ADVERTISEMENT

Our experience in Iowa City

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
I took my son to Kinnick for the first time yesterday, so I was in the bone-chilling cold in in the stands rather than in the warm and toasty press box.

This is what the two of us experienced in Hawkeyeland. You know what happened on the field, but this is what went on off of it.

First of all, I would say that, outside of Nebraska, Iowa has the nicest fan base in the Big Ten. That may be surprising based on their presence on the Football Board over the years and the stories we've heard from former NU players. But they were friendly and very gracious to us. We got several "welcome to Iowa City" greetings and high-fives before the game, and we got a lot of congratulations after it. Every time we went to take a selfie, people came up and offered to take the picture for us. Even eating in downtown Iowa City after the game, we got "congratulations" and "nice games" from drunk students.

Iowa City is a great college town. The tailgating scene is spread out in parking lots all over the place. We were lucky enough to get invited to PURPLECAT88's pre-game "garagegate." He and his family (one daughter went to NU, one is at Iowa) rented out a garage of a house a few blocks from Kinnick. There were, I believe, three tailgates renting space there. I know it sounds odd, but it was great. Each tailgate got a table for food and drinks in the garage, and they had access to a restroom in the house (in sort of a mud room). Most importantly, they had one of those outdoor gas heaters and a big-screen TV in the garage, so we just watched Ohio State and Michigan State in relative warmth.

What makes Kinnick special is that the stands are about five yards from the sidelines, so fans are right on top of the field. We were 77 rows up in the NU section, at about the 10-yard line, and the sightlines were great. I was in the stadium once before, in the '90s. They now have a much nicer scoreboard (of course), they built up the press box and luxury boxes (of course), and they redid seating in one end zone. It's not quite done, so the giant video board on that end was not operational and I was told there are porta-potties there because the bathrooms aren't completed.

Temps were in the 20s and it was pretty frigid, but at least there wasn't much of wind. We were dressed warmly enough. One big negative was that there was ice on the metal bleachers. Luckily, we had an outdoor blanket that we could lay down on it. If not, your ass would melt the ice, and then, as the temperature dropped, your wet ass was in big trouble. We saw people after the game who had to peel their blankets off the benches, too -- the ice had melted and refrozen and stuck to the blankets. Lots of blankets were ripped to shreds.

One of the highlights during the game was when they honored a local veteran during one of the many timeouts. He was a big, burly dude with a white, Duck Dynasty kind of beard. They were detailing his service over the PA and he kept jabbing his finger very hard into his chest, over and over, with this maniacal look on his face. Eventually, the crowd caught on: He was pointing to the I-O-W-A letters on his sweatshirt. So they started shouting "I! O! W! A!", the cheer they do in each corner of the field during the game. It was pretty cool.

There were a lot of NU fans there, and we got pretty loud when warranted during the game. It was great to see the team come over to our corner and sing the fight song after the game, a capella, without music accompaniment. Players then ran all over the field like little kids. Jordan Thompson ran out to midfield and just laid out on his back and wriggled around on the Hawkeye logo.

As we were leaving, our big throng of NU fans started a "Go U! NU!" cheer, and it echoed through the tunnels of Kinnick.

All in all, it was a hell of a day. We arrived hoping to see a W. We left having watched the Cats win the Big Ten West.

Did you wave to the children’s hospital ?

Doh! Forgot to mention that. We certainly did. The hospital was behind us, so we turned and waved.

It’s a tremendous tradition. They announce it and play a song at the end of the first quarter, but fans are ready and start before its even announced. It’s like the seventh-inning stretch. Everyone — and I mean everyone — faces the hospital and waves to the kids in the windows. Phenomenal moment.

I took my son to Kinnick for the first time yesterday, so I was in the bone-chilling cold in in the stands rather than in the warm and toasty press box.

This is what the two of us experienced in Hawkeyeland. You know what happened on the field, but this is what went on off of it.

First of all, I would say that, outside of Nebraska, Iowa has the nicest fan base in the Big Ten. That may be surprising based on their presence on the Football Board over the years and the stories we've heard from former NU players. But they were friendly and very gracious to us. We got several "welcome to Iowa City" greetings and high-fives before the game, and we got a lot of congratulations after it. Every time we went to take a selfie, people came up and offered to take the picture for us. Even eating in downtown Iowa City after the game, we got "congratulations" and "nice games" from drunk students.

Iowa City is a great college town. The tailgating scene is spread out in parking lots all over the place. We were lucky enough to get invited to PURPLECAT88's pre-game "garagegate." He and his family (one daughter went to NU, one is at Iowa) rented out a garage of a house a few blocks from Kinnick. There were, I believe, three tailgates renting space there. I know it sounds odd, but it was great. Each tailgate got a table for food and drinks in the garage, and they had access to a restroom in the house (in sort of a mud room). Most importantly, they had one of those outdoor gas heaters and a big-screen TV in the garage, so we just watched Ohio State and Michigan State in relative warmth.

What makes Kinnick special is that the stands are about five yards from the sidelines, so fans are right on top of the field. We were 77 rows up in the NU section, at about the 10-yard line, and the sightlines were great. I was in the stadium once before, in the '90s. They now have a much nicer scoreboard (of course), they built up the press box and luxury boxes (of course), and they redid seating in one end zone. It's not quite done, so the giant video board on that end was not operational and I was told there are porta-potties there because the bathrooms aren't completed.

Temps were in the 20s and it was pretty frigid, but at least there wasn't much of wind. We were dressed warmly enough. One big negative was that there was ice on the metal bleachers. Luckily, we had an outdoor blanket that we could lay down on it. If not, your ass would melt the ice, and then, as the temperature dropped, your wet ass was in big trouble. We saw people after the game who had to peel their blankets off the benches, too -- the ice had melted and refrozen and stuck to the blankets. Lots of blankets were ripped to shreds.

One of the highlights during the game was when they honored a local veteran during one of the many timeouts. He was a big, burly dude with a white, Duck Dynasty kind of beard. They were detailing his service over the PA and he kept jabbing his finger very hard into his chest, over and over, with this maniacal look on his face. Eventually, the crowd caught on: He was pointing to the I-O-W-A letters on his sweatshirt. So they started shouting "I! O! W! A!", the cheer they do in each corner of the field during the game. It was pretty cool.

There were a lot of NU fans there, and we got pretty loud when warranted during the game. It was great to see the team come over to our corner and sing the fight song after the game, a capella, without music accompaniment. Players then ran all over the field like little kids. Jordan Thompson ran out to midfield and just laid out on his back and wriggled around on the Hawkeye logo.

As we were leaving, our big throng of NU fans started a "Go U! NU!" cheer, and it echoed through the tunnels of Kinnick.

All in all, it was a hell of a day. We arrived hoping to see a W. We left having watched the Cats win the Big Ten West.

Great story Lou. Thanks for sharing. Brought back very special memories of taking my boys to the Big House for the 1995 win over Michigan. Not as cold, but every bit as special.

GOUNUII

Thanks for a great recap of your experience and your survival in frigid Kinnick. Yes, the ice on the bleachers were surreal! Reminded me of the old black and blue division games of the early '70's! 'Cats certainly were the better team not only on the scoreboard, but in coaching, prep, adjustments, etc. I felt Iowa lost the game in the first half when having something like a 172-84 yardage advantage and only leading 3-0. I'll certainly be cheering for a big win for you guys over the East and a trip to Pasadena. I did go to Pasadena in 1996 for that pilgrimage.

Lastly, thanks for sharing your positive interactions with the Iowa crowd. When reading this board, you would get the impression from many who post, that Iowa and it's fans are the scourge of the earth! Iowa fans are just passionate, want to win and feel that the program is at a crossroads right now. I have the upmost respect for Northwestern as an institution and a football program and feel you may be entering a window of great success with your new facilities, a great AD and tremendous coach.

Go NU!

Having been to all Big Ten stadiums, except Rutgers and Maryland, I can say that the Iowa game experience is the best in the big ten. The new stadium additions have turned Kinnick into an amazingly intimate 70000 seat bowl.
For those of you who haven’t been to Iowa City, the experience is an awesome one. We, as Cats fans, have the extra bonus that it seems we win much more often than not, and it’s always great wandering around an opponent’s stadium after beating them. Especially three years in a row.
Go Cats!

Great atmosphere

I've been to eight games at Kinnick, and have never had even a hint of a negative experience, either there or in downtown IC. I know there are those among us who've had unpleasant experiences there, but I can't say the same.

I rode on two RAGBRAI's. I have to say the people of Ioa are great. The food is fantastic (love me the pork sandwiches and roasted corn), the land is beautiful, and the farm girls are very friendly. It's the football program I hate - blame Hayden Fry.

But, overall, the people are far better than those from Wisconsin or Ohio State. I'd say Nebraska comes close, but I'll give it to the Iowans, because of RAGBRAI.

Great recap Lou. Those metal benches bring back some unpleasant memories. The coldest I’ve been in my life was in Kinnick. It’s always feels much warmer after a victory.

Great experiences at Kinnick some highlites 1. 96 sitting in the endzone seats where the NU fans were....so incredibly close to the goal line and Darnell Autry busted a pitch down the side line and just buried the safety and ran right over him...big win 2. Watching all the pickup trucks entering on to i-80 at every entrance.
3. Partying night before on the plaza and having the Iowa band come into the bar 4. Sitting in the student section and getting pelted by beer bottle caps every time NU scored.5. The Cory Wooten sack of Stanzi.6. The look on my Iowa son-in-laws face after we won in 2009,,......KInd of said.."why didnt I marry an Iowa girl....now they both live and teach in Evanston... But never a bad word and very good people.

Reactions: BigCatCT

Lou great to see this. I have had similar very pleasant experiences in Kinnick Stadium. It makes me feel good to know that I am not some kind of outlier and that a healthy appreciation for the Hawkeye Nation, as evidenced by the stadium crowd, as opposed to internet trolls, is being put forth by someone with your influence.

Bravo!

I rode on two RAGBRAI's. I have to say the people of Ioa are great. The food is fantastic (love me the pork sandwiches and roasted corn), the land is beautiful, and the farm girls are very friendly. It's the football program I hate - blame Hayden Fry.

But, overall, the people are far better than those from Wisconsin or Ohio State. I'd say Nebraska comes close, but I'll give it to the Iowans, because of RAGBRAI.
Glad everyone had a good time at the game. Yes, it was a cold one. Took my daughter to it, she always enjoys Kinnick. Now, if some of u would just spell Iowa correctly (with the “w” u wouldn’t be so annoying). Also, while at the game, what really surprised me was how often your coach Fitz was out on the field hollering at the refs, and no sideline warning. Does he always get away with that?

Also, while at the game, what really surprised me was how often your coach Fitz was out on the field hollering at the refs, and no sideline warning. Does he always get away with that?

The 'contract' is only for B1G games. ;)

How do you think NU became the runaway 'least penalized team' in FBS this year?:eek:

Glad everyone had a good time at the game. Yes, it was a cold one. Took my daughter to it, she always enjoys Kinnick. Now, if some of u would just spell Iowa correctly (with the “w” u wouldn’t be so annoying). Also, while at the game, what really surprised me was how often your coach Fitz was out on the field hollering at the refs, and no sideline warning. Does he always get away with that?
No, just at Ioa. Y'all are so nice to let him do that. We really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaCat

But it’s so much more fun to annoy you guys at Io_a. After all, we may be Just Northwestern, but we still own your W for yet another year. :D

Reactions: Fitz51
Nice story, Lou!

Maybe the people of eastern and central Ioa, but not those of Western Ioa who keep voting in that racist a-hole.

For me, still carry grudges against Ioa and PU as those were the 2 programs who disrespected the 'Cats the most when had friends on the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT