ADVERTISEMENT

Portal update

Collins was quick to offer him a few years back, despite our odds being long. (Also offered the same day, iirc, was Gradey Dick.) I'd like to think our chances are a little better this time around.
I didn't know that NU offered Schutt. Hopefully they each impressed the other. At least we know he got past admissions the first time.

Malik Mack to Georgetown. I believe he has a Maryland tattoo on his shoulder, so it's not a total surprise he's ended up in the DMV. It's kinda wild that in 2024, resurrecting Georgetown feels like a more ambitious lift than bringing NU back for a third consecutive tourney appearance.

• Wow
Reactions: NUCat320
$$$ are the reason, I would bet.

Maybe, but Georgetown isn't a powerhouse program with the fans these days. They have been down a long time. My guess is he wanted to play close to home and liked the idea of being a much needed leader. He played at St John's in DC's WAC in high school. That's as DC as it gets.

Reactions: macarthur31
2023 was the year with the highest amount of players in the portal according to verbal commits. They listed 1,717 players

This year the number is, right now, at 1,703

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Saw this on the /CollegeBasketball subreddit - a commenter shared a website he made which pulls data to rank players in the portal across different stats and metrics. From my quick scan, the Jalens compare quite favorably. (However, if you're a redshirt frosh like Parker Strauss - you're not comparable as you don't have stats registered.).

Some new names in the portal...

TJ Power. Yet another Duke guy. 6'9" 220 lbs forward. Been at Duke for 1 season. Came in as the #17 player in his nationwide recruiting class. Played about 5 minutes a game.

Max Shulga. From Ukraine. 6'4" 200 lbs. Started at Utah State in fall of 2020. Transferred to VCU last season. 14.0 ppg, 3.6 assists. 40% from 3. Generally viewed as VCU's best player. Combo guard.

Chibuzo Agbo. Boise State. 6'7" 230 lbs. Two years at Texas Tech. Two years at Boise State. 40% from 3 on 5 attempts per game the last 2 seasons. 5 rebounds, 12.5 ppg.

Reactions: macarthur31

TJ Power. Yet another Duke guy. 6'9" 220 lbs forward. Been at Duke for 1 season. Came in as the #17 player in his nationwide recruiting class. Played about 5 minutes a game.

Max Shulga. From Ukraine. 6'4" 200 lbs. Started at Utah State in fall of 2020. Transferred to VCU last season. 14.0 ppg, 3.6 assists. 40% from 3. Generally viewed as VCU's best player. Combo guard.

Chibuzo Agbo. Boise State. 6'7" 230 lbs. Two years at Texas Tech. Two years at Boise State. 40% from 3 on 5 attempts per game the last 2 seasons. 5 rebounds, 12.5 ppg.
They all sound intriguing. I assume Power will reach out to the schools that originally recruited him but it can’t hurt to take a shot at a top 25 type player, especially a big.

Another Dukie - Sean Stewart - 6'9 Forward - FR. Played 8 min a game, came in as the 247 composite #17 player in the country. Duke has now 7 players in the portal.

Xavier SO 6'6 guard - Desmond Claude - Averaged 16.6/4.2/3.2. Came in as #86 nationally.

Lots of strong, strong players getting in the portal late. Maybe seeing how the roster is shaping up where they are?

Just for fun, Wesley Cardet, Jr. - CHICAGO STATE - Don't care to list anything other than he scored 30 against a team from Evanston. 🤮

I watched Shutt play half a dozen times on the UAA circuit his senior year (he was on the same team as Braden Huff), and maybe I'm an idiot, but I was so impressed with his game. I think he'd fit in really well at NU, and maybe the struggles he had at Duke along with the knee surgery will bring him closer to home.

Another Dukie - Sean Stewart - 6'9 Forward - FR. Played 8 min a game, came in as the 247 composite #17 player in the country. Duke has now 7 players in the portal.

Xavier SO 6'6 guard - Desmond Claude - Averaged 16.6/4.2/3.2. Came in as #86 nationally.

Lots of strong, strong players getting in the portal late. Maybe seeing how the roster is shaping up where they are?

Just for fun, Wesley Cardet, Jr. - CHICAGO STATE - Don't care to list anything other than he scored 30 against a team from Evanston. 🤮
The whole reason I posted that previous update was because I saw Cardet from Chicago State - and then I forgot about him because those other 3 put stars in my eyes... like 4 stars each.

I agree with you that there are good players putting their names in late. My guess is that they hear what others guys are getting offered, then don't get much from their current school and decide they can cash in. I have no problem with it for the grad school guys.

Otherwise, its like everybody going west in 1848 because some fool found a gold nugget in California.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Big Matt either redshirting or leaving? That’s an awful lot of centers and they are all starting caliber IMO.

Update to the original post...
6 players were mentioned as "having heard from Northwestern" in that tweet from March 27.

Tony Perkins -> Missouri
Tarris Reed -> UConn
Gibson Jimmerson -> withdrew
Dante Maddox -> Xavier
Michael Nwoko -> Mississippi State
Justice Ajogbor ->

Ajogbor chose between Harvard and NU in 2019 and went to Harvard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT