ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Visit: Stony Brook C - Keenan Fitzmorris

This guy is a step above the purely depth big transfers of the past two years. Very interesting. Strong scoop! Would love to land him.
His defensive rebounding numbers are concerning. He averaged 2.3 defensive rebounds in 25 minutes. I assume he was often the biggest guy on the court. But he hit 75 percent of his free throws so that would be a refreshing change.

His defensive rebounding numbers are concerning. He averaged 2.3 defensive rebounds in 25 minutes. I assume he was often the biggest guy on the court. But he hit 75 percent of his free throws so that would be a refreshing change.
I agree under 5 boards in that game is a concern. But he can actually be a slight inside-outside guy as he took a few threes at a respectable rate. MN would still be our key starter, but he looks like he’d bring another level on the offensive end off the bench. Also collects a good number of blocks so I’m assuming he’s still a respectable overall defensive presence.

Checked him out on kenpom. Stony Brook (kp 168) in the Coastal Athletic Association (kp 19th rated conf out of 33). Started out at Stanford for two years, but did not get off the bench (avg'd 1.3 %Min), then transfers to play for the Seawolves where he played avg of 62.7 %Min, and around 22.5% Usage rate. he improved in OReb% and Blk Rate from junior to senior year, as well as Fouls Drawn/40 (4.0 to 4.6), for an impressive FT Rate of 49.4 where he'd cash in 76.7% of the time (99-129). The 3pter was rare, but enough to make ya think - 43.6% (9-26). I dig that despite a meaty usage rate, his TO Rate was only 14.8, which puts him in line with other 'Cats.

Given the Ty Berry connection, that perhaps gives him a connection to the squad (and possibly a guy who could vouch for him). He also seems to occupy that sweet spot where he's savvy enough to realize what he does well, and would blossom in bench minutes against 2nd teamers vs. looking to log the majority of minutes and touches. He'd add a great dimension to the Nicholson-Hunger tandem in that he's got length to defend, and can also operate out of the elbow where he could back down his opponent, or pop and take a mid-range.

Yeah, he's a great get for this team.

NU hosted 7ft Keenan this weekend. Played AAU with same program as Ty, then played at Stanford before transferring to Stony Brook. Hope we land him.

Fits the profile of "who we should target" very nicely.

Grad transfer. Not thinking NBA (I assume). Understands and is attracted by the prestige of Northwestern academically. Picked Stanford out of high school. Redshirted to build strength, but then sat bench for two seasons before either being coaxed out the door or deciding he wanted to play and transferring to Stony Brook (if so, I'd question that decision).

Fun fact... He and Ty Berry were teammates on the Topeka Capital-Journal's Class 5A 3rd team in 2017.

Fits the profile of "who we should target" very nicely.

Grad transfer. Not thinking NBA (I assume). Understands and is attracted by the prestige of Northwestern academically. Picked Stanford out of high school. Redshirted to build strength, but then sat bench for two seasons before either being coaxed out the door or deciding he wanted to play and transferring to Stony Brook (if so, I'd question that decision).

Fun fact... He and Ty Berry were teammates on the Topeka Capital-Journal's Class 5A 3rd team in 2017.
He graduated from Stanford in three years before transferring to Stony Brook. So this would be his second year as a grad transfer.

Looks like he played his final year of high school in that same conference that produced Gaines and Falzon and Hunger and others. He played at New Hampton Prep (NH).

Not a world changer but certainly a step up from Preston and TVH, if he commits.

NU *seems* to be the best program of those on his list. With stops in Kansas, California, New Hampshire, he’d seem to be location-agnostic.

Let’s get him.

Last edited:
He graduated from Stanford in three years before transferring to Stony Brook. So this would be his second year as a grad transfer.

Wow, thanks for making me look again.
He did graduate from Stanford with a Psychology degree, in 4 years.
He redshirted the 2018-19 season.
Sat the bench in the 2019-20 season
Sat the bench in the 2020-21 season.
Injured in the 2021-22 pre-season, didn't play.
Graduated from Stanford!
Then transferred to Stony Brook, where he has been a grad student for two more seasons.
Still eligible! (Two years older than Ty Berry)

This guy wants an NU offer so badly he can taste it!

Checked him out on kenpom. Stony Brook (kp 168) in the Coastal Athletic Association (kp 19th rated conf out of 33). Started out at Stanford for two years, but did not get off the bench (avg'd 1.3 %Min), then transfers to play for the Seawolves where he played avg of 62.7 %Min, and around 22.5% Usage rate. he improved in OReb% and Blk Rate from junior to senior year, as well as Fouls Drawn/40 (4.0 to 4.6), for an impressive FT Rate of 49.4 where he'd cash in 76.7% of the time (99-129). The 3pter was rare, but enough to make ya think - 43.6% (9-26). I dig that despite a meaty usage rate, his TO Rate was only 14.8, which puts him in line with other 'Cats.

Given the Ty Berry connection, that perhaps gives him a connection to the squad (and possibly a guy who could vouch for him). He also seems to occupy that sweet spot where he's savvy enough to realize what he does well, and would blossom in bench minutes against 2nd teamers vs. looking to log the majority of minutes and touches. He'd add a great dimension to the Nicholson-Hunger tandem in that he's got length to defend, and can also operate out of the elbow where he could back down his opponent, or pop and take a mid-range.

Yeah, he's a great get for this team.
Imagine a guy who can come in off the bench at the 5 in relief of Nicholson the low block banger and be a legitimate scoring spark from multiple levels. Imagine the little added difficulty this gives defenders guarding the pick and roll and the dribble handoff if the center is a legitimate threat to toss up a respectable 3 look from time to time if you totally ignore him.

What a weapon that would have been with Boo, but Leach and the shooters will love it.

Was a "three-time Pac-12 Winter Academic Honor Roll honoree" at Stanford so won't have any issues with admissions. I think it helps the coaches when you add another adult to the locker room. Hoping this guys lands in Evanston.

Was a "three-time Pac-12 Winter Academic Honor Roll honoree" at Stanford so won't have any issues with admissions. I think it helps the coaches when you add another adult to the locker room. Hoping this guys lands in Evanston.
Especially another adult that a current senior player on the roster knows and has no problem with.

Imagine a guy who can come in off the bench at the 5 in relief of Nicholson the low block banger and be a legitimate scoring spark from multiple levels. Imagine the little added difficulty this gives defenders guarding the pick and roll and the dribble handoff if the center is a legitimate threat to toss up a respectable 3 look from time to time if you totally ignore him.

What a weapon that would have been with Boo, but Leach and the shooters will love it.

Honestly, I think the guy you're imagining is Luke Hunger.

A player like Keenan Fitzmorris has got to be lacking quickness and/or strength to have played so little at Stanford in 3 healthy years with the team. Maybe the strength problem was addressed.

He started almost every game at Stony Brook his first season there, but only started 11 of 35 games last year. Basically the same minutes (25) each season.

Blake Preston was sort of the same way, losing his starters role as a senior, but Liberty is much better than Stony Brook.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
7' and 250 per his stonybrook page. If he's Blake Preston, but three inches taller and ten pounds heavier, that isn't the worst option for a Matt backup to go along with Hunger.

The important question, posed above, is can he defend?

7' and 250 per his stonybrook page. If he's Blake Preston, but three inches taller and ten pounds heavier, that isn't the worst option for a Matt backup to go along with Hunger.

I suspect he’s going to be another big body coming off the bench who will hopefully have a few good games. Unless we are able to pay more, I think that is all we can get. Hopefully Hunger makes a big leap this year. And we need to recruit a big in this next class.

Guessing taller and slower than Preston. I agree that he isn't the worst option.
Preston played against somewhat better competition, however.

I'm gonna guess he can't defend Big Ten guys away from the basket, due to limited quickness.

But a big guy for Nicholson to practice against is helpful too. And, as we have seen, you need depth.

I'm not sure about his defense but he appears to have more offense capability than Preston or Verhoeven. Fitzmorris averaged 9.8 and 10.9 ppg his two years at Stony Brook (which admittedly is in a low major conference) while Preston averaged 6.0 and 6.7 ppg his last two years at Liberty and Verhoeven averaged 4.9 and 6.6 ppg in his last two years at UTEP. Interestingly Fitzmorris also showed some ability to hit the 3 (though at a low percentage) as he made about 10 3s in both years at Stony Brook. All in all, he looks like a solid backup who can contribute a useful 10-15 mpg.

Wow, thanks for making me look again.
He did graduate from Stanford with a Psychology degree, in 4 years.
He redshirted the 2018-19 season.
Sat the bench in the 2019-20 season
Sat the bench in the 2020-21 season.
Injured in the 2021-22 pre-season, didn't play.
Graduated from Stanford!
Then transferred to Stony Brook, where he has been a grad student for two more seasons.
Still eligible! (Two years older than Ty Berry)

This guy wants an NU offer so badly he can taste it!

Wonder if he could get a medical year for 21/22.

I'm not sure about his defense but he appears to have more offense capability than Preston or Verhoeven. Fitzmorris averaged 9.8 and 10.9 ppg his two years at Stony Brook (which admittedly is in a low major conference) while Preston averaged 6.0 and 6.7 ppg his last two years at Liberty and Verhoeven averaged 4.9 and 6.6 ppg in his last two years at UTEP. Interestingly Fitzmorris also showed some ability to hit the 3 (though at a low percentage) as he made about 10 3s in both years at Stony Brook. All in all, he looks like a solid backup who can contribute a useful 10-15 mpg.
I only saw this guy play once, in their league tourney final against College of Charleston. He had a good game but did not look very athletic. I’m not sure how much he moves the needle.

I only saw this guy play once, in their league tourney final against College of Charleston. He had a good game but did not look very athletic. I’m not sure how much he moves the needle.
He moves the needle in as far as he has 5 fouls to give, can spell Matt and Luke and can perhaps score some points. If it is between have 2 or 3 C's I'd prefer 3.

Slow and unable to guard away from the rim seems like a reasonable expectation.

I'm hoping for 'alters inside shots' and 'gets rebounds/boxes out'.
I'd be thrilled to get 'doesn't commit dumb fouls' and 'scores 4-6 points/game as a sub' to go along with those.

But I don't know what the conference will look like next fall. How many 7' bangers will we see? I assume Painter has another 7'6" guy waiting to step up, but what's everyone else bringing?

Reactions: drewjin
Slow and unable to guard away from the rim seems like a reasonable expectation.

I'm hoping for 'alters inside shots' and 'gets rebounds/boxes out'.
I'd be thrilled to get 'doesn't commit dumb fouls' and 'scores 4-6 points/game as a sub' to go along with those.

But I don't know what the conference will look like next fall. How many 7' bangers will we see? I assume Painter has another 7'6" guy waiting to step up, but what's everyone else bringing?
Painter has two 7'3 guys on his roster for next year.

You always need 7 footers or bigs in the Big Ten and that’s not changing anytime soon. Just check out the players coming in via the transfer portal, see Michigan and Indiana.

He moves the needle in as far as he has 5 fouls to give, can spell Matt and Luke and can perhaps score some points. If it is between have 2 or 3 C's I'd prefer 3.
And can shoot free throws/be an offensive option.

Reactions: No Chores
Louisville has terrific athletic facilities but the balance of the school is urban and gritty. I am sure the people are nice but not my idea of a scenic place to spend my last year in school.

Louisville has terrific athletic facilities but the balance of the school is urban and gritty. I am sure the people are nice but not my idea of a scenic place to spend my last year in school.
Girls are definitely more scenic than NU’s though.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Louisville must be handing out some serious bags of cash because they were poopoo last year. Chucky Hepburn? Wow

Louisville must be handing out some serious bags of cash because they were poopoo last year. Chucky Hepburn? Wow
What is really interesting about NIL to me with a guy like Hepburn is that its clear he really doesn't care about winning and doesn't believe he has a future in the NBA.

If you care that much about $$$ and believe in yourself - then go into the draft. Ayo Dosunmu made $2.2 on his first contract as a second rounder. His current deal is 3 years for $21 million. His next contract will probably be in the 4-5 years for $60-80 million range. Meaning $80- $100 million by the time he's thirty.

But yeah, you go Chucky.

What is really interesting about NIL to me with a guy like Hepburn is that its clear he really doesn't care about winning and doesn't believe he has a future in the NBA.

If you care that much about $$$ and believe in yourself - then go into the draft. Ayo Dosunmu made $2.2 on his first contract as a second rounder. His current deal is 3 years for $21 million. His next contract will probably be in the 4-5 years for $60-80 million range. Meaning $80- $100 million by the time he's thirty.

But yeah, you go Chucky.
I think he is making the rational decision. He is probably not NBA material but can be a very good college player. Get paid while you can.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT