ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting is going well

suddenly. Unfortunately for him, the dream job turned into a nightmare and a coaching dead end for him but that doesn't take away from what he accomplished here. As ECat stated, he did not leave the cupboard bare and what's more, he removed the stigma of "losers
Gary Barnett produced a college football miracle in 1995. It was his first college head coaching gig and like any sudden success, it can be hard to process. In addition, he may not have thought he could keep it going at Northwestern, with the facilities disadvantages, not to mention coaching pay scales. Fitz seems to be getting the necessary support to sustain the success he's had so far even with the bar raised to a much higher level in terms of overall competitiveness in the Big Ten.
That 0-and-8 league season may have added to Gary's insecurity, but he still wasn't going to leave until his "dream job" of Colorado opened up suddenly. Unfortunately for him, the dream job turned into a nightmare and a coaching dead end for him but that doesn't take away from what he accomplished here. As ECat stated, he did not leave the cupboard bare and what's more, he removed the stigma of "losers" that had been attached to the program, something Chris Collins is trying to do right now on the basketball side. That, and not the academic restrictions, has been the hardest thing for Northwestern to overcome.

Yes, and what he accomplished at NU still makes him arguably the greatest coach we ever had in any of our lifetimes. Arguable only because we had a guy named Ara Parseghian too, and some of us (though not me) were alive back then.

If recognizing that makes me Barnett's greatest fanboy, then I plead guilty. I doubt it is a very accurate label though.

Some seem to think that the Walker years were somehow more impressive and program contributing. Those same people likely thought Carmody was a great coach and our performance during his reign was acceptable.

Yes, and what he accomplished at NU still makes him arguably the greatest coach we ever had in any of our lifetimes. Arguable only because we had a guy named Ara Parseghian too, and some of us (though not me) were alive back then.

If recognizing that makes me Barnett's greatest fanboy, then I plead guilty. I doubt it is a very accurate label though.

Some seem to think that the Walker years were somehow more impressive and program contributing. Those same people likely thought Carmody was a great coach and our performance during his reign was acceptable.

Nobody is saying Barnett didn't accomplish great things at NU. He did... but he also had plenty of failures during his time at NU, which seem to have been forgotten by a group of posters who hold Barnett up as a nearly-infallible figure.

Nobody is saying Barnett didn't accomplish great things at NU. He did... but he also had plenty of failures during his time at NU, which seem to have been forgotten by a group of posters who hold Barnett up as a nearly-infallible figure.

He won two rings and recruited 3 championship teams. For that, he gets forgiveness for any shortcomings. Especially given the cupboard he inherited. No one forgets the 0-fer season. But, some recognize that there was young talent in the wings, talent capable of winning the Big Ten again.

I said it before and I'll say it again. I'd gladly take 3 Big Ten titles in 6 years, with losing seasons sandwiched in between. Vs. consistent 6 or 7 win seasons. Moments of greatness vs. consistent mediocrity each and every day of the week for me, thank you.

That's why I'm glad we junked Carmody. We were never going to the dance with him. Ever. Much less win the B1G. Under Collins, I don't just expect to go to the Dance. I expect we will be winning B1G titles sooner or later. Perhaps, as soon as this year.

He won two rings and recruited 3 championship teams. For that, he gets forgiveness for any shortcomings. Especially given the cupboard he inherited. No one forgets the 0-fer season. But, some recognize that there was young talent in the wings, talent capable of winning the Big Ten again.

Appreciate you making my point for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT