ADVERTISEMENT

Post-game press confernce notes

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
PSU coach Pat Chambers

Gaines and Pardon made big plays down the stretch. We took too many jump shots. I thought we played a great 35 minutes. We were right there, in the game. I thought we got the stops, but we didn't get the rebounds. You can't relay on Michael Watkins to get all the rebounds.

NU head coach Chris Collins

We played the last 10 minutes of the game as well as we've played all year. They didn't score a field goal in that time. Gavin's tip to Law for the 3 was a huge play. Gaines' defense and energy was big for NU. Anthony's D on Stevens was really good.

Defense down stretch: Our zone was effective. Two weeks ago, we played man-to-man and they scored 48 points in the paint. The zone flipped the script. Defense was able to keep them in check a little bit.

What did you learn in first game: I learned not to play man-to-man. They didn't have Josh Reaves. But they still have a lot of talent out there. Proud of our resolve to play well down the stretch.

Falzon: Had back spasms against OSU. Practiced this week. Gave him PT, but liked what small lineup gave them - Vic, Scottie and Gaines.

Carrying over emotion: I love these guy and what they've done for me and our program. I want them in these last 10 games without looking back. Whatever happened, happened. We still have half the league left. I'm always an optimist, always a believer. We had a 2-5 stretch last year. Have to take it one game at a time.

Got beat badly dribble-penetration the first time. They got by our guys at will. Didn't play with fight the first go-around. We were anxious to play them. We wanted to see if we could beat a team like this.

Allstate energy: It was good. Lot of kids out there today. I'm old school. College basketball was played on Saturday afternoon. I get an extra pep in our step. I felt our home crowd. I have this season. The home court is not the problem. Allstate has done everything they could for us.

BMac

Embarrassed the first time: They're a tough team. Big guys, physical. They tried to impose their will. Tried their best limiting layups. Did a poor job on Garner early. We were all very disappointed, embarrassed the first time. It was embarrassing seeing them today - a reminder that we didn't play well.

No FGs in last 10 minutes: We did a better job of staying attached to Garner. Bigs did an excellent job protecting our basket.

We just want to build a winning culture and continue it. We didn't do a good job early in the season.

Runs at end of halves: Collins did a good job keeping plays in his pocket. Dunks by Dererk really energized us - they're more than just two points. Created shots for others with the drive-and-kick game.

Gaines: He's just growing up right in front of our eyes. I'm proud of him. He's going to be a great defensive stopper and his offensive game is coming around. He's got a very high ceiling. I'm excited to see where he ends up.

Vic Law

Before the game, coaches questioned our energy. We needed to pick it up. We got blown out last time and we didn't want it to be the same.

Measuring stick: We played well these last two games. This was another close game.

Law's 3: I wasn't in the play at all, I didn't do any of the work. Gavin played really well, especially with Aaron out.

Gaines' development: I've taken Anthony under my wing as a freshman wing.

We didn't play soft anymore. Watkins wasn't able to dunk the ball and Stevens didn't score 30. Last time, it was layups or dunks and free throws. This time, we played tougher.

What about the part when he talks about having missed Brown's contributions but picked it up on film and plans to play him 20+ going forward.

Then the accolades to Brown for putting the team on his shoulders, leading in scoring, defensive effort and all round play.

And I could be wrong, but didn't he call out some thanks to a WR poster for bringing this all to his attention?

What about the part when he talks about having missed Brown's contributions but picked it up on film and plans to play him 20+ going forward.

Then the accolades to Brown for putting the team on his shoulders, leading in scoring, defensive effort and all round play.

And I could be wrong, but didn't he call out some thanks to a WR poster for bringing this all to his attention?

No

Huh?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT