ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue is a quality opponent

Well, it was kind of a fun game already this year. Brohm is gonna improve Purdue, so Fitz better get on his horse and up our game too, or we might actually lose to y'all.
I think this year, we still just have to kind of hold on and hope to win 6 again. Next year is the year I think we take a leap. Looks like we are adding a really good class, plus Brohms guys will officially be in the program for at least two years. The future of Purdue football is bright with Brohm, Bobinski, and all the investments happening. Big ten west is going to be a lot tougher in a few years.

Reactions: drewjin
I think this year, we still just have to kind of hold on and hope to win 6 again. Next year is the year I think we take a leap. Looks like we are adding a really good class, plus Brohms guys will officially be in the program for at least two years. The future of Purdue football is bright with Brohm, Bobinski, and all the investments happening. Big ten west is going to be a lot tougher in a few years.

Will be interesting to see whether Purdue can fight off the “name” programs that will inevitably come calling, particularly Louisville.

Will be interesting to see whether Purdue can fight off the “name” programs that will inevitably come calling, particularly Louisville.
We fought off Tennessee. Louisville doesn't scare me all that much honestly. I'm not sure that would be a step up as a job. Only reason I'd worry is it's his school and hometown. The only other ones that would scare me would be your Notre Dame and Ohio States. He has a really good gig at Purdue. That job is actually desirable unlike 2 years ago. Thanks to a new AD that understands football.

We fought off Tennessee. Louisville doesn't scare me all that much honestly. I'm not sure that would be a step up as a job. Only reason I'd worry is it's his school and hometown. The only other ones that would scare me would be your Notre Dame and Ohio States. He has a really good gig at Purdue. That job is actually desirable unlike 2 years ago. Thanks to a new AD that understands football.

1) https://www.hammerandrails.com/2018/3/23/17156386/tennessee-coaching-jeff-brohm-never-happened

The whole thing is a great after-the-fact spin job by Brohm. I don’t think I would have taken that Tennessee job under those circumstances anyway.

2) https://www.diehards.com/louisville/louisville-football-columnist-jeff-brohm-tennesse-job-louisville

Louisville is “home” for Brohm. Yes the situation is messy, but he would be the perfect “golden boy returns home to clean up the program before restoring it to rightful glory” candidate.

Bro
1) https://www.hammerandrails.com/2018/3/23/17156386/tennessee-coaching-jeff-brohm-never-happened

The whole thing is a great after-the-fact spin job by Brohm. I don’t think I would have taken that Tennessee job under those circumstances anyway.

2) https://www.diehards.com/louisville/louisville-football-columnist-jeff-brohm-tennesse-job-louisville

Louisville is “home” for Brohm. Yes the situation is messy, but he would be the perfect “golden boy returns home to clean up the program before restoring it to rightful glory” candidate.
Brohm is also known to be very happy at Purdue. They have allowed him to create the environment he wants and hire his family to help. (Something Louisville is currently bashing petrino for). http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-purdue-jeff-brohm-20180722-story.html
He seems to want to build Purdue. He likes working at a university known as the cradle of Quarterbacks because he was one. And Purdue has given him everything he needs to be successful. And continue to give. I figure if someone wants brohm, it's going to take at least $4.5 million a year for both Brohm and $4.5 million for his staff to get him to look at leaving. And that's assuming Mike Bobinski won't pay more. Mike has said Brohm will be at Purdue as long as he is.

Brohm is also known to be very happy at Purdue. They have allowed him to create the environment he wants and hire his family to help. (Something Louisville is currently bashing petrino for). http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-purdue-jeff-brohm-20180722-story.html
He seems to want to build Purdue. He likes working at a university known as the cradle of Quarterbacks because he was one. And Purdue has given him everything he needs to be successful. And continue to give. I figure if someone wants brohm, it's going to take at least $4.5 million a year for both Brohm and $4.5 million for his staff to get him to look at leaving. And that's assuming Mike Bobinski won't pay more. Mike has said Brohm will be at Purdue as long as he is.

Of course that’s the story you put out there. It would be completely illogical not to for a litany of reasons.

Might be a little different when ol’ alma mater or LSU back up the Brinks truck. Money talks.

Bro

Many coaches say that about many places. Often they will say it up until days or hours before they bolt for another program or the NFL.

Are
Many coaches say that about many places. Often they will say it up until days or hours before they bolt for another program or the NFL.
Are you saying Purdue can't match Louisville with money? He's making 3.8 million right now and that amount goes up at least a million every year. I don't think LSU is an option for him. He wants to stay close to Louisville.

Are you saying Purdue can't match Louisville with money? He's making 3.8 million right now and that amount goes up at least a million every year. I don't think LSU is an option for him. He wants to stay close to Louisville.

Money talks.

And Louisville would pay Brohm a lot. Like, a whole lot.

LMAO! This comment coming from a perennial basement dweller who's had a couple of decent years. Just remember, this is likely as good as Northwestern will ever get as a fringe Top 25 team, while Purdue is just rebuilding from the worst era in its history. If anyone should be humble, it's a Northwestern fan.

I have a lot of respect for Fitzgerald. He's done an amazing job and is as classy as they come. But the comments on here would suggest Northwstern dominated the game and is a perennial powerhouse, which they're not. Don't act like you're anything close to Ohio St, Wisconsin, or Penn State. What I saw last night from your defense and offense says Northwestern is mediocre at best. Lots of depth with very little speed and average talent of whom Fitzgerald gets the most.
NU is not a Wisconsin, but over the last 10 years pretty consistently middle of the division--Iowa level. Purdue under Tiller was a power, but sank and only now is coming back. It was a good performance by them. This looked like a Fitz team in Sept. The pitch count for Thorson was also a factor that hopefully won't still apply when B1G play resumes against Mich. Moore is a beast, but he won't surprise anyone now that there's tape. Good luck to Purdue the rest of the way.

Reactions: drewjin
Are

I'm seriously curious. Sometimes keeping a coach really isn't all about money but also being able to work in a supportive environment which I think Purdue would be fan wise at least. What kind of facility and administrative support would you think Purdue will be able to and need to provide to keep a good coach like the one you have.
I would love to look back on this thread in 20 years and see that PU and NU had grown to be the best powerhouses in the B1G, pissing at each other with every drop we could muster. Doubt that will happen for either of us but it's fun to dream.

Are

They are paying him $3.8 Mill??? Seems a lot for first shot at P5.

I'm seriously curious. Sometimes keeping a coach really isn't all about money but also being able to work in a supportive environment which I think Purdue would be fan wise at least. What kind of facility and administrative support would you think Purdue will be able to and need to provide to keep a good coach like the one you have.
I would love to look back on this thread in 20 years and see that PU and NU had grown to be the best powerhouses in the B1G, pissing at each other with every drop we could muster. Doubt that will happen for either of us but it's fun to dream.
Well, Purdue has given him some of the best football only facilities in the big ten. Something that's been huge for recruiting. They have probably invested another 30 million in random stuff like new sound system and lights if I'm remember correctly on the numbers. And they are preparing to do a south endzone project to the stadium that I think they are wanting to spend 150 mil or so on. They are currently renovating the Drew and Brittney Brees athletes academic center. So they are dumping money into the program to give Brohm everything he wants and needs to succeed.

They are paying him $3.8 Mill??? Seems a lot for first shot at P5.
He didn't start at that. He got a pay raise after last year. Purdue is being proactive to keep him around since he looks like a really good hire.

No one said he is leaving in the immediate future. The Louisville job is not available yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT