ADVERTISEMENT

Predict our 2022 final record

What will our regular season record be in 2022?

• 0-10, 1-11, or 2-10

• 3-9

• 4-8

• 5-7

• 6-6

• 7-5

• 8-4

• 9-3

• 10-2

• 11-1 or 12-0

Results are only viewable after voting.

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
Now that we’re pretty much done with transfers, what do you think our 2022 regular season record will be?

Nebraska (Dublin)
Duke
Southern Illinois
Miami of Ohio
@Penn State
Wisconsin
(bye)
@Maryland
@Iowa
Ohio State
@Minnesota
@Purdue
Illinois

Based on what we witnessed last year, I see only one game that I would confidently predict as a win. Therefore I'm staying out of this until after Nebraska. It is too early to tell, with so many unknowns.

Reactions: Ryanfield124
Based on what we witnessed last year, I see only one game that I would confidently predict as a win. Therefore I'm staying out of this until after Nebraska. It is too early to tell, with so many unknowns.
The Cats are better when they have low outside expectations. Catch their prey with some stalking. Very rarely does Fitz and co. have 2 stinker years in a row. That is why I picked just good enuf to get to a bowl. Motown to play a Mac team like niu that we win.

The Cats are better when they have low outside expectations. Catch their prey with some stalking. Very rarely does Fitz and co. have 2 stinker years in a row. That is why I picked just good enuf to get to a bowl. Motown to play a Mac team like niu that we win.
I’d normally pick that 7-5 threshold. We’re better off if we always stick in the 7-8 win territory we seem to live around. When we’re up, we should temper ourselves to 7-8 wins. When we’re down, we should temper ourselves to 7-8 wins. History has proven this.

But the schedule is really rough next year, so I bumped it down to 6.

I put 4-8 until there is proof that Fitz and JON have removed their heads from their asses. I truly believe we could lose every game. Both of our non p5 opponents are better and we could easily O-fer in the B1G. Probably won't, but I wouldn't be surprised. Portal has been a slight net positive but we have no kicker (presumably) or punter, arguably the worst QB in the league...and JON

I agree that it’s almost impossible to predict at this point. Based on what we witnessed in 2019, who would have predicted a Western division title in 2020?

I go on the rock for premium basketball board 😉
Just like me -and any other Wildcat fan who wants all of their premium basketball information neatly organized.

So far 5-7 seems to be the settling point for the poll. Hopefully we can beat that.

Just like me -and any other Wildcat fan who wants all of their premium basketball information neatly organized.

So far 5-7 seems to be the settling point for the poll. Hopefully we can beat that.
Yeesh, 5 seems way out of the realm of possibility. (I optimistically voted 3.)

Not sure I see where five wins come from
Our non conference schedule is weak. Duke is by far the hardest challenge, but perhaps their new coach won’t be the offensive coach that Curcliffe.

If we go 3-0 OOC, 2-3 conference wins should be doable if we turn things around.

It looks like our typical WR fan predicts a 4-8 or 5-7 record. Pretty fair prediction. I’m hoping we can get to 6-6 and a bowl game.

Which two B1G teams are we most likely to beat? Maryland and Illinois? Or Iowa and Purdue?

It looks like our typical WR fan predicts a 4-8 or 5-7 record. Pretty fair prediction. I’m hoping we can get to 6-6 and a bowl game.

Which two B1G teams are we most likely to beat? Maryland and Illinois? Or Iowa and Purdue?
No confidence to predict any particular win. We could seriously go 0-12. I don't think we will, we have too many good athletes, and are too deep at RB to lose every game. But - JON...

• Haha
Defense will be our Achilles Heal again this year. Book it. Offensively, I believe we will be at least okay, I agree with Phat, too many good athletes, although could get dragged down by the defense. If you have to base it on last year, we win one game. If Fitz has stabilized the decline and begun to improive, they could win 5, maybe 6 games.

Four of last six on the road.

Super!
we have no home field advantage anyway. Can anyone say what our B1G home v road record is in Fitz era?

I like to say that it's because our team likes playing in quiet stadiums - either ours, with few people, or opponents, but us winning.

Reactions: Rebel II
W/L with post-game quotes...
Nebraska (Dublin) Big L Fitz-"it was a long trip with a new bunch of guys and we need to tweak things. Go Cats"
Duke L Fitz- "Still got cobwebs from Dublin and those guys came out ready. Hats off to Duke. Go cats".
Southern Illinois W? "Back on track but too many mistakes at QB and defensive lapses. Get ready for the Redhawks"
Miami of Ohio L (always lose to a random MAC School) Fitz finally on the hotseat "Too many mental mistakes, turnovers, can't trust the kicking game."
@Penn State Big L Fitz-"Those guys came out hungry. We grew up a lot today. Its BiG football."
Wisconsin Big L Fitz-"We need guys to trust the process. They out physicalled us. Got guys dinged up. need guys back."
(bye)

@Maryland L (this is a team on the rise) (Open speculation Fitz is out after Iowa)
"We're beat up and they executed against us. They have more maturity at the QB position"

@Iowa L Close loss Fitz still on hot seat. "Got some young guys out there who need to grow up and understand this is a rivalry game."

Ohio State MASSIVE L Fitz- "We didn't execute, play physical enough, plus our fans didn't come out for this 1-7 team"

@Minnesota W/L (deflated after OSU loss) Fitz talks about making a statement against a flat Gopher team
@Purdue L Fitz hypes incoming freshmen and needing to make changes offensively " Just really beat up from last week. We will get it turned around."
Illinois L Fitz-"Its a rivalry game and we didn't come out. All bets are off and these guys wanted it more...We will be better next year.."

• Wow
Reactions: NUCat320
W/L with post-game quotes...
Nebraska (Dublin) Big L Fitz-"it was a long trip with a new bunch of guys and we need to tweak things. Go Cats"
Duke L Fitz- "Still got cobwebs from Dublin and those guys came out ready. Hats off to Duke. Go cats".
Southern Illinois W? "Back on track but too many mistakes at QB and defensive lapses. Get ready for the Redhawks"
Miami of Ohio L (always lose to a random MAC School) Fitz finally on the hotseat "Too many mental mistakes, turnovers, can't trust the kicking game."
@Penn State Big L Fitz-"Those guys came out hungry. We grew up a lot today. Its BiG football."
Wisconsin Big L Fitz-"We need guys to trust the process. They out physicalled us. Got guys dinged up. need guys back."
(bye)

@Maryland L (this is a team on the rise) (Open speculation Fitz is out after Iowa)
"We're beat up and they executed against us. They have more maturity at the QB position"

@Iowa L Close loss Fitz still on hot seat. "Got some young guys out there who need to grow up and understand this is a rivalry game."

Ohio State MASSIVE L Fitz- "We didn't execute, play physical enough, plus our fans didn't come out for this 1-7 team"

@Minnesota W/L (deflated after OSU loss) Fitz talks about making a statement against a flat Gopher team
@Purdue L Fitz hypes incoming freshmen and needing to make changes offensively " Just really beat up from last week. We will get it turned around."
Illinois L Fitz-"Its a rivalry game and we didn't come out. All bets are off and these guys wanted it more...We will be better next year.."
This is entertaining, well written. The pure fiction about Fitz being on the hot seat is laughable, though. He'll be the coach even after I'm dead.

I did like the INU paraphrase of Gragg saying he expects the programs to be in the top 1/3 of the conference, and if not, the coach has to have a recovery plan. Presumably, "or else"

I also feel like the NIL/Portal will relegate us, and others, to minor league status. I have no illusions that our boosters can put together a coherent NIL plan to attract/retain talent. It's a brave new world, folks. Most programs, boosters, recruits and parents don't give a sh1te about academics anyway, and now we have legally sanctioned payments to further detract from our ability to get/keep players. I remain in favor of player compensation; however, this entirely unregulated system will just be "rich get richer"

This is entertaining, well written. The pure fiction about Fitz being on the hot seat is laughable, though. He'll be the coach even after I'm dead.

I did like the INU paraphrase of Gragg saying he expects the programs to be in the top 1/3 of the conference, and if not, the coach has to have a recovery plan. Presumably, "or else"

I also feel like the NIL/Portal will relegate us, and others, to minor league status. I have no illusions that our boosters can put together a coherent NIL plan to attract/retain talent. It's a brave new world, folks. Most programs, boosters, recruits and parents don't give a sh1te about academics anyway, and now we have legally sanctioned payments to further detract from our ability to get/keep players. I remain in favor of player compensation; however, this entirely unregulated system will just be "rich get richer"
It's finally time to join the Ivy League.

• Haha
I hope not, but I don't feel good about the direction of Portal/NIL for us and others of our ilk. We've always been sort of a novelty/curiosity in our conference/P5 even before the payouts started. Now what?

I hope not, but I don't feel good about the direction of Portal/NIL for us and others of our ilk. We've always been sort of a novelty/curiosity in our conference/P5 even before the payouts started. Now what?
A super Ivy league? We already play Duke every season. How about these four for starters.

NU
Stanford
Duke
Vanderbilt

Rice, Wake, Service Academies, GA Tech(?)
F no to the Service Academies. The triple option is a pain to play against and wrecks knees.

I like the other three choices. Boston College? Baylor? Who else?

F no to the Service Academies. The triple option is a pain to play against and wrecks knees.

I like the other three choices. Boston College? Baylor? Who else?
Baylor, to me, is a criminal program. There is no statute of Limitations on rape

A super Ivy league? We already play Duke every season. How about these four for starters.

NU
Stanford
Duke
Vanderbilt
I believe those four should be invited to join the Ivy League (easy for me to say), then divide the conference in two divisions. Think of the joy of NU beating Harvard in something. NU would need to start a hockey program only to be creamed by Harvard and Cornell. It now appears that NU will have no chance, ever, at a national championship in football or basketball, much less a B1G championship. If it hasn't happened by now, given the recent changes in college sports, it ain't gonna. Why not play in a league that is fun more of the time than not, and against peers, not sem-pro teams. It's a new day, although the Ivies realized that 70 years ago when they determined not to be the minor leagues for professional sports.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Did Gary Barnett, in the final analysis, accomplish basically nothing? I know we can't be competitive playing win-with-defense deadly-dull-offense Fitzball with a bad defense. Either get a DC who's a star, or open up the offense, or both.

I believe those four should be invited to join the Ivy League (easy for me to say), then divide the conference in two divisions. Think of the joy of NU beating Harvard in something. NU would need to start a hockey program only to be creamed by Harvard and Cornell. It now appears that NU will have no chance, ever, at a national championship in football or basketball, much less a B1G championship. If it hasn't happened by now, given the recent changes in college sports, it ain't gonna. Why not play in a league that is fun more of the time than not, and against peers, not sem-pro teams. It's a new day, although the Ivies realized that 70 years ago when they determined not to be the minor leagues for professional sports.
Ridiculous. I love ya @stpaulcat , but NU already “beats” Harvard at several things.

We would have to have 10 consecutive 0 or 1 win seasons to even consider such a jump. AKA the Dark Ages on steroids.

I don’t think things will get that bad in our lifetimes. But a super conference is coming as soon as the SEC expands membership.

The Super Ivy League - or how about the “Elite League” - would be NU’s best outcome when it comes.

Did Gary Barnett, in the final analysis, accomplish basically nothing? I know we can't be competitive playing win-with-defense deadly-dull-offense Fitzball with a bad defense. Either get a DC who's a star, or open up the offense, or both.
The teams led by Gary Barnett, Randy Walker, and Pat Fitzgerald each accomplished great things. And we have what we largely need to compete at a higher level as a result. Modern facilities, a proven recent track record of success, and a stadium renovation on the way.

If we go 3-9 or worse this season, Fitz will make changes. Maybe a really big change fans won’t like. But he knows the deal. He’s too smart a coach not too.

Reactions: No Chores
I needed a distraction so calculated a weighted average on the results so far.

Our message board’s prediction for 2022, on average, is 5-7.

(Or, 4.96-7.04 based my quick Excel math using the 132 votes so far.)

What Barnett accomplished was truly astounding. The times are changing though, and given NU's shadow "dark ages" attitude toward major sports (I exclude our major donors' from that statement), that's not likely to happen again, but it doesn't really need to. We can probably hold on somewhere in the middle third of the conference indefinitely (that accounts for second last one year and second last the next). Snooze....

Last edited:
Good point.

Who else then? Illinois & Purdue as they won’t make the cut for the looming super conference?
Maybe Purdue, but Illinois would make such a cut. Easy win for the big boys, yet a huge alumni base (largely concentrated in two large markets - Chicago and St. Louis) and one of the better academic schools left on the table ($$$).

It’s hard to predict anything, even for an optimist, after last year. Typically even when we’re “average” we look at our OOC with Duke and MAC teams and figure those are likely wins. But Duke only took like 1 quarter to destroy us last year. Similarly we look at the West and usually like our chances with Illinois, Purdue and Neb and are competitive against Minn, Wisc and Iowa. However, those teams all destroyed us last year.

But if our O and D both improve even like 25%, and if we return to getting some bounces our way in close games, I could see 6-6.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT