ADVERTISEMENT

Ramsey

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Another Athletic article, Peyton still needs to complete his student teaching (remotely) to graduate:

Because Ramsey has not officially signed — he’s expected to do that sometime after his Indiana graduation — he has not received a Northwestern playbook, leaving him to study film on his iPad and work out on his own. In one regard, he’s now in the same boat as every other Northwestern player since schools shut down in-person learning.

https://theathletic.com/1750788/2020/04/16/peyton-ramsey-quarterback-transfer-northwestern-indiana/

Reactions: corbi296
The message I'm hearing more and more around the Big Ten is - if they can't meet as a student - they won't be meeting as an athlete

Reactions: runawayCat
The message I'm hearing more and more around the Big Ten is - if they can't meet as a student - they won't be meeting as an athlete

FWIW, ESPN reported on their running tag line yesterday that this is the official position of Notre Dame,

That’s the way it should be. Why should we put athletes at risk for the benefit of our entertainment if the schools do not feel comfortable enough to have the general student population back on campus.

PAC-12 is saying that as well: Must be students back on campus in order to play games. I think all the leagues had a conference call this week and kind of agreed about this.

PAC-12 is saying that as well: Must be students back on campus in order to play games. I think all the leagues had a conference call this week and kind of agreed about this.

Of course the football players return to campus before the students are back so one could anticipate that practices may begin with game scheduling to be determined later.

A lot will depend how definitive it becomes that conference colleges will remain vacant after September.

The pressure must be great on administrators to allow students back on campus as soon as possible. It is hard to imagine students and their parents are going to want to pay on campus tuition rates for a University of Phoenix model online education.

Last edited:
Another Athletic article, Peyton still needs to complete his student teaching (remotely) to graduate:

Because Ramsey has not officially signed — he’s expected to do that sometime after his Indiana graduation — he has not received a Northwestern playbook, leaving him to study film on his iPad and work out on his own. In one regard, he’s now in the same boat as every other Northwestern player since schools shut down in-person learning.

https://theathletic.com/1750788/2020/04/16/peyton-ramsey-quarterback-transfer-northwestern-indiana/
Hopefully it is because they are coming up with a new one

Out of curiosity, does anybody know what level and subject/s that PR is planning to teach after college? Since most of school these days is done online, why can't he live in Evanston and finish his student teaching? My sister teaches hs ap/normal chemistry at a local high school. She has recorded a whole semester full of lectures (meant for her students to watch on their computers) for her students already and mostly zooms with her students these days. Why can't PR just get his student teaching in on the computer and be evaluated by his mentor while at NU over the next few months? Am i missing something here? How does it work?? Anybody know?

What could he do football wise in Evanston that he can’t do from Bloomington?

Hunter will start!
Hunter has shown that he doesnt have the skillset needed that can produce at a higher level like Ramsey. I imagine Green will back up Ramsey. Hunter's role will be like Oliver's. He has a great arm but reading defenses through a dark lens put him at the end of the bench. Marty and Smith were much better but even both of them are mostly awful and would never see the field for at least an average football team.

Remember, Fitz knows better than all the gurus on this board and thats why he jumped all over this ramsey stud.

Hunter has shown that he doesnt have the skillset needed that can produce at a higher level like Ramsey. I imagine Green will back up Ramsey. Hunter's role will be like Oliver's. He has a great arm but reading defenses through a dark lens put him at the end of the bench. Marty and Smith were much better but even both of them are mostly awful and would never see the field for at least an average football team.

Remember, Fitz knows better than all the gurus on this board and thats why he jumped all over this ramsey stud.
Sorry but my bet is still on Hunter, if the Cat's plan on a winning season.

He absolutely had the physical skills. HuJo is still the most physically skilled QB on the roster, even with Ramsey on board. Has to figure out the timing and anticipation of P5 game speed.

Reactions: techtim72

I hope Hunter is as good as anyone here hopes, but for anyone to believe that Ramsey isn’t the absolute favorite to win the job, or that if he starts, we are less likely to have a winning season, given his body of work at IU where he made All B1G HM after just 6 games and put up more yards and TDS in those 6 games than any of our QBs in their collegiate career combined is way beyond me.

The discussion about Ramsey is sadly moot since there may not be a season this year and therefore he wouldn't be around for the succeeding year.

Reactions: AtlantaCat
The discussion about Ramsey is sadly moot since there may not be a season this year and therefore he wouldn't be around for the succeeding year.

I would imagine fall athletes would get a similar opportunity as spring athletes if their season is cancelled.

Difficult to tell whether it was that so much (taking into account his lack of overall experience) or if it was also not having a firm grasp of McCall's playbook (probably both).

W/ the new playbook, both HJ and Ramsey will be starting from the same point, but Ramsey definitely has the edge when it comes to experience and being able to read defenses (in due time w/ experience, HJ may become as good, or at least close to it, but after the disastrous season last year, don't think Fitz is in the mood to wait for HJ to develop in that area).

If there is no FB season this year and players are granted another year of eligibility, who knows if Ramsey would want to return for another year?

But if he has dreams of playing in the NFL, returning (or at last playing somewhere) is a must and he would have plenty of time to learn the playbook (as well as working/completing a graduate degree).

If that scenario pops up (and Hunter doesn't think he'll win the starting job over Ramsey), can see HJ headed to the transfer portal.

True, but Fitz and Co. also passed over Ramsey the 1st time for another QB on the roster.

The pressure must be great on administrators to allow students back on campus as soon as possible. It is hard to imagine students and their parents are going to want to pay on campus tuition rates for a University of Phoenix model online education.

Pricey private middle/high schools haven't exactly been granting (partial) refunds and tuition for the UoPh isn't exactly cheap (there's a reason why the founder is a billionaire).

Last edited:

Exactly, particularly if we get stupid with relaxing social distancing. We won't have any sports next year if we don't.

Last edited:
My bet is on Hunter, with TJ backing him up! I doubt Ramsey even comes to NU! If he does, that would be great! If the flue roles around, we would need all three qbs anyways! Folks, it will be a catastrophe if we don’t have football! Basically a tsunami of financial problems for private and public universities.

Wouldn't NCAA have to give them another year like they did the spring sports? And MS programs are likely closer to two years so he needs the extra one

My bet is on Hunter, with TJ backing him up! I doubt Ramsey even comes to NU! If he does, that would be great! If the flue roles around, we would need all three qbs anyways! Folks, it will be a catastrophe if we don’t have football! Basically a tsunami of financial problems for private and public universities.
We would likely have fewer of them than the big boys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT