ADVERTISEMENT

Plus/Minus for the Cakewalk over Minnesota

Nice deflect Bob. Where did I say CCC was wise to sit him? What do you expect I guess from a guy who admits he hasn’t gone to a game or watched any? How about you answer a question or once? Too tough for you?
As soon as you actually take a strong position. Of course you didn’t say that. You don’t say anything other than to attack thoughts, opinions, ideas, analysis of others.

Here’s one: scoreboard. Final record. Post season status. We can disagree forever about NUs approach to athletics and competitive accomplishments. I hope they can CCC. Probably won’t. And I’ll return to mock and highlight how bad he is and how Incompetent NU athletic department is.

At this point it’s low hanging fruit. If CCC returns, there will be more involvement here than at home games. As it should be.

As soon as you actually take a strong position. Of course you didn’t say that. You don’t say anything other than to attack thoughts, opinions, ideas, analysis of others.

Here’s one: scoreboard. Final record. Post season status. We can disagree forever about NUs approach to athletics and competitive accomplishments. I hope they can CCC. Probably won’t. And I’ll return to mock and highlight how bad he is and how Incompetent NU athletic department is.

At this point it’s low hanging fruit. If CCC returns, there will be more involvement here than at home games. As it should be.
Bob, ask me a question if you want an answer. I will give a straight forward position that you can retrieve in the archives and ridicule me for being wrong! You are superb at pulling up archives so have at it.

I can count the number of people that I have regularly sparred with on these boards in one hand and that’s with being here a decade or so. If people don’t want their opinions challenged, they should stay off the boards. Based on your posting history, I think you believe this too. You certainly don’t shy away from expressing when you believe others are misinformed! The same way you attack the “Klan” or whatever you call them now, bro. Those throwing stones shouldn’t live in glass houses.

Reactions: IGNORE2
What amazes me is that everybody agrees that Nance is undersized to be playing center and acknowledges that he is an excellent shooter from 3 and really anywhere. Most acknowledge that his length makes him a good help defender and decent rebounder.

Young is a better rebounder and interior defender than Nance, with footspeed and jumping limitations, who doesn't shoot from beyond 10 feet with any success.

They complement each other very well as their skill sets are quite different.

And yet the coach doesn't see it.
Nance is a better defensive rebounder than Young is. Depending on the opponent can be a better interior defender than Young. Neither are + inside defenders but at least Nance can alter shots with his height. If Young was a better defender I think we would have seen them play more together.

Nance is a better defensive rebounder than Young is. Depending on the opponent can be a better interior defender than Young. Neither are + inside defenders but at least Nance can alter shots with his height. If Young was a better defender I think we would have seen them play more together.
Here's what we know: the Nance/Beran + Others combo as our core group does not work well. We can say this confidently, we have a body of evidence of 7-13 and 1-10 Quad 1 wins.

Here's what we don't know: if the Nance/Young + Others combo is a better core group. We can say this because it was not attempted. 2-5 minute stretches don't constitute an attempt. Even one game I'd argue does not constitute an attempt. Despite a poor season, we did not try it. And it's not a ludicrous idea, proof of that is multiple commentators mentioning it. It is not just message board fodder. It is rare for commentators to question things like this. And, yet, they did.

Personally I think it would have resulted in a 8-12 to 10-10 season for us. No way to confirm this. Obviously, and the reasons of my fondness for the approach have been widely stated around here.

Was it our only way of being better this season? Hell no. I don't even think it was the biggest problem. For me the biggest problem was CC inability to lead a group to be disciplined on offense. To execute fundamentals. To make good decisions. To show maturity on the court. It's a failure in coaching. After years with the same guys the man has very little to show in the form of a group that gelled together. Maybe asking us to be Moser's Loyola, a prime example of a not necessarily very talented team, but one that surely knew how to execute, is asking too much. Or, for $3M it isn't. It's a failure in coaching. The man does not have it in him. At year 9 it's not a stretch to conclude this.

I heard CC state, in the last presser, that we won 3 games, followed by 6. Progress. Followed by 7, from 13th to 10th. Progress. The apologist that "does not make excuses" making a case for the season perhaps not being a total S show. It does not matter that it's NU with its specificities: in the year your stud is a senior, with a seasoned group that has been together for quite a while, if you can't deliver better than 7-13, you suck. In Evanston, Lincoln, Minneapolis, or where ever the hell you are.

Last edited:

I heard CC state, in the last presser, that we won 3 games, followed by 6. Progress. Followed by 7, from 13 to 10th. Progress. The apologist that "does not make excuses" making a case for the season perhaps not being a total S show. It does not matter that it's NU with its specificities: in the year your stud is a senior, with a seasoned group that has been together for quite a while, if you can't deliver better than 7-13, you suck. In Evanston, Lincoln, Minneapolis, or where the hell you are.

“Hey guys, we’re tenth in the Big Ten. Pretty good, eh?”

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Here's what we know: the Nance/Beran + Others combo as our core group does not work well. We can say this confidently, we have a body of evidence of 7-13 and 1-10 Quad 1 wins.

Here's what we don't know: if the Nance/Young + Others combo is a better core group. We can say this because it was not attempted. 2-5 minute stretches don't constitute an attempt. Even one game I'd argue does not constitute an attempt. Despite a poor season, we did not try it. And it's not a ludicrous idea, proof of that is multiple commentators mentioning it. It is not just message board fodder. It is rare for commentators to question things like this. And, yet, they did.

Personally I think it would have resulted in a 8-12 to 10-10 season for us. No way to confirm this. Obviously, and the reasons of my fondness for the approach have been widely stated around here.

Was it our only way of being better this season? Hell no. I don't even think it was the biggest problem. For me the biggest problem was CC inability to lead a group to be disciplined on offense. To execute fundamentals. To make good decisions. To show maturity on the court. It's a failure in coaching. After years with the same guys the man has very little to show in the form of a group that gelled together. Maybe asking us to be Moser's Loyola, a prime example of a not necessarily very talented team, but one that surely knew how to execute, is asking too much. Or, for $3M it isn't. It's a failure in coaching. The man does not have it in him. At year 9 it's not a stretch to conclude this.

I heard CC state, in the last presser, that we won 3 games, followed by 6. Progress. Followed by 7, from 13th to 10th. Progress. The apologist that "does not make excuses" making a case for the season perhaps not being a total S show. It does not matter that it's NU with its specificities: in the year your stud is a senior, with a seasoned group that has been together for quite a while, if you can't deliver better than 7-13, you suck. In Evanston, Lincoln, Minneapolis, or where ever the hell you are.
I have no idea if CCC will be replaced after tonight’s game or not. However, it would just seem like you are delaying the inevitable for one more season. Recruiting the next class would be very difficult with our results and a Coach hanging on a thread. CCC got the nail in the coffin when that Brumbaugh kid backed out of his verbal.

I really like Roper and think he will be very good. Simmons should grow his game a ton next year. Haven’t seen enough of Barney to know yet, but this is a start for anyone that comes in. Believe it or not, I also expect MN to be a contributor next season. Either as a back up to RY or a starter of RY moves on. I just don’t think he is more than a 5 minutes guy right now with the players ahead of him. There is something for a new Coach to work with, especially if MN is all that some think he can be.

Bottom line is results. They weren’t good enough, end of story. All this talk of playing RY with PN or MN more minutes or Chase off the bench is irrelevant board chatter. It didn’t happen so no one here can assume it would have worked or not worked. We’ll never know. Maybe MN will average a double/double next year, maybe RY will be defensive player of the year. What we do know is none if that happened this year. What I do agree with, is things aren’t working try something different. That just didn’t happen enough.

Reactions: GatoLouco
I have no idea if CCC will be replaced after tonight’s game or not. However, it would just seem like you are delaying the inevitable for one more season. Recruiting the next class would be very difficult with our results and a Coach hanging on a thread. CCC got the nail in the coffin when that Brumbaugh kid backed out of his verbal.

I really like Roper and think he will be very good. Simmons should grow his game a ton next year. Haven’t seen enough of Barney to know yet, but this is a start for anyone that comes in. Believe it or not, I also expect MN to be a contributor next season. Either as a back up to RY or a starter of RY moves on. I just don’t think he is more than a 5 minutes guy right now with the players ahead of him. There is something for a new Coach to work with, especially if MN is all that some think he can be.

Bottom line is results. They weren’t good enough, end of story. All this talk of playing RY with PN or MN more minutes or Chase off the bench is irrelevant board chatter. It didn’t happen so no one here can assume it would have worked or not worked. We’ll never know. Maybe MN will average a double/double next year, maybe RY will be defensive player of the year. What we do know is none if that happened this year. What I do agree with, is things aren’t working try something different. That just didn’t happen enough.
I have no idea either if CC will be replaced. My guess is he won't. And pretty much agree with everything you said.

A recent article I saw that was very pro "it makes sense for CC to go":

My personal wish would be that he is replaced and that we keep everyone other than Nance and Greer. That would be a pretty decent roster for someone else to start with. Problem is, when a coach leaves the tendency is to see an exodus.

Even not considering portal considerations I tend to look at a roster in terms of depth chart as having a minimum of 3 serviceable front court and 4 back court players. Not ideal, but going 7 deep is often what a ton of teams do anyway. And we can still have it.

FC - Young/Beran/Nicholson and maybe Hunger
BC - Boo/Berry/Audige/Roper/Simmons/Barnhizer

I have no idea either if CC will be replaced. My guess is he won't. And pretty much agree with everything you said.

A recent article I saw that was very pro "it makes sense for CC to go":

My personal wish would be that he is replaced and that we keep everyone other than Nance and Greer. That would be a pretty decent roster for someone else to start with. Problem is, when a coach leaves the tendency is to see an exodus.

Even not considering portal considerations I tend to look at a roster in terms of depth chart as having a minimum of 3 serviceable front court and 4 back court players. Not ideal, but going 7 deep is often what a ton of teams do anyway. And we can still have it.

FC - Young/Beran/Nicholson and maybe Hunger
BC - Boo/Berry/Audige/Roper/Simmons/Barnhizer
That FC is a problem. Not enough bodies. Need a transfer or two in. Every year someone transfer out, so there is a good chance it will be even shallower that what you hope for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT