ADVERTISEMENT

Rashawn Slater’s recovery from torn bicep

WestCoastWildcat

May 29, 2001
Del Mar, CA
The Chargers beat the Colts and are now a wildcard team in the playoffs. There has been speculation about Slater’s return and again it was discussed during the game about Rashawn’s potential to play in the final regular season games with the Rams and Broncos or in their playoff game(s). I don’t know if he is ready yet to come back. It would be a bonus for the Charges is he is able to return. (Joey Bosa also may be ready to play as week.)

PS- it appears that Gaz is back on th injured/reserved list so he saw no action in the game tonight. It would be cool to see both Gaz and Slater in the Chargers playoff game.

Last edited:
I would hope for his return, but not if expediency, rather than a complete heal, is the main decision factor. He needs to get well, then play, not the other way around. He's proven that he is a very valuable piece of the Charger's future - don't mess it up!

I have not seen it clarified if he ruptured the proximal biceps tendon(shoulder) or the distal biceps(elbow). The distal biceps repair/recovery is more critical as the loss of the proximal tendon creates a cosmetic deformity and mild loss of strength. Proximal biceps tenodesis is routinely performed now as part of labral surgeries. The only problem is that it creates a stress riser and late fractures can occur

I have not seen it clarified if he ruptured the proximal biceps tendon(shoulder) or the distal biceps(elbow). The distal biceps repair/recovery is more critical as the loss of the proximal tendon creates a cosmetic deformity and mild loss of strength. Proximal biceps tenodesis is routinely performed now as part of labral surgeries. The only problem is that it creates a stress riser and late fractures can occur
I read that he hurt his arm

I have only seen references that he tore his left bicep and had surgery but his return to play in late regular games or the playoffs was a more positive indication of his recovery than initially expected. I did see one article mention the rupture involved bicep connection to the shoulder but don’t know for sure if it was the proximal biceps tendon that was ruptured. Having fractured my left shoulder (head of the humerus) this past summer I have a greater appreciation of all of the muscles involved in arm and shoulder movements including the bicep tendons! Fortunately I’ve recovered without having surgery, just lots of pt.

Reactions: drewjin and DaCat
I have only seen references that he tore his left bicep and had surgery but his return to play in late regular games or the playoffs was a more positive indication of his recovery than initially expected. I did see one article mention the rupture involved bicep connection to the shoulder but don’t know for sure if it was the proximal biceps tendon that was ruptured. Having fractured my left shoulder (head of the humerus) this past summer I have a greater appreciation of all of the muscles involved in arm and shoulder movements including the bicep tendons! Fortunately I’ve recovered without having surgery, just lots of pt.
If the shoulder was mentioned, then it was the long head of the biceps(proximal tendon) that ruptured-simpler surgery, less risk of neurological injury, easier rehab usually 4-6 months recovery

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT