ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburg Press view of the Pinstripe Bowl positioning of Pitt v NU

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
Having been snubbed last year in their bowl selection there seems to be satisfaction that this year Pitt made it to a "tier-one ACC bowl," whatever that means since there is actually one more higher tier in the ACC pecking order:

"This time a year ago, it seemed the Pitt football team had a good chance to end up in the Pinstripe Bowl.

About 12 months later, the Panthers are headed to Yankee Stadium after all.

Pitt, ranked No. 22 in the Associated Press poll and No. 20 in the final College Football Playoff rankings, will face Big Ten Conference opponent Northwestern in the Pinstripe Bowl at 2 p.m. Dec. 28. It’s a tier-one ACC bowl for Pitt (8-4) a year after being passed over and landing in the Military Bowl."

The rest of the story:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...e-Bowl-at-Yankee-Stadium/stories/201612040227

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Having been snubbed last year in their bowl selection there seems to be satisfaction that this year Pitt made it to a "tier-one ACC bowl," whatever that means since there is actually one more higher tier in the ACC pecking order:

"This time a year ago, it seemed the Pitt football team had a good chance to end up in the Pinstripe Bowl.

Pitt, ranked No. 22 in the Associated Press poll and No. 20 in the final College Football Playoff rankings, will face Big Ten Conference opponent Northwestern in the Pinstripe Bowl at 2 p.m. Dec. 28. It’s a tier-one ACC bowl for Pitt (8-4) a year after being passed over and landing in the Military Bowl."

The rest of the story:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...e-Bowl-at-Yankee-Stadium/stories/201612040227
Hey, guys there's an "h" on the end of "Pittsburgh." We're in Pennsylvania, not Kansas. I know you midwest intellectuals aren't into spelling or geography but come on. Hail to Pit!!!

Hey, guys there's an "h" on the end of "Pittsburgh." We're in Pennsylvania, not Kansas. I know you midwest intellectuals aren't into spelling or geography but come on. Hail to Pit!!!

Hey dude, there's another "t" on the end of "Pitt". I know you Yinzers aren't even remotely interested in English, let alone spelling, but come on!

Go Cats! Hail to Pitt!

That was kind of the crux of my post...

The rest of the story:

Where are you at in Alaska, in 1970s was there many times with Oil Firms building the Pipeline and developing Purdon Bay & Alyeska Pipeline Service Company, almost moved to Palmer but turn the position down. Enjoy it very much! Many friends still there. Loved warning to turn off the Radio if one did not want to hear the Monday Football Score! Many Football Games over by Sunday Morning too in those day.

Best Hunting and Fishing ever seen, and love the Halibut more than the Salmon & Crab Legs! Portage Glacier was my favorite visits.

Hope for good game in Pinstripe Bowl!

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Where are you at in Alaska, in 1970s was there many times with Oil Firms building the Pipeline and developing Purdon Bay & Alyeska Pipeline Service Company, almost moved to Palmer but turn the position down. Enjoy it very much! Many friends still there. Loved warning to turn off the Radio if one did not want to hear the Monday Football Score! Many Football Games over by Sunday Morning too in those day.

Best Hunting and Fishing ever seen, and love the Halibut more than the Salmon & Crab Legs! Portage Glacier was my favorite visits.

Hope for good game in Pinstripe Bowl!

He's in Anchorage.

Where are you at in Alaska, ..... Loved warning to turn off the Radio if one did not want to hear the Monday Football Score! Many Football Games over by Sunday Morning too in those day. .....

As FloridAlum stated, Anchorage. Regarding watching football in Alaska, as you noted in the 70s the games would be shown on a delayed broadcast on TV due to the time zone difference. However, growing up here I recall when it could be several days after the games were played that we could see them on TV since the film had to be flown here by air. The availability of nationally broadcast cable TV has changed both of those metrics.

As FloridAlum stated, Anchorage. Regarding watching football in Alaska, as you noted in the 70s the games would be shown on a delayed broadcast on TV due to the time zone difference. However, growing up here I recall when it could be several days after the games were played that we could see them on TV since the film had to be flown here by air. The availability of nationally broadcast cable TV has changed both of those metrics.
It used to take me a day of Flying from Cleveland to Seattle to Anchorage and then in September I would watch 3 Hour Sunsets, in December I would watch Sun come up 11AM and set by 2 PM. Stayed at the Hilton and across the street most Pipeline & Oil Workers went to The Great Alaskan Bush Strip Club! Even when we went to Shop we kept our engine on and many cars had engine plug in heaters. Many Babies born in September due to the Dark Days of December!

It would start in September in Anchorage and see the Snow on Top of the Mountains first at the Top and Crest and each day get lower and lower until in the streets and the Moose everywhere looking for food.

Alaska is a beautiful place with a warm, beautiful late summer and fall comparable to the northern mainland. Winter can be pretty and snowy, and freeze the nose the minute you step outside. But great people and fewer women in those days, it was like 7 to 1 Ratio? University of Alaska did not play Football Games.

I have family in Texas now and they said, in North one stays in the Home during the winter, but in Texas one stays in Home in the Summers??? Same in Alaska but shorter and longer seasons!

You seeing any Global Warming up there?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT