ADVERTISEMENT

Probably the highest (pre)pre-season ranking for NU you'll see

Last edited:
Pat Caputo is a genuine genius! God Bless him every one. If Northwestern is ranked anywhere near his #11 prediction at the end of next season, I can guarantee you that I am going to subscribe to his paper for the advertised price of $1.50/ week- even if and though I live nowhere near "Oakland." Is Pat by any chance a Medill grad?

Pat Caputo is a genuine genius! God Bless him every one. If Northwestern is ranked anywhere near his #11 prediction at the end of next season, I can guarantee you that I am going to subscribe to his paper for the advertised price of $1.50/ week- even if and though I live nowhere near "Oakland." Is Pat by any chance a Medill grad?
So this is Oakland, Michigan, not California. Longtime columnist and major league guy

Top 25 preseason ranking ='s "The Kiss of Death." I'm bummed.

I was looking forward to a 9 or 10 win season and to do that we need to sneak up on a couple teams i.e., Wisconsin, PSU early B1G.

and, Go Cats !

Last edited:
Just. Wow.

I hope Fitz doesn't make the mistake he made last year. It took him until game 3 to realize he needed to be the "alpha male" (or so he said). I hope he takes that responsibility from jump street this year. Easier to let off the gas if leaders on the team emerge than to lose games early.

Hopefully he learned he either need s to be or coach up a couple of inspired leaders. I feel like he should have seen that coming.

If you think NU finishes 10-3 then this ranking is not crazy. What is not crazy is that 10-3 is easily possible when our crossover games are Penn State, Maryland & Michigan State.

Just. Wow.

I hope Fitz doesn't make the mistake he made last year. It took him until game 3 to realize he needed to be the "alpha male" (or so he said). I hope he takes that responsibility from jump street this year. Easier to let off the gas if leaders on the team emerge than to lose games early.

Got it. It was Fitz's fault. The players had nothing to do with it.

Got it. It was Fitz's fault. The players had nothing to do with it.

Did you listen to his interviews? He said himself that he needed to put his "size 12" up some butts. Yes, the players had plenty to do with it (watching Hance get beat continually against ISU was painful), but Fitz clearly changed his approach when team leadership failed to emerge.

Did you listen to his interviews? He said himself that he needed to put his "size 12" up some butts. Yes, the players had plenty to do with it (watching Hance get beat continually against ISU was painful), but Fitz clearly changed his approach when team leadership failed to emerge.

That was my read on what Fitz said as well.

Reactions: Inovacat
Although starting fast has historically not been an issue for Fitz led teams. Winning in October has been the issue and they addressed that this year. Hopefully, they can play at a consistently high level all year.

I happen to think he's spot on. Maybe a little low.

I also enjoy me some good ganja from time to time, but that's not why I say that.

Top 25 preseason ranking ='s "The Kiss of Death." I'm bummed.

I was looking forward to a 9 or 10 win season and to do that we need to sneak up on a couple teams i.e., Wisconsin, PSU early B1G.

and, Go Cats !
We don't need to sneak up on anyone. We need to win in the trenches. We should win the West this season. If we don't it isn't because of the coaches.

We don't need to sneak up on anyone. We need to win in the trenches. We should win the West this season. If we don't it isn't because of the coaches.

Nope, it will be because of the players that the coaches recruited, trained and coached.
/S
CD , I'm glad you expect the players to be accountable. They should be. What many of us gripe about is the long periods of time - years - where a particular unit (say, the OL at the moment ) just doesn't do their job. So the players are accountable, but when class after class underperforms, then what?

To make things more puzzling is that you have such a unit, say DBs, that suddenly is lockdown after years in the doldrums.

"Oh that's because we recruited more offensive players than defensive". Why?

Why is our kicker untrustworthy in his senior year after giving up baseball for football?

Fitz is a great guy and I hope he coaches here forever, but everyone, EVERYONE, should try to improve. Sometimes we feel like he does what is comfortable vs trying to get better.

Maybe this is as good as it gets. I can live with it. I cannot tell you how proud I am of these young men on AND OFF the field. I want to be like them when I grow up

Nope, it will be because of the players that the coaches recruited, trained and coached.
/S
CD , I'm glad you expect the players to be accountable. They should be. What many of us gripe about is the long periods of time - years - where a particular unit (say, the OL at the moment ) just doesn't do their job. So the players are accountable, but when class after class underperforms, then what?

To make things more puzzling is that you have such a unit, say DBs, that suddenly is lockdown after years in the doldrums.

Why is our kicker untrustworthy in his senior year after giving up baseball for football?

Fitz is a great guy and I hope he coaches here forever, but everyone, EVERYONE, should try to improve. Sometimes we feel like he does what is comfortable vs trying to get better.

Maybe this is as good as it gets. I can live with it. I cannot tell you how proud I am of these young men on AND OFF the field. I want to be like them when I grow up
I can tell you this , not one player , one coach , one parent , or one recruit is satisfied with this season. The players I know expect to win Championships Yes the coaches recruit players , but they get little time to know the players they recruit They rely on High School coaches to tell of the players character and work effort. The coaches can evaluate talent , they can't evaluate work effort . It will be up to players to hold themselves and their teammates to a Championship level

Last edited:
Reactions: Purple Pile Driver

Ye who rails on coach speak chooses to take him literally when it suits you.

Agree we need to win in the trenches. Whether it's the players or the coaches, the OL needs to get much better and more consistent ( and it would help for a few WRs to emerge this year...)

Reactions: CatsDad
Agree we need to win in the trenches. Whether it's the players or the coaches, the OL needs to get much better and more consistent ( and it would help for a few WRs to emerge this year...)
Be nice to pick up the Oregon wr

/S

I really think Fitz does what he expects to win, not what he is comfortable with. Does it always work out? No. However, I do believe he expects Wins, not comfort. When I see him saying this is as good as it gets and it is less than a B1G championship I will jump on the bandwagon of dismay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT