ADVERTISEMENT

Paddy Fisher UDFA

I'm amazed at how far Paddy's draft stock fell. Wasn't he projected as a pretty high pick a year ago? I will be rooting for the guy to stick with Carolina. He had a terrific NU career and his staying on this past year was a big part of our rebound season.

Reactions: drewjin and DaCat
His draft stock was likely never that high to begin with. He isn't what NFL look for in terms of freak athleticism. But if you asked about players in the 2021 draft in 2018 you would only find a few with much production. So at that point Fisher was set apart, by the end of 2020 there were many more who had proved themselves.

I'm amazed at how far Paddy's draft stock fell. Wasn't he projected as a pretty high pick a year ago? I will be rooting for the guy to stick with Carolina. He had a terrific NU career and his staying on this past year was a big part of our rebound season.
Fisher is similar to the case of Fitz. Great college linebackers whose skill set doesn't translate to the pro game. A 4.91 40y time doesn't help.

His draft stock was likely never that high to begin with. He isn't what NFL look for in terms of freak athleticism. But if you asked about players in the 2021 draft in 2018 you would only find a few with much production. So at that point Fisher was set apart, by the end of 2020 there were many more who had proved themselves.
Maybe I’m biased but he seemed faster his first two years as a starter. He flew around the field in Nashville until he was unjustly ejected. Injuries and additional weight may have slowed him down the past two seasons, but it didn’t stop him from being the B1G Linebacker of the Year.

I like his chances to stick in the league more than any of our other UDFAs, except for maybe Pace (another pure playmaker who was injured at our pro day). It will be fun to track all seven of them along with our three draft picks.

How much weight did Paddy gain over his career ? He appeared slimmer and quicker his first 2 years

How much weight did Paddy gain over his career ? He appeared slimmer and quicker his first 2 years

To the extent you believe listed weights on the official roster (and NU's is actually a bit more truthful/accurate than most):

2016: 235
2017: 245
2018: 241
2019: 246
2020: 240

Exactly this. He was projected high by this board and perhaps some websites that were bandwagoning a bit but not doing real in-depth scouting. Paddy was certainly a phenom as a frosh but did not seem to get much better, which was still very good. But he does not have the quickness you see in the NFL. Barry Gardner might be the best LB I've ever seen at NU (which says a lot), was drafted in the 2nd round 20 years ago, but struggled to stay relevant in NFL due to limited speed and quickness.

Exactly this. He was projected high by this board and perhaps some websites that were bandwagoning a bit but not doing real in-depth scouting. Paddy was certainly a phenom as a frosh but did not seem to get much better, which was still very good. But he does not have the quickness you see in the NFL. Barry Gardner might be the best LB I've ever seen at NU (which says a lot), was drafted in the 2nd round 20 years ago, but struggled to stay relevant in NFL due to limited speed and quickness.
Nick Roach had a nice long career and nobody really ever talked about his NFL potential. Hopefully Paddy can replicate.

Do we have any LBs on the current roster with NFL desired levels of athleticism? I hope so and the next generation of NU LBs takes things to yet another level beyond what was the best LB corps in NU history.

Think Paddy is capable of taking a tick or 2 off his 40 time, but he's the type of backer who relies on being at the right position at the right time (to make up for his lack of speed).

PSU's Posluszny managed to have an 11 yr pro career despite running a pedestrian 4.71s at the combine, but at the same time, the game has changed since Poz's playing days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT