ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Fitzgerald - 5 years from now

Hkjb

Apr 23, 2016
OK let's have some gallows fun imagining the future Fitz, 5 or 10 years later.
Growing up in a family of Hoosier fans, I watched Bobby Knight get hoisted - he was clearly an abusive guy yelling at the world, accountable to nobody. He had to go, although Hoosier fans at the time didn't agree. It was something to see him come back to Bloomington in 2020.
Fitz is a far, far better man. That's obvious, regardless of whether he had to go or not.

Where might he go and how might he morph?
  • Will he take all the flag waving and American fun, and anger metastasise into MAGAism? In this scenario he joins the battle against woke with Ron Desantis. Stranger things have happened. He is respected by our red-state rivals for sure, and I'd bet that a lot of republicans are on the "He shouldn't have been fired" side of the ledger.
  • Will he go into media and be a football commentator. This is the easy path - just let the noise abate for a while, then trade off his brand. If his brand is not damaged....
  • Another college coaching gig? Again, I would have to imagine red state, but private. Maybe Vanderbilt?
  • NFL? Our recent record does him no favours in this regard
  • Or, a triumphant return to NU after Shill and Gragg are out? (shouldn't be long).
What do you wise people think?

Last edited:
Growing up in a family of Hoosier fans, I watched Bobby Knight get hoisted - he was clearly an abusive guy yelling at the world, accountable to nobody, and he had to go, although Hoosier fans at the time didn't agree. It was something to see him come back to Bloomington in 2020.
Fitz is a far, far better man. That's obvious regardless of whether he had to go or not.

• Will he take all the flag waving and American fun, and let his anger metastasise into MAGAism? In this scenario he joins the battle against woke, and becomes Ron Desantis' guy. Stranger things have happened. He is respected by our re-state rivals for sure, and I'd eat my shoes if most republican's are on the "He shouldn't have been fired" side of the ledger.
  • Will he go into media and be a football commentator. This is the easy path - just let the noise abate for a while, then trade off his brand.
  • Another college coaching gig? Again, I would have to imagine red state, but private. Maybe Vanderbilt?
  • NFL? Our recent record does us no favours in this regard
  • Or, a triumphant return to NU after Shill and Gragg are out? (shouldn't be long).
Enjoy the millions from his NU settlement while popping up on tv every once in a while as a commentator, is the likely path.

Reactions: usopen30 and Hkjb
Growing up in a family of Hoosier fans, I watched Bobby Knight get hoisted - he was clearly an abusive guy yelling at the world, accountable to nobody. He had to go, although Hoosier fans at the time didn't agree. It was something to see him come back to Bloomington in 2020.
Fitz is a far, far better man. That's obvious, regardless of whether he had to go or not.

• Will he take all the flag waving and American fun, and anger metastasise into MAGAism? In this scenario he joins the battle against woke with Ron Desantis. Stranger things have happened. He is respected by our red-state rivals for sure, and I'd bet that a lot of republicans are on the "He shouldn't have been fired" side of the ledger.
  • Will he go into media and be a football commentator. This is the easy path - just let the noise abate for a while, then trade off his brand. If his brand is not damaged....
He'll be brought back in less than 10 years by a new administration and get Gragg's job.

Fitz was so tied up with NU, his ego, his life...his family. I am not sure he ever even envisioned anything but being coach at NU until maybe becoming AD or something else at the University. This really has to be devastating. My real question and I am going to take the position that he did not know..but now that there is no way that he does not know How do you think he really feels and thinks about the hazing incidents ?

Reactions: benoitdenizetl

I think you are underestimating the potential damage to Fitz’s career unless he is largely exonerated by the legal process. As things stand right now, I don’t think he is hirable other than maybe by the NFL as a position coach (kafka’s LB coach?). I don’t think the media or another university can touch him, which is a real travesty.

Last edited:
Fitz was so tied up with NU, his ego, his life...his family. I am not sure he ever even envisioned anything but being coach at NU until maybe becoming AD or something else at the University. This really has to be devastating. My real question and I am going to take the position that he did not know..but now that there is no way that he does not know How do you think he really feels and thinks about the hazing incidents ?

As far as I can tell, there aren't many new allegations that Fitz wouldn't have discussed as a result of the 6 month inquiry.
I am 100% sure that his initial reaction was that some claims were exaggerated and some were no big deal, while some of the allegations may have been disappointing to him.
I am also pretty confident that he would tell you "players on a team have to be able to discipline guys who aren't cutting it, for the sake of the team's morale."

I like him as a commentator for Fox Noon Kickoff once the lawsuits are resolved. But NBC and CBS will also want a telegenic coach for their TV packages with a million anecdotes about the Big Ten.

He will take the Bielema route IMO. I expect to see him named as a “senior defensive assistant” to some NFL team next year.

Reactions: corbi296
As far as I can tell, there aren't many new allegations that Fitz wouldn't have discussed as a result of the 6 month inquiry.
I am 100% sure that his initial reaction was that some claims were exaggerated and some were no big deal, while some of the allegations may have been disappointing to him.
I am also pretty confident that he would tell you "players on a team have to be able to discipline guys who aren't cutting it, for the sake of the team's morale."

I'm 100% sure that you're 100% clueless on what happened.

He surely has a lot of regrets even if (especially if?) he didn’t really know about the hazing. It may have been something he saw a little of if it started when he was in school, then turned into a blind spot for him when he became coach. He perhaps assumed that the culture of the program would prevent things from getting out of hand if he trusted his player-leaders to handle the locker room. He perhaps thought some “normal hazing” was going on and did not pursue it further. He also may not have changed his opinions enough with the times, as to what would be considered inappropriate now as opposed to 30 years ago.

I feel badly for him as a person and someone who was just a year apart in school, as I can relate to its impact at this stage of his family and career. But especially his identity being synonymous with NU, he lives nearby and may not even be welcome on campus?

Without opining on the specific, interesting question, I continue to believe that regardless of whether Coach Fitz knew or not (place me solidly in the camp of “he knew virtually everything that went on”), he failed miserably at Risk Management. Being the head guy and earning north of $5MM requires a level of diligence and leadership that, unfortunately, Coach Fitz did not maintain.

Reactions: cedricmelons
I think you are underestimating the potential damage to Fitz’s career unless he is largely exonerated by the legal process. As things stand right now, I don’t think he is hirable other than maybe by the NFL as a position coach (kafka’s LB coach?). I don’t think the media or another university can touch him, which is a real travesty.
Not sure. A lot of these guys don't "stay fired ". For every Art Briles, there is a Hugh Freeze. I think his biggest obstacle will be loss of identity. He would normally be remembered as that defensive guy that ran a tight ship. Now, It's clear that Hank was doing the heavy lifting. And Fitz's boy scout image is badly smeared.

So while I agree that Fitz's brand is badly damaged, I fully expect Urban Meyer to be working again.

Fitz will be coaching at that time and Jack will be with him .
I’m hoping for the alternative.

That the Fitzgeralds choose a new elite football academic program to support; and that Fitz ends up there as a football coach after Jack transfers.

There are a number of Ivy & Patriot League schools which would offer this opportunity.

I’m one of many people hoping for a happy ending for the Fitzes; this would be one of the happiest endings. Let him coach his sons.

After an analyst job on Saban's staff, Fitz will be head coach of Illinois/Indiana/Purdue in 5-10 years and running circles around NU in Evanston.

Reactions: FLCat07

He has a ton of $$$$$$$$$. He could coach FCS or lower FBS, no pressure on him, as he has his money. His post 2018 handling of the program in terms of football has been nothing short of horrid. I would hire Creighton from my alma mater EMU over Fitz now to be honest. Fitz has overseen probably one of the most dramatic collapses of a program in the Power Five in the modern era. If you talk the talk, you better walk the walk. Fitz right now is damaged goods on and off the field as his mystique has evaporated. It is just an unfortunate and sad turn of events.

Reactions: IGNORE2
He has a ton of $$$$$$$$$. He could coach FCS or lower FBS, no pressure on him, as he has his money. His post 2018 handling of the program in terms of football has been nothing short of horrid. I would hire Creighton from my alma mater EMU over Fitz now to be honest. Fitz has overseen probably one of the most dramatic collapses of a program in the Power Five in the modern era. If you talk the talk, you better walk the walk. Fitz right now is damaged goods on and off the field as his mystique has evaporated. It is just an unfortunate and sad turn of events.
Remember JON? Someone from his fraternal will give him a chance despite his ON the field issues before this.

Reactions: Hkjb
Not sure. A lot of these guys don't "stay fired ". For every Art Briles, there is a Hugh Freeze. I think his biggest obstacle will be loss of identity. He would normally be remembered as that defensive guy that ran a tight ship. Now, It's clear that Hank was doing the heavy lifting. And Fitz's boy scout image is badly smeared.

So while I agree that Fitz's brand is badly damaged, I fully expect Urban Meyer to be working again.
Would Liberty hire Fitz? Or did he need to participate directly in the hazing in order to be considered?

Even if he is exonerated, that is a legal process. Much harder to come back from the kind of damage done

Reactions: Hkjb

What a mess and the potential options are vast. I certainly wish Fitz and family the best.
However, for his sake, let us hope he and his agent have a better crises management team than Schill and Gragg. Coach Fitz has alot of serious issues that he must address.
1. Leadership- how could this hazing have been condoned by he and his leadership council of players. It appears to have been common knowledge.
2. Outcome of settlement (or trial) with NU. What will be divulged?
3. Can he coach in the modern NCAA? His offense absolutely does not lead to success. Does he understand NIL? Can he recruit using his limited offer philosophy? Does he have any idea how to use the grad transfer portal? How do you erase going from a Top 10 school and a Top 10 football team to a 4-20 record. How did it collapse? Can he hire quality assistants? Will parents and players buy his spiel, can he be trusted to protect your kid?
All of these questions are very difficult to answer and any college or university is going to be asking hard questions about his recent past.
It is not an easy scenario for anyone wishing to get involved.

Reactions: fcmchi and Dugan15
What a mess and the potential options are vast. I certainly wish Fitz and family the best.
However, for his sake, let us hope he and his agent have a better crises management team than Schill and Gragg. Coach Fitz has alot of serious issues that he must address.
1. Leadership- how could this hazing have been condoned by he and his leadership council of players. It appears to have been common knowledge.
2. Outcome of settlement (or trial) with NU. What will be divulged?
3. Can he coach in the modern NCAA? His offense absolutely does not lead to success. Does he understand NIL? Can he recruit using his limited offer philosophy? Does he have any idea how to use the grad transfer portal? How do you erase going from a Top 10 school and a Top 10 football team to a 4-20 record. How did it collapse? Can he hire quality assistants? Will parents and players buy his spiel, can he be trusted to protect your kid?
All of these questions are very difficult to answer and any college or university is going to be asking hard questions about his recent past.
It is not an easy scenario for anyone wishing to get involved.
Very good points. For all my concerns with Schill and Gragg, Fitz doesn’t come out looking good. I think we can all understand that a few players over the years really disliked him and despised their time at NU. But no matter what would have happened off the field in 2023, he still would have needed to fix an inept offensive philosophy, prove he could coach defense without Hank, recruit QBs who could develop into competent starters, and someone solve the NIL/transfer dilemma. I’m not sure he was up for that job. He may have needed a change of scenery, though he wouldn’t have wanted that with his sons coming to play for him.

Reactions: mekCat and IGNORE2
As a point of comparison, Bruce Pearl was banned for multiple years, but Auburn was banging on his door when he was eligible.

Fitz may have had that aura if the hazing report came out prior to the 2019 season, but certainly not now.

And Pearl is, like, openly sleazy.

Reactions: Jaguar 88
Very good points. For all my concerns with Schill and Gragg, Fitz doesn’t come out looking good. I think we can all understand that a few players over the years really disliked him and despised their time at NU. But no matter what would have happened off the field in 2023, he still would have needed to fix an inept offensive philosophy, prove he could coach defense without Hank, recruit QBs who could develop into competent starters, and someone solve the NIL/transfer dilemma. I’m not sure he was up for that job. He may have needed a change of scenery, though he wouldn’t have wanted that with his sons coming to play for him.
If he wants a HC job, he will get a HC job.

Please list your source. What activities did Fitzgerald know about? (I haven't seen anything definitive, if you have, please post it).

Imagine this scenario... Leadership council conducts a players-only meeting and tells everybody, especially the freshmen... "We have a code here... You give 100% all the time. If you are not putting out acceptable effort you will be punished. You do not want to force us to punish you."

Of course the punishment is "well-known."

Please list your source. What activities did Fitzgerald know about? (I haven't seen anything definitive, if you have, please post it).

Imagine this scenario... Leadership council conducts a players-only meeting and tells everybody, especially the freshmen... "We have a code here... You give 100% all the time. If you are not putting out acceptable effort you will be punished. You do not want to force us to punish you."

Of course the punishment is "well-known."
Okay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT