ADVERTISEMENT

Rationale on the goal line strategy?

Sheffielder

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2004
I didn't catch the post-game conference, but I'm wondering if Braun commented on our passing/no running strategy on that set of downs, and even if he didn't, what do we think the rationale was?

I would imagine Lujan was thinking he knew the defense was well prepared for the run and we had a depleted line, no Porter, and no chance to punch it in. I'm not saying this was "right" but we obviously saw the results of what actually happened, and I'm just wondering if there was an explanation that I missed.

I didn't catch the post-game conference, but I'm wondering if Braun commented on our passing/no running strategy on that set of downs, and even if he didn't, what do we think the rationale was?

I would imagine Lujan was thinking he knew the defense was well prepared for the run and we had a depleted line, no Porter, and no chance to punch it in. I'm not saying this was "right" but we obviously saw the results of what actually happened, and I'm just wondering if there was an explanation that I missed.
Washington’s defense was very similar to what I saw USC doing to Michigan in the second half. Both were sending the house on any probable pass play. Both knew they weren’t likely to get beat via the pass. USC dominated that second half and should have won. The main difference is Michigan has some studs and broke a 63 yard run on a 4th and 1. They get stopped there and USC wins. We have very few game breakers that can scare a defense so they pin their ears back. We are going to see blitz after blitz this year. I know I am stating the obvious, but we got a couple weeks to figure this out.

I blame drugs. Must have been drugs of some sort. Probably something like LSD or shrooms, but maybe just some really strong weed.

Because we were getting ZERO push out of our OL. The running game was basically non existent. Hinmon had all of 15 yds rushing and it was ALL on one play, Komolafe averaged two yds per carry (he had one carry for 6 yds and averaged 1 ypc on the rest) Lausch was th most effective but he requires open field to have some holes. And inside the 5 with a compressed field it is even harder

Because we were getting ZERO push out of our OL. The running game was basically non existent. Hinmon had all of 15 yds rushing and it was ALL on one play, Komolafe averaged two yds per carry (he had one carry for 6 yds and averaged 1 ypc on the rest) Lausch was th most effective but he requires open field to have some holes. And inside the 5 with a compressed field it is even harder

When you see play sequences like that it sometimes means the OC is an idiot, but more likely it means that he has no confidence in his offensive line. Yeah, a B1G team should be able to line up from the 1 yard line and shove it into the end zone, but should doesn't mean can. I'm very hesitant to judge Lujan this year until we show that we can block consistently, because nothing works without blocking.

- No Cam Porter and neither of our remaining two backs are competent power options
- Both guards and the center are all not the same guys who started the year in those spots due to injury. If you’re gonna stuff it up the middle these are the guys who are supposed to do it and you’re held together by duct tape and deep into depth there.
- Literally replaced the center mid game for a play that requires excellent center->QB execution
- Pretty clear gun-shyness after the weight fumble early (not justifying if this one is rational)
- Washington has a good D line and was selling out vs the run because our receivers were no threat

I’m not saying a QB run and/or sneak shouldn’t have been attempted, IMO at least one little pistol sneak by Lausch should have been tried (in addition to the three other run plays inside the 2 that were stuffed) but those are the reasons I can think of and some of them are at least reasonable on their own.

Reactions: NJCat
- No Cam Porter and neither of our remaining two backs are competent power options
- Both guards and the center are all not the same guys who started the year in those spots due to injury. If you’re gonna stuff it up the middle these are the guys who are supposed to do it and you’re held together by duct tape and deep into depth there.
- Literally replaced the center mid game for a play that requires excellent center->QB execution
- Pretty clear gun-shyness after the weight fumble early (not justifying if this one is rational)
- Washington has a good D line and was selling out vs the run because our receivers were no threat

I’m not saying a QB run and/or sneak shouldn’t have been attempted, IMO at least one little pistol sneak by Lausch should have been tried (in addition to the three other run plays inside the 2 that were stuffed) but those are the reasons I can think of and some of them are at least reasonable on their own.
Fact is that the more you look at it the more the decision to go for a FG is no where near as bad as people keep saying. The expected value was much higher than going for it on 4th and goal

Reactions: Darren72
Fact is that the more you look at it the more the decision to go for a FG is no where near as bad as people keep saying. The expected value was much higher than going for it on 4th and goal
I am coming around to this now. Not that the lack of an OL that can get 1 yard for a RB is totally unrelated to coaching, but at least the in game decision I sort of understand.

However, the goal line decision in OT against Duke was similar, and we had Porter bashing them for carry after carry before that QB sweep that lost 8 yards.

I am coming around to this now. Not that the lack of an OL that can get 1 yard for a RB is totally unrelated to coaching, but at least the in game decision I sort of understand.

However, the goal line decision in OT against Duke was similar, and we had Porter bashing them for carry after carry before that QB sweep that lost 8 yards.
The lack of an OL that can get one yd is because of the tremendous lack of depth due to the Fitz dismissal, especially the way it was done and the timing and the mass exodus that resulted. We have lost 3 starters off that line since the first snap this year and it was already pretty thin. And we did not have anything close to a power back after Porter went down.

Not supporting that call here, especially since it was going to the right side which had shown to be the weakest part of the OL. Did seem that Porter was gashing them and keeping going that way seemed like the best alternative. But it was his second game calling at this level so some slack may be in order

I appreciate the conversation here, and yes, to reiterate - at the most fundamental level of course I realize our O-line was depleted and we were without our starting back.

I'm still left to wonder about the odds of pushing the line <1 yard vs. a very green QB trying to throw it. Were the odds really *that* much better to complete a pass here? It just did not seem to me that passing was actually the "least worst" option, and it didn't even feel like a toss up question. (admittedly I have the luxury of questioning this on a message board where I know the calls to pass definitely did not work)

It was a terrible decision. Hard stop.
If the intention was to concede the game and take the loss, while enabling the offense to score a few points - it was perfect.
Otherwise it was pathetic.

Admittedly not quite as pathetic as the subsequent possession when we threw 3 passes from the Washington 1.
But by then, the offensive coordinator had already told the offensive line that he had zero confidence in them, so it wasn't that surprising.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT