ADVERTISEMENT

Pete Nance down to three schools

GOUNUII

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2004
The recruitment of Pete Nance is a real enigma to me. It is strikingly quiet and his path to a Power 5 scholarship is unique to say the least. In the context of a brother and father that both went thru the process and on to the NBA, it just doesn't get much different than this. The complete opposite of the Lonzo/LaVar Ball approach to hoops success.

Here's a 6-10 kid ranked as high as top 40, and who may not be close to scratching his projected ceiling. Does he play for a top HS team? Nope. Revere HS plays competition that is at best middle of the road in the Akron area. Does he test his game at a highly competitive level of AAU hoops? Nope. He sticks with the Akron Bobcats, a program he has been with since grade school. Does he make numerous visits to top "name" schools? Nope. Is there a consensus on how good of a prospect he is? Nope. Is that more a function of staying out of the spotlight or just an honest difference in scouting evaluations? Who knows.

This is what I do know. Michigan and OSU and NU are reported to be his final 3, and Michigan is recruiting him hard. I like Belien a bunch, especially his evaluation acumen. That alone is good enough for me. Can we beat Michigan again? Will a troubled OSU program prevail? Really hard to get a feel for how the Nance brain trust plays this out.

GOUNUII

Reactions: Mossreportdos
In the context of a brother and father that both went thru the process and on to the NBA, it just doesn't get much different than this.

GOUNUII

You realize his big brother went to Wyoming? Not exactly the fast track to the NBA. Sr went to Clemson, which at least was ACC. I agree that for his talent his recruitment is strange. But the fact that his family settled in Bath or Richfield after Larry retired from the Cavs says to me that they are pretty much homebodies. Nice suburban area, Revere is an OK school, and LBJ is in the same school district (but doesn't send his kids to school there). If he can land a Power 5 scholarship, not far from home, without getting caught up in the AAU cesspool, more power to him!

Has Nance been on campus yet? Is it a realistic possibility that we might land him? It seems like he might be a future star for us if we get him. I hope we are recruiting him as hard as MI and OSU are. Word around the vines is that he is the real deal and a possible recruiting steal should he choose NU.

Has Nance been on campus yet? Is it a realistic possibility that we might land him? It seems like he might be a future star for us if we get him. I hope we are recruiting him as hard as MI and OSU are. Word around the vines is that he is the real deal and a possible recruiting steal should he choose NU.
He's the 39th rated player in the country - I wouldn't call that a steal.

Let's just get him! Maybe Teddy Greenstein should do a huge writeup about Nance in the Trib. like he did on Cormac! Could you imagine our lineup if we could get Nance, Cormac and Ayo in this recruiting season? Amazing!

We have two Cleveland guys on the roster already. Skelly and Pardon could help close the deal too.

Mickbula, I will go out on a limb and guarantee that if Collins really wants Nance, he is recruiting him as hard as MI and OSU, probably a lot harder. Please discard the idea that the NU staff does not work as hard as other staffs to get kids. You might inadvertently start a series of posts about how Collins does not like to recruit and that can only lead to a very dark, lonely place for all of us. :(

Mickbula, I will go out on a limb and guarantee that if Collins really wants Nance, he is recruiting him as hard as MI and OSU, probably a lot harder. Please discard the idea that the NU staff does not work as hard as other staffs to get kids. You might inadvertently start a series of posts about how Collins does not like to recruit and that can only lead to a very dark, lonely place for all of us. :(
Those were the old days pre Collins.

Man, I would hate to make my living recruiting -- after awhile, I think I'd make Carmody look like Calipari. It would get old real fast convincing 17-year-olds that you love them more than the other 20 schools who are recruiting him.

Man, I would hate to make my living recruiting -- after awhile, I think I'd make Carmody look like Calipari. It would get old real fast convincing 17-year-olds that you love them more than the other 20 schools who are recruiting him.
It's probably the most miserable job anyone with a college degree can do.

Man, I would hate to make my living recruiting - ...

I remember Dave Wannstedt as Bears coach once was asked why he left the college game. He answered something along the lines that he didn't like his livelihood dependent on the decisions of 17- and 18-year-olds. That makes perfect sense.

If a coach doesn't like or accept recruiting as a part of either major college sport, I dont blame them, but they are in the wrong business.

During March, Dan Dakich was telling stories about how Bob Knight despised recruiting for much of the later part of his tenure. Dakich said he would have to spend days convincing Knight to "get off his fat ass" and beg him to go visit Raef LaFrentz ... in Bloomington.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT