ADVERTISEMENT

Portal update

Collins was quick to offer him a few years back, despite our odds being long. (Also offered the same day, iirc, was Gradey Dick.) I'd like to think our chances are a little better this time around.
I didn't know that NU offered Schutt. Hopefully they each impressed the other. At least we know he got past admissions the first time.

Malik Mack to Georgetown. I believe he has a Maryland tattoo on his shoulder, so it's not a total surprise he's ended up in the DMV. It's kinda wild that in 2024, resurrecting Georgetown feels like a more ambitious lift than bringing NU back for a third consecutive tourney appearance.

• Wow
Reactions: NUCat320
$$$ are the reason, I would bet.

Maybe, but Georgetown isn't a powerhouse program with the fans these days. They have been down a long time. My guess is he wanted to play close to home and liked the idea of being a much needed leader. He played at St John's in DC's WAC in high school. That's as DC as it gets.

Reactions: macarthur31
2023 was the year with the highest amount of players in the portal according to verbal commits. They listed 1,717 players

This year the number is, right now, at 1,703

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Saw this on the /CollegeBasketball subreddit - a commenter shared a website he made which pulls data to rank players in the portal across different stats and metrics. From my quick scan, the Jalens compare quite favorably. (However, if you're a redshirt frosh like Parker Strauss - you're not comparable as you don't have stats registered.).

Some new names in the portal...

TJ Power. Yet another Duke guy. 6'9" 220 lbs forward. Been at Duke for 1 season. Came in as the #17 player in his nationwide recruiting class. Played about 5 minutes a game.

Max Shulga. From Ukraine. 6'4" 200 lbs. Started at Utah State in fall of 2020. Transferred to VCU last season. 14.0 ppg, 3.6 assists. 40% from 3. Generally viewed as VCU's best player. Combo guard.

Chibuzo Agbo. Boise State. 6'7" 230 lbs. Two years at Texas Tech. Two years at Boise State. 40% from 3 on 5 attempts per game the last 2 seasons. 5 rebounds, 12.5 ppg.

Reactions: macarthur31

TJ Power. Yet another Duke guy. 6'9" 220 lbs forward. Been at Duke for 1 season. Came in as the #17 player in his nationwide recruiting class. Played about 5 minutes a game.

Max Shulga. From Ukraine. 6'4" 200 lbs. Started at Utah State in fall of 2020. Transferred to VCU last season. 14.0 ppg, 3.6 assists. 40% from 3. Generally viewed as VCU's best player. Combo guard.

Chibuzo Agbo. Boise State. 6'7" 230 lbs. Two years at Texas Tech. Two years at Boise State. 40% from 3 on 5 attempts per game the last 2 seasons. 5 rebounds, 12.5 ppg.
They all sound intriguing. I assume Power will reach out to the schools that originally recruited him but it can’t hurt to take a shot at a top 25 type player, especially a big.

Another Dukie - Sean Stewart - 6'9 Forward - FR. Played 8 min a game, came in as the 247 composite #17 player in the country. Duke has now 7 players in the portal.

Xavier SO 6'6 guard - Desmond Claude - Averaged 16.6/4.2/3.2. Came in as #86 nationally.

Lots of strong, strong players getting in the portal late. Maybe seeing how the roster is shaping up where they are?

Just for fun, Wesley Cardet, Jr. - CHICAGO STATE - Don't care to list anything other than he scored 30 against a team from Evanston. 🤮

I watched Shutt play half a dozen times on the UAA circuit his senior year (he was on the same team as Braden Huff), and maybe I'm an idiot, but I was so impressed with his game. I think he'd fit in really well at NU, and maybe the struggles he had at Duke along with the knee surgery will bring him closer to home.

Another Dukie - Sean Stewart - 6'9 Forward - FR. Played 8 min a game, came in as the 247 composite #17 player in the country. Duke has now 7 players in the portal.

Xavier SO 6'6 guard - Desmond Claude - Averaged 16.6/4.2/3.2. Came in as #86 nationally.

Lots of strong, strong players getting in the portal late. Maybe seeing how the roster is shaping up where they are?

Just for fun, Wesley Cardet, Jr. - CHICAGO STATE - Don't care to list anything other than he scored 30 against a team from Evanston. 🤮
The whole reason I posted that previous update was because I saw Cardet from Chicago State - and then I forgot about him because those other 3 put stars in my eyes... like 4 stars each.

I agree with you that there are good players putting their names in late. My guess is that they hear what others guys are getting offered, then don't get much from their current school and decide they can cash in. I have no problem with it for the grad school guys.

Otherwise, its like everybody going west in 1848 because some fool found a gold nugget in California.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Big Matt either redshirting or leaving? That’s an awful lot of centers and they are all starting caliber IMO.

Update to the original post...
6 players were mentioned as "having heard from Northwestern" in that tweet from March 27.

Tony Perkins -> Missouri
Tarris Reed -> UConn
Gibson Jimmerson -> withdrew
Dante Maddox -> Xavier
Michael Nwoko -> Mississippi State
Justice Ajogbor ->

Ajogbor chose between Harvard and NU in 2019 and went to Harvard.

Another person of interest just entered the transfer portal before the deadline.

Chisom Okpara - Harvard - 6'8" 225lbs. Power forward. 16.5 ppg / 5 rpg in 30 minutes.
He is finishing his sophomore year, so we can recruit him.
Out of high school he had offers from Minnesota, Seton Hall, Pitt, Penn State, Providence and others.

His former teammate (mentioned above) Justice Ajogbor, committed to Saint Joseph's yesterday as a grad transfer. Not sure why we weren't in the picture.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Another person of interest just entered the transfer portal before the deadline.

Chisom Okpara - Harvard - 6'8" 225lbs. Power forward. 16.5 ppg / 5 rpg in 30 minutes.
Out of high school he had offers from Minnesota, Seton Hall, Pitt, Penn State, Providence and others.

His former teammate (mentioned above) Justice Ajogbor, committed to Saint Joseph's yesterday as a grad transfer. Not sure why we weren't in the picture.
And he shoots the 3 decently. I would love some height at the wing positions

I distinctly recall you saying we need to take care of Blake Smith as a matter of culture

Reactions: NUCat320

We need a lead/point guard much more than we need forward depth.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
1) That’s the “theoretically” part.

2) There’s no proof that the Harvard kid could be “a consistent Big Ten contributor” either.
Four options gives you better odds than three. Not that we couldn't use another potential lead guard, but I think we're at a Best Player Available point to finish off the roster.

That’s what Martinelli (6-7), Barkley (6-7), Mullins (6-6), and Smith (6-6) are theoretically for.
With the information I have the only reliable player there is Martinelli. Would love if Barkley turned into the Murray brothers.

We lost two games last season where we were terribly abused by taller 4's. At Nebraska, with Josiah Allick, who is not even more than a decent player, and at Minnesota, where Garcia killed us despite Barnhizer fighting like hell.

And I'm not that interested in the argument if we need one or the other more. I have said many times that, to a great extent, and with some guardrails, you take the best you can get and make it work.

1) That’s the “theoretically” part.

2) There’s no proof that the Harvard kid could be “a consistent Big Ten contributor” either.
I would bet somebody's life that the Harvard kid (Okpara) is "better at basketball" than Keenan Fitzmorris.

My suspicion is that we weren't able to land a big guy like Harvard's grad transfer Justice Ajogbor because we couldn't promise him a lot of minutes, so he went to Saint Joseph's to be a starter. Hard to figure they'd out-NIL Northwestern.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I distinctly recall you saying we need to take care of Blake Smith as a matter of culture

If you can get me the keys to Ryan Fieldhouse and Welsh-Ryan arena, I will reward Blake Smith with a scholarship.

Otherwise, it looks like we still have an open spot. Okpara would be a HUGE add to the roster for the next two seasons.

Collins may have decided to pay Smith's tuition some other way. He deserves that, at least.

Reactions: ricko654321
We need a lead/point guard much more than we need forward depth.
Well we got a lead ball handling and offense instigating combo guard in the portal, which we will most likely have to be pleased with in the PG front. I highly doubt there is a lead PG available at this point, so we’d most likely be looking to reach for a backup as insurance against Clayton not continuing to develop. You can have your choice between that and wing help who provides length.

I would bet somebody's life that the Harvard kid (Okpara) is "better at basketball" than Keenan Fitzmorris.

My suspicion is that we weren't able to land a big guy like Harvard's grad transfer Justice Ajogbor because we couldn't promise him a lot of minutes, so he went to Saint Joseph's to be a starter. Hard to figure they'd out-NIL Northwestern.

While true, Fitzmorris at least brings the size that we need in the frontcourt. Also at least some low post offensive game, which we haven’t really seen in… a long time.

Well we got a lead ball handling and offense instigating combo guard in the portal, which we will most likely have to be pleased with in the PG front. I highly doubt there is a lead PG available at this point, so we’d most likely be looking to reach for a backup as insurance against Clayton not continuing to develop. You can have your choice between that and wing help who provides length.

You’re talking about Leach? I don’t think he’s really viewed as a “lead guard” in the mold of Boo, more as an off guard a la Langborg.

The Colgate kid seems interesting, though far from a sure thing. At least has more experience than many in initiating an offense, plus multiple years of eligibility:

You’re talking about Leach? I don’t think he’s really viewed as a “lead guard” in the mold of Boo, more as an off guard a la Langborg.

The Colgate kid seems interesting, though far from a sure thing. At least has more experience than many in initiating an offense, plus multiple years of eligibility:

Leach can ball handle and initiate/create shots for others off the dribble. You’re right, he’s not a pure PG, but with a guy like Brooks being a very good facilitator at the wing, they can live without a pure point as long as somebody else can handle the ball and initiate. I think Leach checks those boxes.

If they can get any player who can contribute 10+ minutes a night 1-4 at this point they should grab him regardless of position and figure out the rest later. I doubt that’s available.

Along the same type of profile, just hit the portal:

Ven-Allen Lubin - Vanderbilt - 6'8" - 230 lbs. Forward. 12.3 ppg/6.3 rbs in 28.2 minutes. Went from basically no 3 pt attempts as a freshman to 0.5/1.5 as a sophomore. Probably good potential for a decent year on year jump.

Sophomore, so recruitable. Looking for his 3rd school in 3 years after Notre Dame and Vandy.

Out of high school was #74 player nationally per 247 composite. Offers from Notre Dame, GA Tech, VA Tech, AL, Auburn, BC, Clemson, FL, GA, IA State, MS State, SC, St. John's. TX A&M, WV.

Good idea gocatsgo2003...

Braeden Smith. Colgate.
Patriot League Player of the Year.
Sophomore.
5.5 assists per game.
5.5 rebounds per game.
2 steals per game.
30 minute per game.
6'0" 180 lbs.
Offered for football by Air Force. out of high school.

Interesting to say the least.

Leach can ball handle and initiate/create shots for others off the dribble. You’re right, he’s not a pure PG, but with a guy like Brooks being a very good facilitator at the wing, they can live without a pure point as long as somebody else can handle the ball and initiate. I think Leach checks those boxes.

If they can get any player who can contribute 10+ minutes a night 1-4 at this point they should grab him regardless of position and figure out the rest later. I doubt that’s available.

Tons of talent looking for a new home. Could be 20 recruitable guys in the portal right now who could get approved by admissions and help NU.

Honestly thats why I am not so thrilled with Keenan Fitzmorris. I was hoping for better.

To me it suggests a few things.

Not too many big guys want to be a backup center. Especially a 3rd center.
NU NIL money is not competitive (I'm ok with that)
Chris Lowery thinks size is very important at the 5, even if the player is somewhat immobile and he thinks he can turn Fitzmorris into a capable defender.
Most importantly, Chris Collins doesn't seem certain that Luke Hunger can be a Big Ten center - if he did, he'd probably be looking at a 6'9" power forward instead of a 3rd center.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Don’t think Collin’s thinks that but rather Ftizsimmons is a positive but we really don’t kniw

We do know Collins is good coach and suspect we will see different offense as he works with players he has

Chris Ledlum - 6'6 guard - St. John's. 9.5/6.9 - Grad transfer

Previously played 3 years at Harvard. Averaged 18.8/8.5 before transferring to St. John's

• Wow
Reactions: NJCat
Chris Ledlum - 6'6 guard - St. John's. 9.5/6.9 - Grad transfer

Previously played 3 years at Harvard. Averaged 18.8/8.5 before transferring to St. John's
How the heck did this guy get another year and Langborg didn't?

ETA: He is suing the NCAA for another year, maybe Langborg should sue too.

Reactions: GatoLouco
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT