ADVERTISEMENT

QB draft prediction

By the way, several years ago, I was talking about McSorley and said he was going to be a good one and I remember you said he wouldn't amount to anything. Were you basing on that on talent evaluators or your own totally incorrect evaluation?

YASFOS

We’ll have to disagree on that. Not elite but at least a middle of the pack NFL starting QB.

Really? Who are the bottom of the pack if Bortles is part of the middle? I’m not being critical; I’m curious whom you have as worse. My “worse than Bortles” list would be short: 49ers, Bills, Titans due to MM playing hurt, Cardinals, ancient Eli. Who else is that bad? Jaguars fans would take Mayfield or Darnold in a heartbeat based on potential if not current upside.

It’s hard for me to get to the middle of the pack with Bortles. We are in a golden age of QBs with Brees, Brady, Mahomes, Big Ben, Rodgers, Wentz, Goff, Rivers, and so on. My logic is simple: if the Jags would gladly replace Bortles with a specific QB, that specific QB is better than Bortles.

Really? Who are the bottom of the pack if Bortles is part of the middle? I’m not being critical; I’m curious whom you have as worse. My “worse than Bortles” list would be short: 49ers, Bills, Titans due to MM playing hurt, Cardinals, ancient Eli. Who else is that bad? Jaguars fans would take Mayfield or Darnold in a heartbeat based on potential if not current upside.

It’s hard for me to get to the middle of the pack with Bortles. We are in a golden age of QBs with Brees, Brady, Mahomes, Big Ben, Rodgers, Wentz, Goff, Rivers, and so on. My logic is simple: if the Jags would gladly replace Bortles with a specific QB, that specific QB is better than Bortles.

These are current starting QB's that I wouldn't take over Bortles: Tannehill, the Bills starting QB, Kennum, Derek Carr, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Marcus Marriota, Alex Smith, Dak Prescott, Eli Manning, The Cardinals starter, James Winston. Currently, I would put Bortles in the same category of QBs as Cam Newton, Matt Stafford, Andrew Luck (post injury), Deshaun Watson, and Kirk Cousins. Setting aside the young QBs who still have the jury out on them (Trubisky, Mahomes, Mayfield), that leaves Brady, Rivers, Rothelisberger, Wentz, Goff, Russell Wilson, Garappollo, Rodgers, Brees and Matt Ryan as the Elite QBs who are clearly superior to Bortles.

These are current starting QB's that I wouldn't take over Bortles: Tannehill, the Bills starting QB, Kennum, Derek Carr, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Marcus Marriota, Alex Smith, Dak Prescott, Eli Manning, The Cardinals starter, James Winston. Currently, I would put Bortles in the same category of QBs as Cam Newton, Matt Stafford, Andrew Luck (post injury), Deshaun Watson, and Kirk Cousins. Setting aside the young QBs who still have the jury out on them (Trubisky, Mahomes, Mayfield), that leaves Brady, Rivers, Rothelisberger, Wentz, Goff, Russell Wilson, Garappollo, Rodgers, Brees and Matt Ryan as the Elite QBs who are clearly superior to Bortles.
You have an inflated opinion of Bortles. There’s no way Dallas, Cincy, Oakland, Washington, Houston, Detroit, Carolina or Minnesota would trade its starting qb straight up for Bortles.

You have an inflated opinion of Bortles. There’s no way Dallas, Cincy, Oakland, Washington, Houston, Detroit, Carolina or Minnesota would trade its starting qb straight up for Bortles.
His list of “BB is better than” didn’t include Houston, Detroit, Carolina, or Minnesota.

Reactions: corbi296

Perhaps but what have those franchises won lately? Some of those guys put up the stats that make them better fantasy football QBs but they don't do the things that are necessary to win football games. When I look at QBs I look at three things; does he have a track record of winning, is he accurate and does he have mobility. Bortles is not elite in the latter two but he gets the job done and he is a winner. I know that many want to solely credit the talent around him for Jacksonville's ascent but they wouldn't be as successful without Bortles. It's no coincidence that Tom Coughlin stuck with Bortles when he took over the team. Coughlin knows what it takes to win football games.

His list of “BB is better than” didn’t include Houston, Detroit, Carolina, or Minnesota.

That's correct, I put him in the same category as those guys. Like I said, Bortles is not elite but he is a mid tier starting QB in the NFL.

Fine. He said they’re in the “same category” so they could be traded one for one. Except none of those teams would deal its QB for Bortles straight up. You know it, I know it, he knows it. If he likes to be the contrarian fine but he’s not right.

That's correct, I put him in the same category as those guys. Like I said, Bortles is not elite but he is a mid tier starting QB in the NFL.
He’s not a mid tier qb. Almost no team would start him above the guy the team already has. That makes him lower than mid tier.

Disagree.
I forgot you’re another self proclaimed football expert like gocatsgo. A little experience and you think you’re a football god. Funny thing is I don’t see either one of you jokers on the sideline so maybe you’re not so superior after all. God knows it’s tiring every Saturday watching you and gcg insulting fans you deem inferior.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I forgot you’re another self proclaimed football expert like gocatsgo. A little experience and you think you’re a football god. Funny thing is I don’t see either one of you jokers on the sideline so maybe you’re not so superior after all. God knows it’s tiring every Saturday watching you and gcg insulting fans you deem inferior.

I expressed an opinion and supported it. You disagree with it. What's the problem? If I don't say you are right that means that I somehow become a self proclaimed football expert? Go pound sand.

I expressed an opinion and supported it. You disagree with it. What's the problem? If I don't say you are right that means that I somehow become a self proclaimed football expert? Go pound sand.
You didn’t support it with any factual basis. Not unusual for you and gcg though. Same methods.

You didn’t support it with any factual basis. Not unusual for you and gcg though. Same methods.

He is the starting QB in the NFL for a team that was one of the best in the NFL last year. He just got extended with a $20MM a year contract by a GM who has forgotten more about football that you will ever know. A GM who did not draft him and has every incentive to launch him if he really thought Bortles was not the guy. This is anectdotal factual evidence that supports my position. What evidence did you provide to support yours? Your opinion that those other teams would not trade their quarterback for Bortles. That's an opinion. Do you know the difference between a fact and an opinion? Do me a favor and buzz off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dugan15
He is the starting QB in the NFL for a team that was one of the best in the NFL last year. He just got extended with a $20MM a year contract by a GM who has forgotten more about football that you will ever know. A GM who did not draft him and has every incentive to launch him if he really thought Bortles was not the guy. This is anectdotal factual evidence that supports my position. What evidence did you provide to support yours? Your opinion that those other teams would not trade their quarterback for Bortles. That's an opinion. Do you know the difference between a fact and an opinion? Do me a favor and buzz off.

Just gonna leave this here...

https://deadspin.com/blake-bortles-...eadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook

Reactions: NJCat
tenor.gif

Tyree Jackson is in a barnburner on Tuesday night MACtion on ESPN, for those interested. Six total TDs tonight, though he just had a 3 and out in the first possession of the fourth quarter in a tie game.

Also, this is the only time I successfully posted a gif, but I feel like it was mostly lost, having come on a game day.

Wow. I would take Case Keenum, Alex Smith, Dak Prescott and Andy Dalton and a healthy Marcus Marriota ove Blake Bortles easily. It goes without saying all of the ones you list in the same category as well.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Wow. I would take Case Keenum, Alex Smith, Dak Prescott and Andy Dalton and a healthy Marcus Marriota ove Blake Bortles easily. It goes without saying all of the ones you list in the same category as well.
Yeah I think Bortles is somewhere in the 25-30 range of starting QBs and there are prob a few backups out there I’d take over him (Foles, Bridgewater?). He’s a better fantasy QB for racking up meaningless stats (and cause he scrambles fairly well), but has weak arm strength and not great accuracy. The fact that they are considering benching him for Cody Kessler despite recently signing him to a deal, and supposedly would like to trade for even someone like Eli if they had the cap space... I definitely would not rate him in the same tier as Cam or Deshaun (though I worry that Deshaun’s talent will slowly degrade over time as the NFL takes some of the mobility out of him - but he’s still way better than Bortles just as a thrower).

For the record, I think he’s better than Kessler. And I actually like and cheer for the Jags, I’m not really sure why. But Bortles is not good IMO.

You’re entitled to your opinion. As stated previously, I’ll take my QB eye over yours. Bortles' significant physical talents exceed his production, which makes him an average NFL starting QB who is prone to inconsistency. These last two weeks are a microcosm of his career. Two weeks ago he played poorly and was benched and this past week he had a very nice bounce back game against a very tough defense. Sound familiar? By the way, that was the point of my original post in this thread. I think Bortles is a pretty good NFL comp for Clayton.

Last edited:
OT to the post I'm replying to, but I think this is the same thread we were talking about other comps for Clayton originally. Speaking of those, Nate Stanley had a positively awful game on Saturday against PSU. Like, even way worse than CT's game against Rutgers and against a more important opponent. He repeatedly missed open receivers, including most comically on a 4th and 1 where he sold an awesome P/A fake and had a TE downfield with literally no one within 15 yards of him (and no one in front of him either). And he proceeded to overthrow him by 10 yards, despite having time to throw. Also missed numerous other WRs, and had a couple clock management gaffes as well - most notably on a key 4th down in goal line situation where they had some missed audible, then play clock running out, then he snapped the ball with half his WRs having no idea what the call was and just standing on the line.

He'd played well the last few weeks against week competition (Md notwithstanding as with that weather and the Iowa lead he didn't have to do anything beyond hand the ball off), but he regressed significantly against Penn St. That was a national game too... could not have helped his draft status.

Let's hope our defense can force the same type of play out of him a week from Saturday.

Fine. He said they’re in the “same category” so they could be traded one for one. Except none of those teams would deal its QB for Bortles straight up. You know it, I know it, he knows it. If he likes to be the contrarian fine but he’s not right.
He said middle of the pack. Generally, at any time there are about 5 elite QBs (generally each has about a 10 year run) and 5 that other teams second string is better than and the rest are in the middle. We may have an extra one or two in the elite category right now because, how often do you have 40+ year old guys still playing let alone elite?

You’re entitled to your opinion. As stated previously, I’ll take my QB eye over yours. Bortles' significant physical talents exceed his production, which makes him an average NFL starting QB who is prone to inconsistency. These last two weeks are a microcosm of his career. Two weeks ago he played poorly and was benched and this past week he had a very nice bounce back game against a very tough defense. Sound familiar? By the way, that was the point of my original post in this thread. I think Bortles is a pretty good NFL comp for Clayton.

Ewww....

I thought you were a Thorson fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT