ADVERTISEMENT

players sitting out of bowl games

Deeringfish

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2008
We have touched on the merit and lack of merit of guys not playing in bowl games to avoid injury and loss of NFL opportunity. There is some fear that this will diminish the bowls and college football in general.

Things tend to evolve. When players start to behave one way coaches adjust in another way.
If big name guys sitting out becomes problematic in some way teams will make adjustments IMO.

I'd be curious to hear some of you speculate what might change if this ever becomes epidemic in a negative way. What could coaches do to mitigate the impact on their team? What would the bowls do? Stuff like that. I'm more interested in the creative possibilities but I'll accept the doom and gloom of those of you who can't muster anything better.;)

We have touched on the merit and lack of merit of guys not playing in bowl games to avoid injury and loss of NFL opportunity. There is some fear that this will diminish the bowls and college football in general.

Things tend to evolve. When players start to behave one way coaches adjust in another way.
If big name guys sitting out becomes problematic in some way teams will make adjustments IMO.

I'd be curious to hear some of you speculate what might change if this ever becomes epidemic in a negative way. What could coaches do to mitigate the impact on their team? What would the bowls do? Stuff like that. I'm more interested in the creative possibilities but I'll accept the doom and gloom of those of you who can't muster anything better.;)
To a coach, it would be a depth issue no different from a sudden injury to a key player. The only difference is that the coach gets to plan in advance for the loss of the player and give the back-up the bowl prep reps. It even gives the coach the opportunity to really use the bowl practices for future players without the fans getting down on him for not focusing on winning the bowl game.

Basketball has dealt with a the similar issue for years where the better teams having to start over from scratch each year with the one-and-done players. For the top teams, it is just a part of recruiting the best players.

Now...

If - after a team's second loss of a season which puts them out of championship contention - key players start dropping out mid-season, then that starts impacting an entire year of the quality of play rather than one game. This impacts television ratings and ticket sales. This is where the players may have finally found their edge to allow for some form of collective bargaining which gives colleges the ability to have the contractual ability to withhold something from them for lack of play. On the flip side, the colleges have to give them something to withhold.

The only other option is a joint deal with the NFL which directly impacts the NFL salary of the players that skip games. In my opinion, such an action would create a major sh**storm and end up with the NCAA in worse bargaining position in the long run.

I don't know if this is positive or doom and gloom.

Now...

If - after a team's second loss of a season which puts them out of championship contention - key players start dropping out mid-season, then that starts impacting an entire year of the quality of play rather than one game. This impacts television ratings and ticket sales. This is where the players may have finally found their edge to allow for some form of collective bargaining which gives colleges the ability to have the contractual ability to withhold something from them for lack of play. On the flip side, the colleges have to give them something to withhold.

I had not thought of that possible eventuality. The up side I see to that is greater parity between teams, a thing that I see as lacking in college football.

As a society we emphasize championships. If the game does not impact the ability to be a championship team then it isn't all that important. Look at all the posters talking about how the bowl system is meaningless.

It is common in the NBA for players like LeBron to "rest". Did Magic or Michael ever "rest" when they had meaningless games. So even professional leagues have this problem.

Bottom line is the game goes on. If the second string guy plays so be it. I will still enjoy the game and if it's my team with impacted guys, it will give me a glimpse of the next guy. People are making too big of a deal out of this.

IIRC, a rookie in the NFL make about a half million at least.

Not sure about the rest of you, but to me that's still a chunk of money - a game changer for a kid from a working class family. Even compared to a Kellogg starting salary, it is pretty good.

Take the money.

Reactions: LACatFan
I had not thought of that possible eventuality. The up side I see to that is greater parity between teams, a thing that I see as lacking in college football.
I don't think it results in parity. If a player from a good SEC team starts sitting after loss two or three, suddenly Alabama's path forward becomes that much easier.

What will truly be interesting is whether the freak athletes with unimpeachable draft status start sitting out seasons. Jadaveon Clowney reportedly considered skipping his junior year, but instead played through an injury riddled season (before, ultimately, still going number one overall). He's been an injury-riddled disappointment until this NFL season.

I tend to think this won't be a widespread "problem": just about everybody could benefit from quality game film to increase up their draft grade. If it does, the only solution is, as always, "next man up".

Yes, yank their scholarships. It's a breach of contract. Schools might not be willing to do this (due to negative publicity) for sitting out a single bowl game, but if players start trying to sit out mid-season, I'll bet they would.

I don't think it results in parity. If a player from a good SEC team starts sitting after loss two or three, suddenly Alabama's path forward becomes that much easier.

What will truly be interesting is whether the freak athletes with unimpeachable draft status start sitting out seasons. Jadaveon Clowney reportedly considered skipping his junior year, but instead played through an injury riddled season (before, ultimately, still going number one overall). He's been an injury-riddled disappointment until this NFL season.

I tend to think this won't be a widespread "problem": just about everybody could benefit from quality game film to increase up their draft grade. If it does, the only solution is, as always, "next man up".
But wouldn't the Alabama's have more guys dropping out?

Aside from the play-offs, the rest of the bowls are basically like pre-season games and ones who benefit the most are the coaches (who usually have bonuses written into their contracts) w/ potential high draft picks having the most to lose.

They already made a ton of $$ for their schools and coaches - don't see why they need to risk their financial future for a game that has little bearing.

Reactions: NJCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT