ADVERTISEMENT

Parking-Unintended Consequences....

charcat

Apr 11, 2006
This seems to be the first year the new parking system is really impacting many long time donors and season ticket holders with lots of points. t I don't think the NU Development people have considered with their new structure fully.

Larger donors, giving $5,000 $10,000 or $25,000 two years ago and nothing this year, get bounced. Larger donors now have the opposite incentive to hold back on larger donations and trickle it out, to maintain benefits. As Larger one time donations don't really matter any more.

Is this really a well considered program? They think they have a 100 new 600 donors raising $60,000 annually, but how much have you lost in larger donations or just getting larger donations deferred over time.... the opposite of what a development office wants.

This seems to be the first year the new parking system is really impacting many long time donors and season ticket holders with lots of points. t I don't think the NU Development people have considered with their new structure fully.

Larger donors, giving $5,000 $10,000 or $25,000 two years ago and nothing this year, get bounced. Larger donors now have the opposite incentive to hold back on larger donations and trickle it out, to maintain benefits. As Larger one time donations don't really matter any more.

Is this really a well considered program? They think they have a 100 new 600 donors raising $60,000 annually, but how much have you lost in larger donations or just getting larger donations deferred over time.... the opposite of what a development office wants.

How many people do you think are in the group that:

A. Gave previous donations of $5,000 or more in the past 2 years, and
B. Were unwilling to give $600 this year despite the Athletic department saying they would need to do so if they wanted parking, and
C. Care about parking

B. Were unwilling to give $600 this year despite the Athletic department saying they would need to do so if they wanted parking, and
C. Care about parking
Does it matter what the specific number is? The issue is that they did if they got 100 new donors the actual extra raised is far less than they think and in the mean time, there are a number of pissed off long term ST holders that had earned the privilege through years of ticket purchases and donations. To them it seems like extortion. You saw the case of someone who had almost 1300 purple points displace by a single donation. That shouldn't be able to happen

Maybe these guys just aren't as smart as they think they are.

Does it matter what the specific number is? The issue is that they did if they got 100 new donors the actual extra raised is far less than they think and in the mean time, there are a number of pissed off long term ST holders that had earned the privilege through years of ticket purchases and donations. To them it seems like extortion. You saw the case of someone who had almost 1300 purple points displace by a single donation. That shouldn't be able to happen

I am not buying this we have to start acting like these historically strong programs in the B1G to be considered big time. Poppy cock. Long term ST status and/or lifetime donations should be heavily factored into the formula. How much money do we get in TV Revenue? Way more than the revenue we generate from this ridiculous process. You are spot on Head.

I am in the South lot, that is where I belong based on my status. However, the treatment of people that claim to have donated thousands of dollars over their lifetime and held ST's for 25+ just isn't right. Surely, the smart alum at NU can come up with a system that respects these folks lifetime commitment to the program. Communicating the process in an email sure don't make it right!

I am not buying this we have to start acting like these historically strong programs in the B1G to be considered big time. Poppy cock. Long term ST status and/or lifetime donations should be heavily factored into the formula. How much money do we get in TV Revenue? Way more than the revenue we generate from this ridiculous process. You are spot on Head.

I am in the South lot, that is where I belong based on my status. However, the treatment of people that claim to have donated thousands of dollars over their lifetime and held ST's for 25+ just isn't right. Surely, the smart alum at NU can come up with a system that respects these folks lifetime commitment to the program. Communicating the process in an email sure don't make it right!

Amen. This is chump change to the athletic department. They need to repsect long time season ticket holders.

There are competing incentives for the Athletic department:
A. Honor longtime contributors, or
B. Invest in newer, younger ones

If young alumni learn that $600 is the cover charge for access, the department is potentially locking in 20/30/40+ years on minimum donations from these people, who will never blink - even if the number goes up - because that's 'how it's always been.'

Of course, this assumes program strength and stability. If the program falters, you've lost the loyalists and you've lost those that hit $600 only on the heels of a 10-win season.

There are competing incentives for the Athletic department:
A. Honor longtime contributors, or
B. Invest in newer, younger ones

If young alumni learn that $600 is the cover charge for access, the department is potentially locking in 20/30/40+ years on minimum donations from these people, who will never blink - even if the number goes up - because that's 'how it's always been.'

Of course, this assumes program strength and stability. If the program falters, you've lost the loyalists and you've lost those that hit $600 only on the heels of a 10-win season.
But the younger ones should not be able to jump long time people with a single donation of this type. You know what a person has to do to amass 1300 points? figuring 100 points cor ST (way to low) and even 40 for being a letter winner etc still has to have given at least $15-20k over the years. And who knows And a single one time donation and a total of 60 points or so could jump ahead? Just wrong Besides, if they are that young, they can walk the extra distance a lot easier than people in their 60s or later that they displaced. They must be so proud.

The AD at Michigan did similar things and it raised quite an uproar.

Last edited:
But the younger ones should not be able to jump long time people with a single donation of this type. You know what a person has to do to amass 1300 points? figuring 100 points cor ST (way to low) and even 40 for being a letter winner etc still has to have given at least $15-20k over the years. And who knows And a single one time donation and a total of 60 points or so could jump ahead? Just wrong Besides, if they are that young, they can walk the extra distance a lot easier than people in their 60s or later that they displaced. They must be so proud.

I assume that any longtime season ticket holder who donated sticker price was not jumped. Frankly, if the spot is important, and 15-20k has been given over the years, it seems like the $600 shouldn't be a barrier if the spot is truly important. (The poster who started the initial thread wasn't upset - just scoping what the golf lot would feel like.)

If NU wins three games next season, priority might be enough once again. But I bet paying the stated price would help.

("Do you know who I am?")

But you have, as long as I can remember, been able to donate $1500 to jump the queue. You could look at this as they have now lowered the amount required to jump the queue.

It does however seem like there could be some sort of grandfathering for people who have been in a particular lot for a long time. It's tough to say what would work without the numbers...

I assume that any longtime season ticket holder who donated sticker price was not jumped. Frankly, if the spot is important, and 15-20k has been given over the years, it seems like the $600 shouldn't be a barrier if the spot is truly important. (The poster who started the initial thread wasn't upset - just scoping what the golf lot would feel like.)

If NU wins three games next season, priority might be enough once again. But I bet paying the stated price would help.

("Do you know who I am?")
Situations change from year to year. Sometimes you cannot give what you could in the past or past donations were for specific causes or you are donating in other areas. And the $20k donator was not me but if they can do it to him with these new rules...

C. Care about parking
Over the last 28 years my wife and I have donated close to 150k to nu (primarily football). We have had season tickets since 1995. I did not donate this year because of a tax issue that froze access to all nonqualified accounts right before parking payment season. I lost west lot parking. So be it. Back of the line for me. Won't stop donating. Not happy about being flocked over by athletic Dept.

Over the last 28 years my wife and I have donated close to 150k to nu (primarily football). We have had season tickets since 1995. I did not donate this year because of a tax issue that froze access to all nonqualified accounts right before parking payment season. I lost west lot parking. So be it. Back of the line for me. Won't stop donating. Not happy about being flocked over by athletic Dept.

Yep, gotta say, that's pretty egregious, and you should be taken care of in this system, especially since it's not as if you are planning on not donating forever. Did you write Jim Phillips or your Wildcat fund rep to see if any exceptions could be made?

Yep, gotta say, that's pretty egregious, and you should be taken care of in this system, especially since it's not as if you are planning on not donating forever. Did you write Jim Phillips or your Wildcat fund rep to see if any exceptions could be made?
Under the system, if Pulmo donates $600 next year wouldn't he be very likely to get his spot back? The 20+ years of being a STH and donor probably have built up a quite a bit of points.

I would recommend you write someone at the athletics department about this. You clearly have extenuating circumstances. Even if they cannot accommodate you this year, I would hope they would not penalize your purple points for the break in giving (i.e., would reinstate your purple points as if you were a continuing annual contributor). Good luck.

Under the system, if Pulmo donates $600 next year wouldn't he be very likely to get his spot back? The 20+ years of being a STH and donor probably have built up a quite a bit of points.
Maybe but now he does not have continuous years of donations

I would recommend you write someone at the athletics department about this. You clearly have extenuating circumstances. Even if they cannot accommodate you this year, I would hope they would not penalize your purple points for the break in giving (i.e., would reinstate your purple points as if you were a continuing annual contributor). Good luck.
Ah but now you are making an exception. And once you do that...

Maybe but now he does not have continuous years of donations

25 consecutive years of giving gets you 75 points. $150,000 of total giving gives you 6,000 points. So it wouldn't really make much of a difference.

Ah but now you are making an exception. And once you do that...
A few year back I sent in my "donation" a week or two late and at first was informed that I had lost all my years of continuous giving. wrote Sean Morris and explained how it had just slipped my mind. He called a few days later and said that he didn't think it would be right, considering all I had given to NU to cut everything off of the books. Shortly after I got a letter, not an e-mail from Sean that showed that I would get a parking pass and all of my Priority Points reinstated. Ever thankful to Sean and Plumocat, I hope you get this straightened out. All this being said it sure sounds like we are dealing with different kind of people now.

Willy, you nailed it, "All this being said it sure sounds like we are dealing with different kind of people now."

The difference is that Shon Morris used "common sense" and had a true appreciation for those donors who had loyalty and donated to the athletic department over many years whether or not NU had winning teams. Shon also was personable and had a love for NU that I definitely don't see in today's staff. Shon was a very nice guy who was pushed out by the bean counters.

So if it's "what have you done for me lately" on the part of the athletic department minions, they may find that some long term, alumni donors will ask the same of them!

Look --- they have a vision. All hail Lord Jim. I am sure they will maximize this chump change incremental $$. Good for them! Happy to be done.

The difference is that Shon Morris used "common sense" and had a true appreciation for those donors who had loyalty and donated to the athletic department over many years whether or not NU had winning teams. Shon also was personable and had a love for NU that I definitely don't see in today's staff. Shon was a very nice guy who was pushed out by the bean counters.

When my daughter was looking at NU, we came to Evanston for the Northeastern football game. Friday afternoon we were walking around Ryan Field and ran across Shon. He stopped to talk to us, was extremely personable, and at the end game us a West Lot parking pass for the game. Probably why he was canned.

When my daughter was looking at NU, we came to Evanston for the Northeastern football game. Friday afternoon we were walking around Ryan Field and ran across Shon. He stopped to talk to us, was extremely personable, and at the end game us a West Lot parking pass for the game. Probably why he was canned.
Actually that was the kind of nice guy Shon was. Better he hand the pass over to a future Wildcat then to a Illinois or Minnesota 'Big Wig".

Actually that was the kind of nice guy Shon was. Better he hand the pass over to a future Wildcat then to a Illinois or Minnesota 'Big Wig".

You guys are ALL looking past a big issue !

People from other schools are ponying up the $600 and getting parking passes to use them the once every two years they play in Evanston. They then sell the other games more often than not to fans of out opponents.

We had Nebraska fans who had the seats next to us and showed up once every other year and sold the tickets to the other games.

I wonder how many of these there will be and how many loyal fans who have donated to the school, had season tickets for years did not get passes in favor of those willing to pay the ransom.

People from other schools are ponying up the $600 and getting parking passes to use them the once every two years they play in Evanston. They then sell the other games more often than not to fans of out opponents.

We had Nebraska fans who had the seats next to us and showed up once every other year and sold the tickets to the other games.

I wonder how many of these there will be and how many loyal fans who have donated to the school, had season tickets for years did not get passes in favor of those willing to pay the ransom.
I've heard this before but really doubt they would be dumb enough to pay $1200 to park in a lot once every other year. But then again it's Nebraska. Wonder what is going to happen when ND comes to Evanston. That's if they actually show up.

I too doubt this is happening because it would be pretty stupid but if true it's a sad commentary on own fan base if fans from OTHER SCHOOLS are willing to donate $600 to Northwestern but our own fans are not.

The idea that a donation to a football program can be written off like a donation to a real charity is a joke, pathetic and wrong.

I've heard this before but really doubt they would be dumb enough to pay $1200 to park in a lot once every other year. But then again it's Nebraska. Wonder what is going to happen when ND comes to Evanston. That's if they actually show up.
IT IS HAPPENING! We sat next to a couple who had six tickets for several years!

I would love to know how many tickets and passes are being mailed to Nebraska,Michigan, OSO. These people cannot get tickets for their home games so they buy tickets and go to the one game every other year and sell the others online.

How else to you explain the large numbers of opposing team fans sitting on our side of the field and the vans, RVs, and tailgates for opposing teams in the West lot! Surely the loyal NU fans would not be selling them theirs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT