ADVERTISEMENT

Refs

lunker35

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2010
We certainly lost but they were beyond awful. We’ve had bad officials all year but this was an abortion. UConn was able to get away with an insane number of fouls that go uncalled and we breathe heavy and it gets called. Disgusting.

We certainly lost but they were beyond awful. We’ve had bad officials all year but this was an abortion. UConn was able to get away with an insane number of fouls that go uncalled and we breathe heavy and it gets called. Disgusting.
I get why we’re not respected as a basketball program. The history is brutal.

I don’t get the lack of respect for Boo, especially when he was playing hurt. The refs sucked ass. F*ck them.

They were bad but the simple fact is NU did itself no favors by coming out and not being able to make anything on offense.

A close game ramps up the pressure on the refs to call things more closely both ways.

If it were tight their center WOULD have gotten T’d up for throwing a made follow-through layup sky high through the hoop. As one example.

Yes, I thought there were moments where the Cats were mauled. Unfortunately any absent calls would not have made the difference.

Clingan ripped apart our defense worse than Edey could ever do. Missing Big Matt definitely hurt but I'm not sure he would've been enough.

I have nothing but respect for this team and CCC. I hope if Matt and Ty come back (and maybe a good transfer). We can make another run. We just need better seeding and/or more luck to get past the second round.

Regarding the OP, I try not to rip on the refs, but it’s been a consistent theme that Boo got the snot beat out of him this year with few calls. Of course, one thing we should keep in mind is that this was a virtual home game for UCONN.

Reactions: FLCatEng
Regarding the OP, I try not to rip on the refs, but it’s been a consistent theme that Boo got the snot beat out of him this year with few calls. Of course, one thing we should keep in mind is that this was a virtual home game for UCONN.
This is disrespectful — NU’s turnout was substantial and the fans got into it FINALLY when the Cats made a bit of a late run.

Again, when the game is out of hand and it’s the No. 1 #1 seed the refs are going to be content to let things play out. NU had to keep it close and laid an egg in the first half while UConn had its way. Simple as that.

a couple years ago they tried to get the game to be a little less physical by banning hand checking and drawing that inner circle to help with charging blocking plays...but it just seems to be back to a very physical game that is almost impossible to call. They need to work it out again..

There were a few very, but very blatant missed calls. But the problem is how physical the refs allowed the game to be.

It’s fine to say “they’re letting it be a physical game” and take it as teams just have to adapt accordingly. But when one team is clearly stronger and faster in the backcourt they’re going to benefit from it. Because the slower team being physical will tend to come across as a step late and, therefore, fouling. And that’s what we saw tonight. UConn pushing people off their drives, off their cuts into pindowns, etc. All night long. It’s BS and it’s not fair, but that’s what letting them play is. Just another way of benefiting the faves.

You saw it different?

You saw it different?
No, I’m agreeing with you. And it isn’t being disrespectful (see above post). It’s an observation based on a number of games this year that Boo gets less respect than he deserves, especially when a home crowd advantage comes into play.

No, I’m agreeing with you. And it isn’t being disrespectful (see above post). It’s an observation based on a number of games this year that Boo gets less respect than he deserves, especially when a home crowd advantage comes into play.
After Hurley’s postgame interview, my wife who watches no basketball asked ‘where are the refs? I’d like to hear from them. What were they thinking?’

• Love
Reactions: drewjin
There were a few very, but very blatant missed calls. But the problem is how physical the refs allowed the game to be.

It’s fine to say “they’re letting it be a physical game” and take it as teams just have to adapt accordingly. But when one team is clearly stronger and faster in the backcourt they’re going to benefit from it. Because the slower team being physical will tend to come across as a step late and, therefore, fouling. And that’s what we saw tonight. UConn pushing people off their drives, off their cuts into pindowns, etc. All night long. It’s BS and it’s not fair, but that’s what letting them play is. Just another way of benefiting the faves.
My favorite no call was when the defender pushed Langborg into the the cheerleaders from behind when he was rebounding with no call. After that, the UCONN guards just decided they could do anything - exactly what good players should do.

"We weren't good enough"
Is something you don't hear now.
Always blame the refs
I wouldn’t confuse “the refs should give Boo more respect” with “if the refs had called the game differently, NU would have won.”

I don't get this. We had 17 fouls and they had 13. There is contact on every play. I am a casual bball fan but I don't get it. What did I miss? Did the Klingon foul on his 8 blocks? This was nothing like at Purdue to me

UConn would have won no matter how the refs called the game, but they were awful. There needs to be some consistency from game to game. It's frustrating to see soft inadvertent Flagrant 1s called in one game and no-calls on two-handed shoves in the back the next.

My favorite no call was when the defender pushed Langborg into the the cheerleaders from behind when he was rebounding with no call. After that, the UCONN guards just decided they could do anything - exactly what good players should do.
There was also a play where the UConn guard drives and blatantly pushed Langborg off. Ryan is not a theater major so he keeps on the play and a fraction later get called for an and 1 foul. This was not subtle Boo-like nudge, it was very evident pushing. Instead of an offensive, UConn got 3 points.

Ultimately this thread should just confirm the need to take off season bulking up seriously. This game demonstrated its importance.

If I am 150 pounds going up against a 180 pounder bulkier guy:

1) I drive to the basket and he nudges me with his forearm, getting me out of my driving lane. Boo suffered with this a ton, especially in the past
2) I am working off screens and when I am going by a screen I feel the defender's forearm on me, creating space for him to go by the screen. It makes screens that much less effective. This goes uncalled a lot more than on the ball situations. And most times we don't see it because we are not paying that close attention, it's on TV, it's subtle enough...
3) If I try to do the same I either don't move him because he is stronger or I have to push so much that it becomes a very clear push instead of a nudge. A forearm nudge easily looks like keeping distance, putting one's weight behind it does not

Yeah, I don't get the idea that if the refs had called the game properly, NU still would have lost. It's possible that is true, but given the number of fouls that should have been called on them in the first ten minutes, I believe it would have changed the face of the game.

Put four of their starters in the 2-3 fouls range in the first half and how they are coached to play will change dramatically.

Their big guy might have been less willing to arm bar Boo on a drive and push him away while he was shooting or elbow Hunger in the face more than once if he thought he was going to be called on it, and have it be his fourth or fifth foul or even a flagrant, just for example.

Cats were terrible shooting in the first half, but they had a decent amount of help from the contact on their shots that was ignored, and their turnovers were helped with shoves from the side or behind.

Sure, bulking up would help make being fouled less impactful - but so would the refs calling those fouls properly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT