1G forums and there was some other thing that was also here, I think with the Tribune or something)."

Well, if I win some sort of a prize like a free drink from FloridAlum (which is nearly impossible to collect), I'll be 80 in October. I refuse to let it interfere with my mediocre athletic career.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

To clarify, that must have been the Katatonic that pre-dated me.

Didn't post (or even know about) on those other sites and started posting here after a year or so of lurking.

But damn, the time has flown by.

Not even close to the longest, but I’m 27 now. I’ve been posting (infrequently but always reading) here since the Jitim Young days when I was 11 or 12.
Pretty sure I had a username or two blocked for being excessively combative with Shivas when I was 14 or 15. (Etownorangeandblue sounds right. Most people thought I was an Illini troll but I was just a middle school kid posting with my high school’s colors) I’m sure the ban was justified.
I do remember my first post ever, which was that we needed to recruit more athletes. I’m pretty sure that used to be a “Fitz bought a home in Northfield” conversation that we actually no longer have.
I also vividly remember the excitement over Cj Bacher committing a week after I turned 13. The class of 07 had a kid from my high school so that’s when I became very in tune with recruiting. Seems like the commitments of Niko Mafuli and JackDiNardo were not so long ago.
Just kind of shocking to think I’ve spent more than half my life checking this website on an almost daily basis.
I remember always being impressed by Lou’s consistently clever headlines. Cheers to Lou for keeping this going for so long, and to the dozens of others who have remained throughout the years.

Not even close to the longest, but I’m 27 now. I’ve been posting (infrequently but always reading) here since the Jitim Young days when I was 11 or 12.
Pretty sure I had a username or two blocked for being excessively combative with Shivas when I was 14 or 15. (Etownorangeandblue sounds right. Most people thought I was an Illini troll but I was just a middle school kid posting with my high school’s colors) I’m sure the ban was justified.
I do remember my first post ever, which was that we needed to recruit more athletes. I’m pretty sure that used to be a “Fitz bought a home in Northfield” conversation that we actually no longer have.
I also vividly remember the excitement over Cj Bacher committing a week after I turned 13. The class of 07 had a kid from my high school so that’s when I became very in tune with recruiting. Seems like the commitments of Niko Mafuli and JackDiNardo were not so long ago.
Just kind of shocking to think I’ve spent more than half my life checking this website on an almost daily basis.
I remember always being impressed by Lou’s consistently clever headlines. Cheers to Lou for keeping this going for so long, and to the dozens of others who have remained throughout the years.

Great stuff. Cheers to you...need more local passionate fans such as yourself in order to get to the next level. Ryan Field packed with purple and an electric game day atmosphere are the next steps in the programs ascent. It's the one thing we as fans can help influence. I hope you and your buddies are regulars at Ryan Field this fall and for many more seasons to come.

ROTFLMAO! I never "ran off Roy" LOL! I Gladesbombed him lightly once and had a good laugh reading his bewilderment over it.

I definitely tried to run off the Carpetbagger, who was covering NU sports from China while he was teaching English there. He was a global Taliban sympathizer.

I was banned by the Carpetbagger long before Chris Emma took over Scout. Chris Emma liked my posts, wanted me (and others) to come back to Scout and passed that message on to me through Midvale. I still have nothing but positive things to say about Chris and the job he did with our boards.

I don't pretend. I rarely posted back then and don't remember any handles besides GarrettCat and MarylandCat, and there were other handles. SavageCat? I was living along a trib (Black Lick Run) near the Savage River back then. Dunno. Not BlackLickCat. Pittcat was already taken. Who cares?
When did you start advising posters to drink Drano?

I started reading the boards toward the end of the 1995 season, primarily to the NU List serve, Chicago Tribune boards / Big Ten boards. I started posting before or during the 1996 season and thereafter under a variety of handles. My favorite moment on NU message boards was causing BobbyD (a 'shatter-the-backboard' pompous asshole) to go totally ballistic after I asked about sniffing the towels Barnett used when he stayed at BobbyD's house while Barnett checked out the Texas job opening. His reaction was priceless and I was laughing for a week! Ecat, Stupor (as Shivas), Bratwurst, Schizo (as Buffoonery), WildBillCat, BobbyD (since quit the boards) and many others go back at least that far. My apologies to those here that were posting back in 1995-1998 that I forgot to mention here. AOL had a board that I never saw but was apparently quite active back in 1995. There were several boards after 1996: SportsOnly, FansOnly, Early Rivals (Coach Roy), Scout (Coach Roy after he defected to Scout to be with Chris Pool), and the FEW message boards. It settled down to Rivals and Scout around 2004.

I still am active (albeit not too active) on Mike Nolan's List serve, which I joined during the 1996 season. I remember Coach Roy's first board, and Coach is still active on Mike Nolan's List Serve. TBH I forget when I migrated to this board; I miss Midvale Dave and there are some "favorites" of mine, but if I don't like something someone said I simply keep moving. For the most part, our board is "mostly" respectful, and I depend on it not obly to check out viewpoints, but glean Cat information and yes, get a chuckle is still OK. Wrassler I love your man-crush on Ash; I'm not suree what you'll do when he graduates:)

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
When I first opened this thread this morning I failed to check the posting dates. Then I ran across my own post from three years ago. Sort of like watching TV reruns now - it does not matter whether I saw the show before or not - it is all new.

FWIW, scrolling thorough the posts I noticed FEW's number of posts to likes with something like a 44 to 35 ratio. That must be some type of record.!

As to those who post less one could paraphrase a once posted comment from Smithee, "Less is more." (Now if I could just remember what that comment was in response to at the time.)

Last edited:
Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
To clarify, that must have been the Katatonic that pre-dated me.

Didn't post (or even know about) on those other sites and started posting here after a year or so of lurking.

But damn, the time has flown by.

What? Are you not Brad Kaiser? The authority on NU recruiting before Chris Pool or Chris Emma and long before Lou was ever known?

I feel deceived.

When did you start advising posters to drink Drano?

Definitely before Hurricane Wilma. I recall suggesting to some troll poster to fix a Drano shake while I'm hunkered down during Hurricane Wilma with no power, flying shingles pelting my windows, and a few hours of battery life on my computer.

Last edited:
One of the first posts I had a response to so prior to June 2008. I didn't like it then, but I get it now.

It's intended to be such an outrageous, weird, over-the-top, out-of-the-blue condemnation that it's amusing. Comical bullying? It's not to be taken seriously, and I apologize if anyone was offended by it. I'd use it on Turk, Midvale, and other trolls a lot. It's schtick, like the 'pencil-necked, jock-haters' at WNUR back in 2007.

Great stuff. Cheers to you...need more local passionate fans such as yourself in order to get to the next level. Ryan Field packed with purple and an electric game day atmosphere are the next steps in the programs ascent. It's the one thing we as fans can help influence. I hope you and your buddies are regulars at Ryan Field this fall and for many more seasons to come.

We’re there frequently. We rush the field at every chance we get. (Twice since we graduated in 2014) We all went to Butler so Northwestern was never replaced as my team, and since we’re anti IU there, no one has much college football allegiance. Three of us grew up as Northwestern fans so we’re slowly getting the rest of the group on board too. The same things we like about Butler Basketball apply to Northwestern football so it’s not too hard of a sell.

I think there’s a solid chance I’ll do my MBA at Kellogg so I see no end in sight to returning to Evanston early on fall Saturdays.

I started posting here spring of 1998. There are a whole gang of people who have been here longer than I, some of them are not very active anymore . To name a few, ECat, Euro, GoUPurple, minncat, WaveJumper who was PeoriaCat, Schizo who was Buffoonery, Bratwurst, Smithee who was Terminal V Cat, maybe LACatFan, maybe Amcat, maybe mesacat, Alaska

Rivals was founded in 1998. I don't know how we all migrated from TOS but Rivals was just a better platform. I know I have been posting on Cat boards since '96 because I remember ranting on anyone who thought that Wake Forest was going to compete with NU in the opener - lesson learned all those years ago. Can't remember my first alias but I changed to Max_Power sometime after the airing of the Max_Power Simpson's episode in February 1999 and I think it was in response to the decline of the football team after Barnett and my urge to be totally positive going into the 2000 season.

I started reading the boards toward the end of the 1995 season, primarily to the NU List serve, Chicago Tribune boards / Big Ten boards. I started posting before or during the 1996 season and thereafter under a variety of handles. My favorite moment on NU message boards was causing BobbyD (a 'shatter-the-backboard' pompous asshole) to go totally ballistic after I asked about sniffing the towels Barnett used when he stayed at BobbyD's house while Barnett checked out the Texas job opening. His reaction was priceless and I was laughing for a week! Ecat, Stupor (as Shivas), Bratwurst, Schizo (as Buffoonery), WildBillCat, BobbyD (since quit the boards) and many others go back at least that far. My apologies to those here that were posting back in 1995-1998 that I forgot to mention here. AOL had a board that I never saw but was apparently quite active back in 1995. There were several boards after 1996: SportsOnly, FansOnly, Early Rivals (Coach Roy), Scout (Coach Roy after he defected to Scout to be with Chris Pool), and the FEW message boards. It settled down to Rivals and Scout around 2004.

Thanks for the call out, Glades. Who was that fellow who went to Princeton and but loved NU. He was around from the start. I also remember the old Big Ten boards with that Michigan guy whose name I can't recall but was funny. Magneto-something? Also GBMS, that student journalist from dOSU. Too bad they dumped the boards because of the self obsessive dimwit who was having difficulties with his genitalia or something. Weird,

Thanks for the call out, Glades. Who was that fellow who went to Princeton and but loved NU. He was around from the start. I also remember the old Big Ten boards with that Michigan guy whose name I can't recall but was funny. Magneto-something? Also GBMS, that student journalist from dOSU. Too bad they dumped the boards because of the self obsessive dimwit who was having difficulties with his genitalia or something. Weird,

The fellow who went to Princeton was the late Ishmael, may he rest in peace. His son was one of the student assistants During the Barnett era. I had the great pleasure of sitting with Ishmael and his son at the Alamo bowl the end of the 2000 season, and he passed away early in 2002.I know that Eurocat also met him. Euro came over to our seats and introduced himself to Ish.I wish that more people from the board had met Ishmael. He was nothing at all like his board identity. He was a very very nice man, very dapper, intelligent and well spoken, a real gentleman.After taking a hiatus from the board, his son attended my Purple Party after the bowl game in Tampa the end of 2009. He has attended at least a couple of parties since then and met a bunch of folks from the board.Whether he likes it or not, I still call him Son of Ishmael, his claim to fame.

Reactions: wildelk2
The fellow who went to Princeton was the late Ishmael, may he rest in peace. His son was one of the student assistants During the Barnett era. I had the great pleasure of sitting with Ishmael and his son at the Alamo bowl the end of the 2000 season, and he passed away early in 2002.I know that Eurocat also met him. Euro came over to our seats and introduced himself to Ish.I wish that more people from the board had met Ishmael. He was nothing at all like his board identity. He was a very very nice man, very dapper, intelligent and well spoken, a real gentleman.After taking a hiatus from the board, his son attended my Purple Party after the bowl game in Tampa the end of 2009. He has attended at least a couple of parties since then and met a bunch of folks from the board.Whether he likes it or not, I still call him Son of Ishmael, his claim to fame.

At halftime you or one of the other board members (FEW?) came over to where I was seated and brought me over to meet with Ishmael. He (Ishmael) commented to me about one of our starters playing injured (either the RB or QB) as an explanation for some of the difficulty we were having scoring at that point. Apparently this was not generally known and it was the first I had learned of it. BTW, thanks to you or whomever for allowing me the opportunity to meet with Ish.

Last edited:
At halftime you or one of the other board members (FEW?) came over to where I was seated and brought me over to meet with Ishmael. He commented to me about one of our starters playing injured (either the RB or QB) as an explanation for some of the difficulty we were having scoring at that point. Apparently this was not generally known and it was the first I had learned of it. BTW, thanks to you or whomever for allowing me the opportunity to meet with Ish.

It was not me. Euro had my seat number. At halftime he ran over, said hello to Ishmael, then the two of us walked a long distance to some outside smoking area, leaving Ish and son in our seats, so I do not know if anyone else came by to say hello during half time.

Thanks, FA. Yes, it was Ismael. A nice guy and a great NU fan. RIP.

T

All these posts bring back many memories. I remember the AOL board as the first place I found Cat fans online. Then Brad Kaiser...and Nolan's NU sports list (still get that). I also began with a different handle, but when I switched e-mail accounts, I became Terracat. Have been around a long time, just mostly to read and enjoy the conversations here. I have appreciated the fans who have passed on, and the fans who have remained.

I remember meeting a few posters back in the 90's at the Air Force Game we lost after Baz threw three interceptions. Also have met several in Kenosha over the years (including MidvaleDave and Lou). Have not made one of Florida Alum's parties yet, maybe this year in Tampa! But this community is a great place to interact with other Cat fans.

IMHO Lou has done a great job trying to balance the many priorities here, and upgrading the service. Thanks Lou! Go Cats! Beat the Illini!

TC
Except when he locked me down three times!

I remember a guy El Gato Montes, who was so obnoxious that elgatoloco had a tagline: "not affiliated with El Gato Montes"

Oh man, I forgot about that poster. Can't remember if he/she was here or not, but definitely recall posts on FEW's site.

Wasn't Gato Montes also the president of the "I-Formation society" or am I thinking of someone else?

It's too bad that you never care about attending any gathering and actually meeting people on the board.
Kaiser is kaTNap
TN as in Tennessee

Uh-oh. I've been smoked out. I was cataToNic or kataToNic or something like that on the Big Ten boards back in the day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT