ADVERTISEMENT

Physical Disparity and OSU coaching

catfans5

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2011
Due to my 15 year old daughter wanting to go to the game, I had to get an extra ticket. I was in the end zone and could see the size difference. OSU on offense and defense was about 1/2 foot taller than us at every position. Their d-backs enveloped our wide receivers. Their d-line was bigger and taller than our o-line. Pretty amazing disparity in size.

I also did not notice the dumb penalties which plagued OSU. I thought they were better coached team than under Urban.

This is a problem with our recruiting especially at skill positions. Most of our WRs and RBs are small. Small WRs present a smaller window and can’t stretch the field horizontally or vertically as much. Smaller RBs have trouble establishing the power run. Both small WR and RB may have trouble blocking. I do think our OL is undersized as well for the current B1G average.

We were really out coached...two of the touchdowns were just really good play calls....one where they isolated Dobbins on Gallagher and the other a speedy wide receiver on Whillock...Also noticed as the night went on they anticipated the quick throws and Dline got their hands up quickly to bat down several passes. That was a very good team...that out sized and out quicked us at many, many positions. High point Oline run blocking and Dline run stopping...

We were really out coached...two of the touchdowns were just really good play calls....one where they isolated Dobbins on Gallagher and the other a speedy wide receiver on Whillock...Also noticed as the night went on they anticipated the quick throws and Dline got their hands up quickly to bat down several passes. That was a very good team...that out sized and out quicked us at many, many positions. High point Oline run blocking and Dline run stopping...
Amen to all that and their reserve players looked pretty good too! We just don't have any "difference makers" on offense like they do.

Amen to all that and their reserve players looked pretty good too! We just don't have any "difference makers" on offense like they do.
I doubt any NU player would make it onto the OSU 2-deep. Perhaps Paddy or Gaz. But OSU recruits top 5 talent and it showed last night.

If winning is all that matters to you, you probably shouldn't be a Northwestern fan.
They need all of the fans they can get. Maybe if winning is not important they should switch to the Ivy League or become an Independent and schedule the likes of Lake Forest and Wheaton college.

I was able to move to my seats in Sec 109 for the 2nd quarter. I noticed that OSU played a single safety with press coverage on the outside. Since we kept our SB to block along with back, we had 3 going out. Their LBs dropped into zone. OSU jumped our horizontal passing game and no was open. It really helps to have athletes. A well executed defense by them. They made no mental errors.

You could tell the difference between this team and Urban’s team last year. We hit some explosive plays last year. They stopped that. They could live with our occasional good play because they knew we could not sustain it. OSU has a new coach with a new energy and urgency. We have no urgency or energy since PF is the coach for life.

Reactions: NU Houston
I wonder how many players on Ohio Sate's 2-deep could get accepted into Northwestern.

I know we offered QB Fields and LB Werner. Not sure about LB Borland out of Bolingbrook .

They need all of the fans they can get. Maybe if winning is not important they should switch to the Ivy League or become an Independent and schedule the likes of Lake Forest and Wheaton college.

Winning is pretty dang important at Wheaton College, perhaps more so than at Northwestern based upon the dimbulbs they brought into the program on need scholarships back in the day. The head coach was criticized for some of the lunkheads he brought into the school.

Is that all you got?

No.

Here's a worksheet for you to bone up on your homophones...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT