ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Question re: Unused Scholarships

7th Cir. Cat

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2006
I've seen quite a few comments on the board stating that we should hold on to a scholarship instead of filling it in this class. I love NU Hoops but I'm still getting my head around the nuances of recruiting. Can someone explain why we would do this?

It seems as if every year we have a significant injury (Coble, Shurna, Law, Rap, Falzon etc.) or some other unforseen mishap/transfer (Vassar, Lathon). Why would we want to go into the season with a less than full roster? Is the idea that we are getting better and with another NCAA Tournament appearance we can go after even more elite recruits? That kinda makes sense to me, but seems like a gamble.

What's the rationale here?

I've seen quite a few comments on the board stating that we should hold on to a scholarship instead of filling it in this class. I love NU Hoops but I'm still getting my head around the nuances of recruiting. Can someone explain why we would do this?

It seems as if every year we have a significant injury (Coble, Shurna, Law, Rap, Falzon etc.) or some other unforseen mishap/transfer (Vassar, Lathon). Why would we want to go into the season with a less than full roster? Is the idea that we are getting better and with another NCAA Tournament appearance we can go after even more elite recruits? That kinda makes sense to me, but seems like a gamble.

It comes down to having balanced classes. You never WANT to go into a season with a unused scholarship, period. But NU has had to for the past few seasons.

The rationale for only taking four players in the 2019 freshman class when there are five scholarships is that Collins might be better off playing the transfer market. He could get a grad transfer to add experience. Or he could get a guy like Turner who has a couple more years but has to sit a year (and thus try to align this player with Gaines’s eligibility).

A lot of options. I think if Austin and either of the wings want to come on board, Collins will take five. Otherwise, he will play the transfer market, barring a late-rising and academically eligible freshman (think Mark Smith recently).

Don't want to not use the scholarship but having 5 guys in one class.... Saving the place with a usable grad transfer would even things out and if we have good year give us a chance at even higher level recruits

... Is the idea that we are getting better and with another NCAA Tournament appearance we can go after even more elite recruits? ...

I think it's a mix of what's already been discussed. Another factor: how good is a class, locally or nationally?

I think staffs need to consider whether a class is heavy, all needs are met and the strength of a class. If everything checks, I think a number of programs leave an open schollie just in case.

It comes down to having balanced classes. You never WANT to go into a season with a unused scholarship, period. But NU has had to for the past few seasons.

The rationale for only taking four players in the 2019 freshman class when there are five scholarships is that Collins might be better off playing the transfer market. He could get a grad transfer to add experience. Or he could get a guy like Turner who has a couple more years but has to sit a year (and thus try to align this player with Gaines’s eligibility).

A lot of options. I think if Austin and either of the wings want to come on board, Collins will take five. Otherwise, he will play the transfer market, barring a late-rising and academically eligible freshman (think Mark Smith recently).
The aligning with Gaines eligibility is a key factor. Otherwise potentially forced to have another one man class down the road.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT