ADVERTISEMENT

Philly player got hand on the kick...

torque-cat

Dec 11, 2018
Replay clearly showed a Philly player getting their hand on the ball, which changed the spin and trajectory. Pretty amazing that the kick still had plenty of leg and almost made it anyway. Great play by Philly and awful luck for Chicago.

Hope Chicago fans don't blame the kicker and the kid gets another shot in the NFL.

Replay clearly showed a Philly player getting their hand on the ball, which changed the spin and trajectory. Pretty amazing that the kick still had plenty of leg and almost made it anyway. Great play by Philly and awful luck for Chicago.

Hope Chicago fans don't blame the kicker and the kid gets another shot in the NFL.

Au contraire.

I ought to feel better about this than I do.
No you shouldn’t: a loss is a loss.

However how about the awful time management by Nagy... and the crappy 2 point conversion playcall... or Trubisky burning a timeout on the final drive instead of running up to just spike the ball. Or the much-vaunted defense giving up the touchdown on their final drive (including our beloved McManis). There’s a lot of blame to go around.

The kicker could have won the game, but many decisions and poor execution lost it. I sure hope Nagy and Trubisky learn from this as more titles could be had if they figure it out.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Not buying the whole it was tipped excuse.
I have yet to see a replay where you can tell that the ball changed in flight as it went over the line.
Even if it was, how do we know that this minuscule change in trajectory didn’t actually improve the direction of the ball?
Maybe the kick was going to miss by two feet if not for the tip?
Jay Feely kicked for 14 years in the NFL, so he probably has a pretty good idea about what he’s talking about.
I don’t have anything against Cody Parkey, he had the fortitude to speak honestly with the press right after the game, I wish him well.

Considering he was a long time NFL kicker, his opinion might be worth considering.
I know. It was another of my feeble attempts at hilarity. But while we are on the subject, perhaps Mr. Feely could explain how a hand on a football does not change the trajectory of a kick. Chaos theory says it does.

Not buying the whole it was tipped excuse.
I have yet to see a replay where you can tell that the ball changed in flight as it went over the line.
Even if it was, how do we know that this minuscule change in trajectory didn’t actually improve the direction of the ball?
Maybe the kick was going to miss by two feet if not for the tip?
Yeah, or maybe it was going to make it by one foot. Or maybe the ball would have turned into a squirrel which might have dribbled nuts over the crowd.

And onto the subject of Jay Feely. Why didn’t he keep his big mouth shut? He of all people must know how a kicker would feel after missing that kick. Is he one of those jerks who builds himself up by bringing down others? I detest people like that.

I know. It was another of my feeble attempts at hilarity. But while we are on the subject, perhaps Mr. Feely could explain how a hand on a football does not change the trajectory of a kick. Chaos theory says it does.

It most likely did but it’s not clear of it was detrimental. Feely’s point is that Parkey did not get enough lift on the kick.

It most likely did but it’s not clear of it was detrimental. Feely’s point is that Parkey did not get enough lift on the kick.

43 yr yard kick and a Philly player gets a couple fingers on it about 9 ft in the air at the LOS. 1 in a 100 chance that happens, just horrible luck. Still almost went thru and still had plenty of leg. Can't recall a time when fans blamed a kicker for a play like that.

He didn't kill anyone, so the level of venom is over the top.

He didn't prove reliable over the course of the season, so Im hoping for an upgrade.

He didn't prove reliable over the course of the season, so Im hoping for an upgrade.

That makes sense. Probably good for all involved for the kid to go somewhere else.

Exactly. The frustration is not just about one jmissed kick. It’s about a crucial missed kick after a season full of missed kicks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT