ADVERTISEMENT

Playing time for key players in out of conference games

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
I believe that if the Cats realize plausible improvement in two of three offensive areas (QB, WR and OL) they will contend for the Western Division championship. With that in mind, there are at least 3 players (Walker, Harris and Igwebuike) whose loss would be a major setback to that goal, and, assuming the probability of injury during the full year, whose backups could be critical during the conference season. Along the same lines, Having Alviti ready in case Thorson is either injured or falters could also be critical during the conference season. Clearly, reducing snaps for the starters improves the development of backups and reduces injury risk. Assuming Western Michigan and Duke are likely to be highly contested games, if you are Fitz, how much do you play the three defensive players identified and Alviti in those two games. with the understanding that reduced time for the four starters in question could significantly increase the risk of being upset by Western and Duke?

I believe that if the Cats realize plausible improvement in two of three offensive areas (QB, WR and OL) they will contend for the Western Division championship. With that in mind, there are at least 3 players (Walker, Harris and Igwebuike) whose loss would be a major setback to that goal, and, assuming the probability of injury during the full year, whose backups could be critical during the conference season. Along the same lines, Having Alviti ready in case Thorson is either injured or falters could also be critical during the conference season. Clearly, reducing snaps for the starters improves the development of backups and reduces injury risk. Assuming Western Michigan and Duke are likely to be highly contested games, if you are Fitz, how much do you play the three defensive players identified and Alviti in those two games. with the understanding that reduced time for the four starters in question could significantly increase the risk of being upset by Western and Duke?

Starters play until the game is essentially decided. There isn't much decision to make, really.

What kind of question is this? Western and Duke are almost assuredly bowl bound and two of the better teams on our schedule, certainly Western is. You'd be better off asking if we should be resting anyone for Purdue or Illinois (it would still be an inane question, but you'd be better off).

Western could be like playing an 11-0 Northern Illinois team of years past. They may have the most explosive offense we face all season and are easy favorites to win the MAC, and will probably be ranked if they win all their games or all but one (which is a distinct possibility) and has an outside chance of being in the BCS Playoff discussion (not the actual playoff, but they could make the 12 team field). I'm not saying we're going to lose, but this is not a good matchup for NU. Explosive offense that may be able to score on our vaunted D, and our O better have improved from last year or we may not be able to keep up if they do. They are going to be the best passing offense we face all season, and their star WR could be a 1st round pick and likely the best receiver we face all season, and that includes anyone in a Wolverine or Buckeye jersey. Their QB may be the best we see too minus JT Barrett. I'm usually dismissive of the weaker MAC teams (realizing we play down to the competition and often lay an egg) but this Western team is no joke and we better respect them and be ready to play or we could get housed.

Rest our players? Hell, we better be ready for 4 quarters of all-out ball. The worst will be is if we are up by two TDs in the 2nd half and Fitz does his usual let-our-foot-off the pedal move. This is an offense that can explode and make up ground in a hurry. We better not rest our starters until the clock hits zero on this team.

Last edited:
I would agree with anyone who says Fitz doesn't give the backups enough playing time when we have the game in the bag, and it's worthless to put a guy like Alviti in just to hand the ball off.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't play the backups unless we're up by 25 or more going into the 4th, maybe 21 or more halfway into the 4th. I've seen too much college football and more specifically, too much Northwestern football to do otherwise.

What kind of question is this? Western and Duke are almost assuredly bowl bound and two of the better teams on our schedule, certainly Western is. You'd be better off asking if we should be resting anyone for Purdue or Illinois (it would still be an inane question, but you'd be better off).

Western could be like playing an 11-0 Northern Illinois team of years past. They may have the most explosive offense we face all season and are easy favorites to win the MAC, and will probably be ranked if they win all their games or all but one (which is a distinct possibility) and has an outside chance of being in the BCS Playoff discussion (not the actual playoff, but they could make the 12 team field). I'm not saying we're going to lose, but this is not a good matchup for NU. Explosive offense that may be able to score on our vaunted D, and our O better have improved from last year or we may not be able to keep up if they do. They are going to be the best passing offense we face all season, and their star WR could be a 1st round pick and likely the best receiver we face all season, and that includes anyone in a Wolverine or Buckeye jersey. Their QB may be the best we see too minus JT Barrett. I'm usually dismissive of the weaker MAC teams (realizing we play down to the competition and often lay an egg) but this Western team is no joke and we better respect them and be ready to play or we could get housed.

Rest our players? Hell, we better be ready for 4 quarters of all-out ball. The worst will be is if we are up by two TDs in the 2nd half and Fitz does his usual let-our-foot-off the pedal move. This is an offense that can explode and make up ground in a hurry. We better not rest our starters until the clock hits zero on this team.

This Western game scares me more than any other.
a) Losing to a MAC team, no matter how good they are, feels worse than beating them feels good.
b) As the first game, it sets the tone for the whole season. Last year we hung our hat on the Stanford win all season. Lose to a MAC team and it is a thorn in your side the whole way.
c) If we lose the first game, it will take three or four wins in a row to feel confident (as a fan) again.

Reactions: Sheffielder
This Western game scares me more than any other.
a) Losing to a MAC team, no matter how good they are, feels worse than beating them feels good.
b) As the first game, it sets the tone for the whole season. Last year we hung our hat on the Stanford win all season. Lose to a MAC team and it is a thorn in your side the whole way.
c) If we lose the first game, it will take three or four wins in a row to feel confident (as a fan) again.

Completely agree. WMU will be a tough test. Good way to start the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT