ADVERTISEMENT

Other Games - Week 8

Is it not fitting that Illinois played in the longest game in FBS history?

Nine overtimes, and they won by scoring twenty total points.

Now that is a long game.

Reactions: rmndcat and DaCat
For those watching the Illinois game, what do you think of the new 2-point shootout?

It reminds me of how when man tries to interfere with nature and unanticipated consequences follow. (By way of example the importing of predatory animals to solve one problem with those animals then becoming the problem.)

In the case of the two-point conversions the rationale being heralded by the broadcasters was that it would avoid injuries by tired players. They stopped extolling that mantra however after the Illinois Quarterback walked off the field with an air cast after a multiple number of 2-point conversion overtimes.

The other takeaway for me was how the odds really are against a coach who elects to try for a two point conversion instead of just kicking the extra point.

For those watching the Illinois game, what do you think of the new 2-point shootout?
I didn't mind it. It was fun to watch. I appreciate the principle at work behind the idea.

I think a better compromise would be starting 3rd OT to go to 1st and goal from the 10. That should shorten it, while not making it depend on a coin flip of a single play - feels a bit more like "football" than the PSU IL thing which was basically a penalty kick shootout (with the added hilarity of them walking 100 yards from one end to the other every 3 mins after 2 plays). Or you could just call it a tie after 5 OT's maybe?

But I can understand why this version is preferable to the prior, which had the extreme case of that 7 or 8OT LSU aTm game where it went 5 hours and some players were passing out. Especially for a regular season game.

I’m in Fayetteville AR on a gravel biking trip. A good day biking beats a bad day in Ann Arbor.

I just got a 12 piece. I can bring you some next week. One cannot get Yeungling in Illinois.
Very kind of you to offer Hungry, and while I'd love to visit the uber tent, as I've done many times in the past, I'm afraid it's too long a haul for this old man in the West Lot.
The consolation is that my refrigerator at home in Western Pa. presently is filled with Yuengling, so I'll need to find something else to drink this Saturday. This is an unusual week because I'm flying rather than driving. My regards to everyone at the uber tent.

I didn't mind it. It was fun to watch. I appreciate the principle at work behind the idea.

I think a better compromise would be starting 3rd OT to go to 1st and goal from the 10. That should shorten it, while not making it depend on a coin flip of a single play - feels a bit more like "football" than the PSU IL thing which was basically a penalty kick shootout (with the added hilarity of them walking 100 yards from one end to the other every 3 mins after 2 plays). Or you could just call it a tie after 5 OT's maybe?

But I can understand why this version is preferable to the prior, which had the extreme case of that 7 or 8OT LSU aTm game where it went 5 hours and some players were passing out. Especially for a regular season game.
or they could, you know, end a game that no one deserved to win with what's known as a tie.

Very kind of you to offer Hungry, and while I'd love to visit the uber tent, as I've done many times in the past, I'm afraid it's too long a haul for this old man in the West Lot.
The consolation is that my refrigerator at home in Western Pa. presently is filled with Yuengling, so I'll need to find something else to drink this Saturday. This is an unusual week because I'm flying rather than driving. My regards to everyone at the uber tent.
I will try to stop by your location with a special delivery. Whose tailgate will you be attending?

Reactions: No Chores
I will try to stop by your location with a special delivery. Whose tailgate will you be attending?
It's almost exactly in uber's old location - just north of the families of players at the western edge of the west lot. I'll be there between 2 and 3 hours before kickoff. Large tailgate with a couple of white tents. uber, Alan Smithee, docrugby, Gladescat and the Waterboy are all very familiar with the location. When you get there, just ask for No Chores in the very likely event that I'm not paying attention. Hope to see you - I've always enjoyed your posts.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Not going to lie. I got lost for a while looking for the uber tent against MSU as there are several golf lots. Kept wandering into crowds of unruly young Spartans around Central but finally found the crew.

The company made it worth it. Also I’ll always prefer tailgating on soft grass rather than pot holes.

If you give NC Yuengling I’ll be very disappointed in you Hungry. It’s a nice lager but there are so many better options.

Cincy held on for a win but they might as well have lost. That game will knock them out of contention.
Cincy and Georgia are the 2 most likely top 4 teams to be in this year’s CFP. Keep winning and they are likely in. String some more blow outs together and they’re a lock.

More broadly, it looks to me like it will be:

1.Georgia(even with 1 loss)
2.Ohio St.(they are on a roll)
3.TBA(insert a 1 loss Bama here)
4.Cincy

I don’t see an obvious 4th right now if Bama loses to Ga. PAC 12 has already played themselves out. Big 12 has Oklahoma waiting to stumble. The ACC totally sucks. ND has no shine to it.? Could it be a 2 loss Bama? Maybe a 1 loss MSU if they beat UM and show well vs OSU?

GOUNUII

Cincy and Georgia are the 2 most likely top 4 teams to be in this year’s CFP. Keep winning and they are likely in. String some more blow outs together and they’re a lock.

More broadly, it looks to me like it will be:

1.Georgia(even with 1 loss)
2.Ohio St.(they are on a roll)
3.TBA(insert a 1 loss Bama here)
4.Cincy

I don’t see an obvious 4th right now if Bama loses to Ga. PAC 12 has already played themselves out. Big 12 has Oklahoma waiting to stumble. The ACC totally sucks. ND has no shine to it.? Could it be a 2 loss Bama? Maybe a 1 loss MSU if they beat UM and show well vs OSU?

GOUNUII
UGA really look like the best team, their defense is unreal. The only question mark is QB.....Stetson Bennett doesn't scream National Title.

If you give NC Yuengling I’ll be very disappointed in you Hungry. It’s a nice lager but there are so many better options.
Not in lagers with a 4.7 alcohol content. But, there are beer idiots all over the world just like you. Anyway. if you do happen to come to the game, please accompany Hungry to our tailgate where you can learn something about beer. Just don't touch the Yuengling!

• Haha
It is hard to make a good lager (one of my favorite styles). Many have tried. Most have failed. Ales generally are much easier.

Great Lakes Brewing Dortmunder Gold is an outstanding lager, IMO (all Great Lakes beers are outstanding. Not sexy, just really well crafted). But it runs 5.8% ABV. For old farts like me, that's a higher alcohol content than I typically prefer (though certainly worth it).

I once was a big fan of Fat Tire amber ale. Now it tastes like water, even at 5.2% ABV.

So Yuengling's amber lager at 4.7% is an admirable effort. I have only had a few in my entire life, but I have always found it to be a tasty malt. I look forward to sharing one with No Chores in the west lot.

Last edited:
Not in lagers with a 4.7 alcohol content. But, there are beer idiots all over the world just like you. Anyway. if you do happen to come to the game, please accompany Hungry to our tailgate where you can learn something about beer. Just don't touch the Yuengling!
“Beer idiot”? Must every one resort to insults on the boards these days? It’s never to late to try something new.

@Hungry Jack is a gentleman of refined tastes, as you can tell by his handle. Dortmunder Gold is a superior beer to Yuengling, as well as Fat Tire in my estimation.

To me, the only idiocy with beers is the “lights”. I’d rather drink water than Bud Light or Miller Lite. What’s the point of those? Fans wanna know.

It is hard to make a good lager (one of my favorite styles). Many have tried. Most have failed. Ales generally are much easier.

Great Lakes Brewing Dortmunder Gold is an outstanding lager, IMO (all Great Lakes beers are outstanding. Not sexy, just really well crafted). But it runs 5.8% ABV. For old farts like me, that's a higher alcohol content than I typically prefer (though certainly worth it).

I once was a big fan of Fat Tire amber ale. Now it tastes like water, even at 5.2% ABV.

So Yuengling's amber lager at 4.7% is an admirable effort. I have only had a few in my entire life, but I have always found it to be a tasty malt. I look forward to sharing one with No Chores in the west lot.
Generally I bring 6 Dortmunder Golds to our tailgate captain. I like it as well, but the ABV is too high for a football game. Looking forward to seeing you Saturday, so we can discuss my numerous trips to the Great Lakes location in Cleveland. Great Lakes Commodore Perry, which is also excellent, is named for Oliver Hazzard Perry, who wintered his fleet in the Erie Pa. Harbor during the war of 1812. I'm looking out of my office window at that location as I type this.

Generally I bring 6 Dortmunder Golds to our tailgate captain. I like it as well, but the ABV is too high for a football game. Looking forward to seeing you Saturday, so we can discuss my numerous trips to the Great Lakes location in Cleveland. Great Lakes Commodore Perry, which is also excellent, is named for Oliver Hazzard Perry, who wintered his fleet in the Erie Pa. Harbor during the war of 1812. I'm looking out of my office window at that location as I type this.
That's awesome. Great little fact.

GLB's Elliot Ness amber lager is another fine lager. Runs 6.1% ABV, but worth the price of admission. I do like amber lagers.

I am guessing you are also a fan of Belgian whites?

That's awesome. Great little fact.

GLB's Elliot Ness amber lager is another fine lager. Runs 6.1% ABV, but worth the price of admission. I do like amber lagers.

I am guessing you are also a fan of Belgian whites?
Have had many Elliot Ness, and generally enjoy all beer. I would generally describe myself, though, as an IPA and Pale Ale Guy. It would take me a while to list all my favorites, most of which wouldn't be good tailgate beers. When I see you Saturday I'll tell you about fishing trips to the great white north in Canada, about 800 miles north of Winnipeg Manitoba, where I drink almost nothing but Molson Canadian. The owner of one of the camps has 2 craft Breweries in British Columbia.

I’m in Fayetteville AR on a gravel biking trip. A good day biking beats a bad day in Ann Arbor.

I just got a 12 piece. I can bring you some next week. One cannot get Yeungling in Illinois.
Where are you guys tailgating?

Hungry will have to give you his location because I've never been to uber's tailgate. I'm in the West lot as indicated above. If you decide to stop by, please bring a little beer, because it's not my tailgate and I'm a guest. Our tailgate captain is taking the year off.
Would enjoy meeting you.

Ubers tailgate is on the golf course hole just north of central. He usually camps right in front of the green that butts up against Central Ave, on the east (river) side.

Look for his “Uber Eats” flag (courtesy of yours truly).

I plan to bring brisket chili and gumbo from Smoque. It’s really good. I will have several bottles of Yeungling to share too.

Ubers tailgate is on the golf course hole just north of central. He usually camps right in front of the green that butts up against Central Ave, on the east (river) side.e
Look for his “Uber Eats” flag (courtesy of yours truly).

I plan to bring brisket chili and gumbo from Smoque. It’s really good. I will have several bottles of Yeungling to share too.
Now we also need brisket and gumbo threads or can we just stop at Smoque, what or where ever that is?

FWIW the best Bar-B-Q brisket I ever had was at the Northwestern Alumni Tailgate at the Holiday Bowl in San Diego of all places.

..... Great Lakes Commodore Perry, which is also excellent, is named for Oliver Hazzard Perry, who wintered his fleet in the Erie Pa. Harbor during the war of 1812. I'm looking out of my office window at that location as I type this.

Love it when a piece of nautical history gets inserted into this board. Given that we will be encountering Captain Fleck and his merry rowboat crew this weekend seems especially timely.

May I add, here is a view of The Cook Inlet Harbor which I get to see looking out my office window. Although it predated Perry's sailings by several decades, it was here that Captain Cook moored his ships in 1778 when in search of the elusive Northwest Passage. After departing Alaska he headed back to Hawaii where he met his demise.

Pictured from last week is the 9th Army "Arctic Warrior Band" as they played and were being filmed for a Veteran's Day tribute that will be aired on their facebook page. To hear the band check back on November 11th on facebook under "9th Army Band." (My office is in the maroon stepped building on the right.)

(OK, now to stay on topic with this thread, I just found the little known historical fact that 5 years before his final Alaska voyage, Captain Cook concocted the first beer in New Zealand. He brewed it to help protect his men against scurvy. The ingredients included rimu branches and leaves from a tree akin to the American Black-Spruce.

In 2020 the New Zealand brewery of Wigram Brewing produced a spruce beer flavored with rimu and Manuka that is named, "Spruce Beer" and pays homage to Captain Cook with his Caricature on the label. It is described as "a nice malty drop with a slightly smoky character.")

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

Reactions: BigCatCT
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT