ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State losing early to App State

TheC

May 29, 2001
I am certain they'll end up winning by double digits, but its fun to see them losing at home right now. 10-7 Appalachian State late in the first.

What a finish. Bummer though, really wanted to see Franklin go down. PSU really should drop ranking for this.

What a finish. Bummer though, really wanted to see Franklin go down. PSU really should drop ranking for this.
That final App State td, while great, definitely left too much time on the clock, but hard to fault a kid for a great second effort.

Reactions: MickeyCat
Say what you want, but I saw two teams playing at an extremely high level out there, higher than the level of our game vs. Purdue (which I thought was quite good). I would not wanted to have played App St. Thursday....

Reactions: Frabjous
Say what you want, but I saw two teams playing at an extremely high level out there, higher than the level of our game vs. Purdue (which I thought was quite good). I would not wanted to have played App St. Thursday....

Oh for sure, that pass McSorely made for a TD at the end was spectacular. Doesn't make me like him any more :) I'll change my assessment a bit, McSorely is a talented douche. Although still over hyped by the media.

I'd kill to have one or two of the playmakers App State had.

That final App State td, while great, definitely left too much time on the clock, but hard to fault a kid for a great second effort.
Yes. I wouldn't be surprised if the Penn State defense let him score. Had the App State rb slid at the four yard line, they could have Forced Penn State to burn their time outs while running off a lot of the clock. Quarterbacks are coached to slide all the time. I hope Fitz shows this play to discuss why getting a quick touch down with two minutes to go isn't as good as running time off the clock in a tight game.

I hope Ohio State doesn’t ever schedule App State. Yes, I’m scared of them.
I think they have a formula for intense preparation for these opening games that starts as soon as their prior season ends. I doubt that the PSU and UM players gave them much thought until game week.

Penn State plays at Pitt next weekend. Should be fun to watch, as Pitt's new d-coordinator is former NU coach Randy Bates.

Hey, you've gotta score when you can score. What if the kid had gone down and then they'd fumbled or thrown an INT on the next play? I just think Penn State depth finally won out. The App State d-line looked gassed on the last drive in regulation and the one in overtime.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
Hey, you've gotta score when you can score. What if the kid had gone down and then they'd fumbled or thrown an INT on the next play? I just think Penn State depth finally won out. The App State d-line looked gassed on the last drive in regulation and the one in overtime.
Good point about scoring, you never know what’ll happen.

Franklin, on the other hand....

I don't see Franklin doing a lot of things any worse than most P5 coaches, and I think he looks pretty good compared to what's going on with OSU and Maryland this year. But I know a lot of people disagree — hey, it makes the world go 'round.

The kickoff return following the TD was big, not sure if that was a planned play or the kid did it on his own. App State had a body on him around the 10 yard line but he broke that and got another 40 yards or so, different game if they pin them at the 10 or the kid took the touch back,

I don't see Franklin doing a lot of things any worse than most P5 coaches, and I think he looks pretty good compared to what's going on with OSU and Maryland this year. But I know a lot of people disagree — hey, it makes the world go 'round.
Are you kidding?

Four players raped a girl under his watch at Vandy, and when passing out the sentences the judge called it something along the lines of “the saddest criminal case he’s overseen in his career”.

I bet that case is just the tip of the iceberg under that sketchbag. My guess: he’ll jump to the NFL if the NCAA comes sniffing and starts to find violations on his watch, and Ped State will somehow avoid the death penalty again.

Reactions: NUCat320
Yes. Franklin looks good compared to OSU and Maryland. It is a sad state if that is now our definition of character and class.

Reactions: BFDCat and Fitz51
Are you kidding?

Four players raped a girl under his watch at Vandy, and when passing out the sentences the judge called it something along the lines of “the saddest criminal case he’s overseen in his career”.

I bet that case is just the tip of the iceberg under that sketchbag.
I make my home in Nashville and that case was thoroughly reported. Franklin made no effort to cover anything up or to slow or impede the full reporting of the crime. Four of his players did something disgustingly wrong. None of the players had any such problems in their backgrounds and their high school coaches were stunned.

He is obnoxiously arrogant and will turn on PSU in a heartbeat if something gets offered that feeds his enormous ego. But I cannot see a way to hang any part of the rape case on him. I am not ready to paint him with that brush.

Are you kidding?

I bet that case is just the tip of the iceberg under that sketchbag. My guess: he’ll jump to the NFL if the NCAA comes sniffing and starts to find violations on his watch, and Ped State will somehow avoid the death penalty again.

Well, when they find his violations at Penn State, then we'll talk. Until then, all you have is speculation. I'll agree with the poster above that he has a big ego, but last I heard that wasn't a crime. Find me many Division I coaches who DON'T have a big ego. It sort of goes with the job. At Northwestern we had a gambling scandal under Barnett and had a player die at a practice a few years later under Walker. Were those incidents their fault? Not in my opinion, but you certainly could say it happened under their watch.

Penn State plays at Pitt next weekend. Should be fun to watch, as Pitt's new d-coordinator is former NU coach Randy Bates.
Not unlike the “IU Sucks” chant at Purdue on Thursday, Pitt fans have been known to start a random “P-E-N-N-S-T Sucks” (say it quickly, staccato 8th notes) when the mood strikes.

In West Lafayette, it’s pathetic. In Pittsburgh, it’s almost charming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT