ADVERTISEMENT

Portal update

Is it dumb to imagine that Mark Mitchell of Duke might be interested in NU? Two-year starter, but in the portal as Duke brings in a heap of one-and-dones.

Pure coincidence: He went to Sunrise Christian. Would have been three years behind Ty Berry, so perhaps they played together when Mitchell was a freshman.

Based on numbers, more of a four than a three, but could certainly hold down the post in small lineups and Barnhizer is a more natural 3 than 4 anyway.

(Yes, it’s dumb, I realize.)
I had the exact thoughts when I saw his name in the portal... hmmm... maybe.... nah, that's wishful thinking.

Mason Gillis is in the portal, seems like a grad transfer. I'd love to see him replace Borg as a 3 point shooter, but he'll get paid elsewhere.....
Gillis is a good addition for a team's bench. But, IMO, not as a starter, replacement of Borg type. He's unidimensional, he's a decent to goog spot up 3 pt shooter. Even when he gets an offensive rebound here and there and does not know what to do to capitalize on it.

We’ve got reports that Boo got, what was it, $300-500 K with Chase getting offered a little less than that? That would imply we could offer all the seniors at least $250k, probably more.
I heard $500K for Boo also from a pretty decent source. At the time, I was pretty surprised that NU actually pulled out the wallet.

I also heard Chase was offered significantly less. Another surprise, but it also explained why he left so quickly and quietly.

I believe returning players made a little low-six-figure coin also.

I would love to be a fly on the wall for some of these discussions, and hear how they go. I assume it's a strategy that starts with recruiting before their freshman year. "We're not like other programs. We need you to be dedicated for four years. If you can;t do that, I'm sure there are better programs for you."

You know NU isn't doling out the cash that some schools are. Yet, Collins is doing a pretty good job retaining what he needs in the new NIL world.

Last edited:
I heard $500K for Boo also from a pretty decent source. At the time, I was pretty surprised that NU actually pulled out the wallet.

I also heard Chase was offered significantly less. Another surprise, but it also explained why he left so quickly and quietly.

Plenty enough money to spread around as needed to have a respectful package for our guys who were already looking to stay. And one would hope our ability to fundraise for men’s hoops increased this year as well. I don’t expect us to be throwing a million dollars at borderline NBA ready transfers, but an annual salary of a few million for the roster seems doable and is enough to do plenty of damage.

Plenty enough money to spread around as needed to have a respectful package for our guys who were already looking to stay. And one would hope our ability to fundraise for men’s hoops increased this year as well. I don’t expect us to be throwing a million dollars at borderline NBA ready transfers, but an annual salary of a few million for the roster seems doable and is enough to do plenty of damage.
I'll be interested to see how the cash flows with a .500 team that's 6-14 in the league. At some point, you know the faculty will start stomping their feet.

I would love to be a fly on the wall for some of these discussions, and hear how they go. I assume it's a strategy that starts with recruiting before their freshman year. "We're not like other programs. We need you to be dedicated for four years. If you can;t do that, I'm sure there are better programs for you."

You know NU isn't doling out the cash that some schools are. Yet, Collins is doing a pretty good job retaining what he needs in the new NIL world.
I heard $300K for both Boo and Audige

Just as a point of reference, a collective with a NIL budget of $2M+ would put you at the very, very top of the Big Ten and within the top ~5% nationally.

Sounds reasonable, but where do you get this information.
Admittedly it’s anecdotal. Nobody officially provides good sourced data on it, but I saw a lot of off the record numbers in an anonymously sourced article during the FF (I can’t seem to find it now). They mentioned that Purdue was middle of the big ten in NIL, with the top schools reportedly working in the $1.5-2M+ range. UConn reportedly had about $1.5M in their roster, and that’s lower than the other traditional blue bloods which can go in the $2.5M range. Very few schools claim to have $2M.

Additionally in the last week the reports were that Arkansas lured Cal in with a “record setting” promise of $4M of NIL, and Kentucky is trying to counter by providing their new coach with similar numbers.

Bronny James is in the portal.

6-2 shooting guard. Disappointed as a top 30 recruit in his first year at USC. Will enter the draft as well, but unlikely to stay in as his stock fell.

Good bloodlines. Even better than that Kirkpatrick guy.

Not in need of a big NIL bag.

Funny name.
LeBron would love it if Bronny played for a top 10 academic program for a year and eventually got his degree from there.

This is a good and realistic idea. Good thinking as usual @NUCat320 !

Just as a point of reference, a collective with a NIL budget of $2M+ would put you at the very, very top of the Big Ten and within the top ~5% nationally.
That’s pretty clearly untrue just based on the numbers of what top guys are making. It’s possible they’re talking collectives vs additional dollars. We need our total comp to be competitive. I don’t care if Boo’s money technically went through the collective or was just loosely organized by Schmidt and an agent

Reactions: gocatsgo2003
I posted this on the Jared Jones threads, but it means more over here...

Northwestern has rules that significantly restrict undergrad transfers.

The deadline for transfer applications is March 15*. Note that Northwestern only considers transfer applications for fall-quarter enrollment. (The March 15 "deadline" was extended to April 10 unofficially, possibly because of the basketball portal)

Incoming transfers must have completed a full year of credits at their current university.

Incoming transfers must be able to attend NU for 6 quarters (two years) and complete at least 21 units.
Undergrad programs at Northwestern require 42-50 units for graduation, depending on the program.

Less than 15% of transfers are accepted. Minimum of B average on their college transcript.

Most transfers are admitted for their sophomore year.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I posted this on the Jared Jones threads, but it means more over here...

Northwestern has rules that significantly restrict undergrad transfers.

The deadline for transfer applications is March 15*. Note that Northwestern only considers transfer applications for fall-quarter enrollment. (The March 15 "deadline" was extended to April 10 unofficially, possibly because of the basketball portal)

Incoming transfers must have completed a full year of credits at their current university.

Incoming transfers must be able to attend NU for 6 quarters (two years) and complete at least 21 units.
Undergrad programs at Northwestern require 42-50 units for graduation, depending on the program.

Less than 15% of transfers are accepted. Minimum of B average on their college transcript.

Most transfers are admitted for their sophomore year.
I know things change, but I got my admission letter, scholarship contract and welcome packet in the summer, I think around July.

I was already planning to go elsewhere when I received a phone call a day before the information arrived in the mail.

of course, I had submitted my application forms months before that

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
That’s pretty clearly untrue just based on the numbers of what top guys are making. It’s possible they’re talking collectives vs additional dollars. We need our total comp to be competitive. I don’t care if Boo’s money technically went through the collective or was just loosely organized by Schmidt and an agent
I think the numbers reported for individual players is often grossly exaggerated. Or there’s usually a large gap between what a player is publicly “seeking” vs what they actually get.

This cites $750k as the median among Power 5 programs. Kansas was top in the country at $4M. I don’t know what the rest of the Power 5 schools look like, but if the median is $750k, I dont think what I said is very inaccurate.

This cites $750k as the median among Power 5 programs. Kansas was top in the country at $4M. I don’t know what the rest of the Power 5 schools look like, but if the median is $750k, I dont think what I said is very inaccurate.

Again, maybe for dollars just in the collective, but that clearly then excludes major side deals used as inducements but not through the collective.

Again, maybe for dollars just in the collective, but that clearly then excludes major side deals used as inducements but not through the collective.
The article says NIL payroll, not necessarily from a collective.

Regardless, in the current market, if $2M was available it would put NW at a significant advantage in the conference.

Gillis is a good addition for a team's bench. But, IMO, not as a starter, replacement of Borg type. He's unidimensional, he's a decent to goog spot up 3 pt shooter. Even when he gets an offensive rebound here and there and does not know what to do to capitalize on inside.
Wow!! Tough crowd tonight here on Gillis. “…unidimensional, Decent to good spot up 3 pt shooter”…REALLY?!?! “Decent to good?” He just shot 47% for the season and 41% for his career!!! And pulled down plenty of offensive boards knowing to get the ball to Edey inside and Loyer, Smith or Jones outside for 2nd chance points. Was 6th man of the year on the national runners up this season, but a starter much of last year. I’m sure Collins would take him and start him at NU in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Reactions: mountaindrew
Wow!! Tough crowd tonight here on Gillis…“…unidimensional, Decent to good spot up 3 pt shooter”…really?!?! He just shot 47% for the season and 41% for his career!!! And pulled down plenty of offensive boards knowing to get the ball to Edey inside and Loyer, Smith or Jones outside for 3. Was 6th man of the year on the national runners up this season, but a starter much of last year. I’m sure Collins would take him at NU and start him in a heartbeat.
Yep. Sticking to what I said. He could not get up 1/3 of the shots Langborg did. Mediocre coming off screens, mediocre shooting off the dribble. It matters where you play. Great for Indiana with Reneau and Wade for example. Not that he would go there. Just to illustrate the point.

Wow!! Tough crowd tonight here on Gillis. “…unidimensional, Decent to good spot up 3 pt shooter”…REALLY?!?! “Decent to good?” He just shot 47% for the season and 41% for his career!!! And pulled down plenty of offensive boards knowing to get the ball to Edey inside and Loyer, Smith or Jones outside for 2nd chance points. Was 6th man of the year on the national runners up this season, but a starter much of last year. I’m sure Collins would take him and start him at NU in a heartbeat.
He’s a very good shooter on open 3’s but he’s pretty one dimensional offensively. He’d be fantastic coming off the bench and we could certainly do worse, but I hope we can find somebody more similar to Langborg.

Jaylen Blakes, a Duke Point Guard, has entered the portal...
He started college in the fall of 2021, which suggests he is finishing his junior season... and NU won't allow him to transfer in.

But wait, he's actually graduating in May, so he is going to be a grad transfer!
NU can recruit him!

Coach K signed Blakes out of high school... but he never much got beyond a 10 minute role with the Blue Devils.

It raises the question - who would you rather have... a first-teamer from the MEAC or MAAC or SunBelt OR a 4 star that never got a lot of minutes at a blueblood Power 6 school?

He started college in the fall of 2021, which suggests he is finishing his junior season... and NU won't allow him to transfer in.

But wait, he's actually graduating in May, so he is going to be a grad transfer!
NU can recruit him!

Coach K signed Blakes out of high school... but he never much got beyond a 10 minute role with the Blue Devils.

It raises the question - who would you rather have... a first-teamer from the MEAC or MAAC or SunBelt OR a 4 star that never got a lot of minutes at a blueblood Power 6 school?
It would just be nice to get any good player as time is marching on. Illinois already has two transfers for example.

Reactions: IGNORE2
It would just be nice to get any good player as time is marching on. Illinois already has two transfers for example.
Well, its tax day... Maybe these guys need to talk to their accountants and get their returns filed before they can accept their new jobs?

Give it a few days...

Meanwhile Sencire Harris just decided to leave Illinois and DJ Wagner (top 10 recruit) is leaving Kentucky.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat

NU can recruit him!

Pass on Blakes. Shooting numbers are terrible and never cracked the rotation. He was signed as a backup and stayed there.

Michael “couldn’t get off the bench at Duke” Thompson and Bernard “kept the seat warm at Kentucky” Cote are similar examples from ancient history.

(Cote came up on this board at sometime recently, and it was really exciting to think about him in the way it’s exciting to remember, like, surgery recovery.)

The post is around here somewhere, but last year we got our first transfer commitment a few days from now and the rest sometime shortly after April 20. That timeline seems to line up this year with a key potential transfer in town right now. The time to expect and hope for some good news is over the next two weeks or so.

The post is around here somewhere, but last year we got our first transfer commitment a few days from now and the rest sometime shortly after April 20. That timeline seems to line up this year with a key potential transfer in town right now. The time to expect and hope for some good news is over the next two weeks or so.
And, for what it's worth, the NCAA tourney ended about as late this year as it ever has. Last year it was 4/3, which is later than usual I'd say, and this year was 4/8.

I just saw the other post where Gato analyzed each team's loss and gain in the portal and quite a few other schools don't have any added players yet so we're not unique

And yet another Dookie hits the portal.
Jaden Schutt, from Yorkville, IL, 6'5" redshirt sophomore.
Yorkville is outside of Aurora and Naperville.
Was a Top 100 recruit two seasons ago.

Would seem eligible to pass NU's transfer restrictions..

Three years of eligibility because of the redshirt.

Duke has a 6 player class coming in. Everybody else is scattering.

Call this guy.

Call this guy.
Collins has a good relationship with Scheyer so he should be able to get a very honest evaluation. If Scheyer thinks he can be a high level contributor, I would definitely reach out. We have to be more attractive than DePaul.

Collins has a good relationship with Scheyer so he should be able to get a very honest evaluation. If Scheyer thinks he can be a high level contributor, I would definitely reach out. We have to be more attractive than DePaul.

"We have to be more attractive than DePaul."

If NU is not more attractive than DePaul - then I am out. There is not a less attractive school in a top conference than DePaul. Current streak - lost 20. Current coach (and this is their selling point) - lost prior team completely.

I am not saying that DePaul will not turn it around, because I think there is a path for the team and coach to be competitive in a few years. Of course, maybe I am underestimating that value of the pitch - ok, we lost to NU when they were playing their worst ball of the year but dammit, we beat Chicago State!

Reactions: 4IUSox2

Call this guy.
Collins was quick to offer him a few years back, despite our odds being long. (Also offered the same day, iirc, was Gradey Dick.) I'd like to think our chances are a little better this time around.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT