ADVERTISEMENT

Props to the coaches: ball security

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Last night’s game demonstrated how important holding on to the football is, with Utah as the object lesson.

The Cats did not lose a fumble last night, and Utah lost more last night (4) lost than the Cats did collectively all year(3).

To me, what was more amazing is that all 3 fumbles the Cats lost were by Thorson on sacks (though I am not sure sack is the right term for the one against OSU). That means no NU running back, receiver, or return man lost a fumble all year. Props to the position coaches, as I don’t think that stat comes from a vacuum!

Last night’s game demonstrated how important holding on to the football is, with Utah as the object lesson.

The Cats did not lose a fumble last night, and Utah lost more last night (4) lost than the Cats did collectively all year(3).

To me, what was more amazing is that all 3 fumbles the Cats lost were by Thorson on sacks (though I am not sure sack is the right term for the one against OSU). That means no NU running back, receiver, or return man lost a fumble all year. Props to the position coaches, as I don’t think that stat comes from a vacuum!
That's an amazing stat. The one stat that's probably not for losers!

Reactions: rmndcat and phatcat
And did you see Fitz coaching Bowser on the sidelines after he had one poked out but recovered the bounce? Ball security is clearly a point of emphasis in Evanston. As hard as he ran all year, young Mr. Bowser had two Hans on the ball many, many times as he banged through traffic

Do you remember Coach Walker....always some kind of clip with him practicing ball security.....a ball in silk bag or soaked in water....or olive oil....and if a running back fumbled , he was out.........kind of feel that Fitz is that good combo of old school and new school...

Amazing, zero fumbles lost by RBs all season considering we had to rotate through several RBs including 2 true frosh and a walk-on who had zero game carries before this season.

Do you remember Coach Walker....always some kind of clip with him practicing ball security.....a ball in silk bag or soaked in water....or olive oil....and if a running back fumbled , he was out.........kind of feel that Fitz is that good combo of old school and new school...
Yup. If you fumbled under Walker, you were benched - and it was a sore point with RBs on the team. Thankfully that’s one of the coaching lessons that Fitz hasn’t carried over.
Amazing, zero fumbles lost by RBs all season considering we had to rotate through several RBs including 2 true frosh and a walk-on who had zero game carries before this season.
Mr. Ayeni, please stand and take a bow.

Reactions: CatChatAR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT