ADVERTISEMENT

Perspective

loyolacat

Gold Member
Oct 21, 2006
We've come along way baby..
"The only difference between me and General Custer is that I have to watch the films on Sunday."- Rick Venturi, Northwestern football coach

Great quote, but pretty self deprecating as it was Custer's fault his regiment was being massacred. Think it was intended that way?

Great quote, but pretty self deprecating as it was Custer's fault his regiment was being massacred. Think it was intended that way?
Rick Venturi proved himself through a long career in the NFL as a competent and successful assistant coach. He knew football. He knew coaching. I would be very surprised If he were not watching those films counting off every single coaching and preparation mistake made per game. He would not have been successful later on were he not wired that way.

I am sure that he also saw the massive difference in strength, speed, and athleticism between his teams and his opponents.

So, I would guess that there was a self-deprecating element to this quote.

I don't think that Rick Venturi got the same level of support from the Strotz administration that Fitz receives from Morty and his team.

Reactions: nu greek
His total record as a head coach at all three locations was 3-48-1. He probably was pretty gunshy of the head spot after those experiences.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noah121
I don't think that Rick Venturi got the same level of support from the Strotz administration that Fitz receives from Morty and his team.
Back in the day, we used to suggest that Kotler, Levy, and Britt should handle the football program-----precursor to "Chicago's Big Ten Team".

His total record as a head coach at all three locations was 3-38-1. He probably was pretty gunshy of the head spot after those experiences.
You are giving him too much credit on his won-lost record. His first game was a 0-0 tie against Illinois and he only won one game against Wyoming, not three. Watching NU football was not a lot of fun in the Dark Days.

You are giving him too much credit on his won-lost record. His first game was a 0-0 tie against Illinois and he only won one game against Wyoming, not three. Watching NU football was not a lot of fun in the Dark Days.
It was the Wyoming game that turned me into a Cat fan. Was riding the bike around from Loyola..went by the Stadium....gates were wide open.. went in, Cats won and I have been going to games every since.....and no one stole my bike! Am I wrong or didnt that Wyoming game break a long losing streak?

Am I wrong or didnt that Wyoming game break a long losing streak?

The Wyoming game broke a 10 game losing streak. That was nothing compared to what was to come. NU lost the next 34 games before finally beating NIU soundly. I was at that game and it was surreal!

He was interim head coach twice in the NFL. He won two games there. That is where 3 came from. His record at NU was 1-31-1. His record as interim HC in the NFL (two teams) was 2-17. Total record 3-48-1. My original post had a typo which I just corrected.

And I remember how much fun that era was. I was in school from 1978-1982. I saw the entire Venturi Era.

Yeah, I think Strotz put a huge damper on the program then. I played a bit for Venturi and he knew his stuff. He just didn't have the support of the administration.

Venturi also sent a surprising number of players to the NFL from NU. He could identify talent but recruiting them to come to NU was another story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT