ADVERTISEMENT

Props from ESPN

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
ESPN gives the best performances from the bowls, and JJTBC is the best offensive performer. Of course, the Wildcatettes got a mention for bowl appropriate celebration. In their Winners and Losers, my favorite head ball coach led off as a Winner (of course!):

"Pat Fitzgerald: Northwestern capped its comeback from early-season adversity with an upset win over Pittsburgh in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl, and the good news continued when Fitzgerald received word that he’d only be losing linebacker Anthony Walker early to the NFL draft. Obviously, he would rather have kept everybody in the fold, but holding on to Justin Jackson for another year in the backfield is a significant bonus for a team that has seen Clayton Thorson continue to develop at quarterback and will have no shortage of veteran starters returning this year. As far as springboards into the offseason go, Northwestern might have the best one in the league."

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/140767/big-ten-bowl-superlatives

Still not clear why ESPN (or anyone, really) thought/thinks Jackson might have jumped to the NFL early. He never gave any indication that he was considering the move (didn't ask for feedback like Walker or Igwebuike, etc.) and, while he's a tremendous college player, his NFL potential is limited by his size and lack of top-end speed.

While I'm extremely excited to watch him continuing his ascent up the B1G/NCAA's all-time leading rusher lists, I don't think we were ever in any real danger of losing him to the NFL early.

Still not clear why ESPN (or anyone, really) thought/thinks Jackson might have jumped to the NFL early. He never gave any indication that he was considering the move (didn't ask for feedback like Walker or Igwebuike, etc.) and, while he's a tremendous college player, his NFL potential is limited by his size and lack of top-end speed.

While I'm extremely excited to watch him continuing his ascent up the B1G/NCAA's all-time leading rusher lists, I don't think we were ever in any real danger of losing him to the NFL early.

Hey, if they want to make good press out of it, let them.

Reactions: kreggk
I love the pop psychology of offseason "momentum" and related drivel served up as quality journalism. But if it's a vehicle for talking up PF, JJ and the Cats, bring it on!

Hopefully we have another great offseason in the weight room, with Freakazoid numbers across the board. That said, I won't get too excited or too pessimistic until they suit up and play an actual opponent.

Reactions: NUCat320
How did NU finish ahead of Minnesota in the post-season power ratings for 2016?

How did NU finish ahead of Minnesota in the post-season power ratings for 2016?
Minnesota vs Northwestern:

Academic reputation: NU>>UM
Diversity of academic programs: UM>>NU
Where would I go if I did it all over again: UM...some good aquatic entomologists there

Location/opportunity: NU>>UM...Chicago is three times the city and metro area than Mps/StP. Chicago is a short EL or METRA ride from Evanston.
Location/recreation: UM>>NU...14,000 lakes! Lot's of walleye and crappie! Ice fishing!
Job opportunities: NU>UM
Campus: NU>>UM...On Lake Michigan
Mascot: UM>NU...Goldy is cooler than Willie, and his girlfriend, Sally, is hot! She created a mini-scandal when she opened her bar. Her image was deemed too racy.

Stadium: UM>>NU...I like ancient Ryan Field, but I hear great things about UM's stadium.
Football program: NU>UM...sorry, but you guys haven't won anything in 50 years.
Football coaching: ??? ... PJFleck did a nice job turning around WMU. How will he do at UM? Fitz has had modest success so far, with several 10 win seasons and bowl wins recently.

I love the pop psychology of offseason "momentum" and related drivel served up as quality journalism. But if it's a vehicle for talking up PF, JJ and the Cats, bring it on!

Hopefully we have another great offseason in the weight room, with Freakazoid numbers across the board. That said, I won't get too excited or too pessimistic until they suit up and play an actual opponent.
Let me save you some of the suspense. NU will have the best off season in the weight room ever in 2017. Guys will have gained a ton of strength across the board. We are all excited about what this will mean on the field in the fall.

Let me save you some of the suspense. NU will have the best off season in the weight room ever in 2017. Guys will have gained a ton of strength across the board. We are all excited about what this will mean on the field in the fall.

The head coach is probably going to say nice things about his team during the offseason? No way!

JJ will be all pro! Clayton and JJ will have great pro careers! Meanwhile,me and Gladescat will be kicking back diet Pepsies and watching these guys on our coach, remembering the days when we strapped it on!

They're just looking at yardage numbers. I don't think their draft gurus are writing these blurbs.

Reactions: ricko654321
Ending the season with a bowl win is like going off a ski jump. No matter what happened in the season, a bowl win vaults the program into the rarified air of positive press and optimism for the eight months of the off season. And considering this is when a TON of recruiting is done, the image created is truly invaluable. Same happened in 2013. I will never understand the opinions of those who would take a loss in a 'bigger bowl' over any kind of bowl win, with the EXCEPTION of a bowl loss in a Rose Bowl or CFP game. Nobody remembers what the bowl selection process was or who was 'picked' for a 'better bowl'. Just if you won.

Ending the season with a bowl win is like going off a ski jump. No matter what happened in the season, a bowl win vaults the program into the rarified air of positive press and optimism for the eight months of the off season. And considering this is when a TON of recruiting is done, the image created is truly invaluable. Same happened in 2013. I will never understand the opinions of those who would take a loss in a 'bigger bowl' over any kind of bowl win, with the EXCEPTION of a bowl loss in a Rose Bowl or CFP game. Nobody remembers what the bowl selection process was or who was 'picked' for a 'better bowl'. Just if you won.
Completely agree with you. A NU bowl win is bringing me 8 months of pure bliss. My son will be born into a world where Northwestern is a bowl winner!

Eh but that's because we got matched up with a high quality and well regarded ranked opponent in Pitt (that we were 6 pt underdogs to), then beat them in a good game. If we would have beaten like a 6-6 Akron team in the motor city bowl (or BC this year) no one would have cared much I don't think. And our win still def got less press then the well contested losses of PSU and Michigan against elite teams.

One bowl win doesn't replace an entire season's performance, in my opinion. The reason people are happier than normal here at 7-6 is not only cause of the bowl win, but also that we bounced back from a terrible start and put together a 5-4 conference record, with 1 of those losses a well played game against OSU. To be clear, all bowl losses are not created equal... the drubbing we took at the hands of Tennessee is not the same as most bowl losses, and I'll agree that undid a lot of the good progress our 10-2 regular season made. That said, I don't think that means we should be afraid to match up against them, we just need to put up a better performance than we did.

Going to better bowls, playing better teams, then winning some and losing some, is a better route to respect and program growth than beating up on 6-6 patsies from non P5 conferences in games no one watches or cares about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT