ADVERTISEMENT

Refs favoring top ranked teams

D_C_B

Aug 10, 2016
Did anyone just see that horrible no-call on blatant, unmissable pass interference at the end of the first half of the UM-Purdue game? How is that even possible. The UM guy threw the Purdue receiver to the ground and the only people in the stadium that didn't see it were the ones who left their seats to get to the bathroom early. And Purdue is at home!

Coat Purdue 3 at least and maybe 7.

If that was a UM receiver against Purdue I am certain it's an automatic flag. The kind that is coming out of the ref's pocket before the contact is even made.

I'm sick of this. Refs are supposed to be better than this. If they're not, "next man up". The conference deserves better.

Worst call of the day though was the Texas A&M touchdown that the refs nixed because they blew the whistle early as the. Ball carrier got within one foot of the sideline but never stepped out.

Apparently they can't review an early blown whistle.

I care about the BT. I am sick of BT refs screwing their own. There is no way that flag could not have been thrown. If that was incidental contact, so was Woody Hayes slugging that Clemson kid on the sideline.

Last edited:
Oh, and now look at the the flag they just threw on a TOTALLY UNCATCHABLE BALL on 3rd and 12 for Michigan to start the 3rd quarter. A throwaway by UM.

This is a joke. I don't gamble but this level of favoritism pisses me off.

And now a horrible no call on 3rd down for Purdue with #24 for UM draped all over the receiver for 3 yards before the pass got to the receiver. 3 straight series butchered all in favor of UM?

Are these UM dads doing the reffing?

The refs have stolen all of the momentum Purdue had in these last 3 drives. Cost hem mo. Cost them points. Turned the game. Intentionally if you ask me.

Important note: this all happened after the starting UM quarterback went out with an injury and people started smelling an upset. Hmmm???

Last edited:
And now they get screwed on a bogus targeting call that was a totally clean shoulder and arm hit by Purdue's best defensive player. Such horrible, game-changing favoritism by the refs. Disgusting. Michigan's second TD should never have happened. They should have been punting 70 yards back.

And now it's just "running into" the kicker, it roughing. More screwing. What a joke.

Complete crap. Apparently you want guys dead on the field.

No. That was a clean shoulder and arm hit never Intended at the head at all until the receiver slumped into it.

And by the way, please show me the last dead guy on a football field, Your statement is so flatly false, it's best characterized as a lie.

In fact, I just took a screenshot and at the point of contact, the helmet is off to the side, it's all shoulder and arms AND the UM receiver's knee is on the ground. It's not even 5 feet. It's more like 4! Teach me how to post a picture and I'll post it.

No. That was a clean shoulder and arm hit never Intended at the head at all until the receiver slumped into it.

And by the way, please show me the last dead guy on a football field, Your statement is so flatly false, it's best characterized as a lie.

In fact, I just took a screenshot and at the point of contact, the helmet is off to the side, it's all shoulder and arms AND the UM receiver's knee is on the ground. It's not even 5 feet. It's more like 4! Teach me how to post a picture and I'll post it.

You apparently haven't been reading the news...

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.c...-dies-after-injury-during-routine-tackle/amp/

defenseless player and direct contact to the head. what is so difficult to understand about that?

He was not defenseless. And thecontact was a normal, low tackle. No higher than 4 1/2 feet from the ground. Right in the letters - until the retrieved sank into it.

You're just fighting for the sake of fighting. I have the pictures prove it. And his wasn't even the worst of these calls.

Those calls were a joke and the refs stole all of Purdue's mo with those blatantly blown interference calls and then that terrible targeting call.

But...but...the refs. Nothing is more annoying to me than the sports fan that constantly complains about officiating.

Oh, stop. This isn't a fan blaming a loss on the refs instead of admitting his team got beat. That's annoying. I agree. But Purdue got hosed in multiple important series of this game with absolutely terrible calls. I don't like Purdue at all. But that's what happened, whether it's a personal pet peeve for you or not.

Last edited:

Don't read much, eh?

Don't think this thread is helping your "fire Cushing" cause, other than to make you seem like an irrational hyperposter on yet another topic...

Reactions: gocatsgo2003
mike, do you want to add something here? If so please do. If all you want to do is whip out your favorite new word, your suggestions are neither particularly interesting or useful. If you didn't see the plays, you really can't add much here. And the article speaks for itself.

Jules implied that guys are dying on the field from targeting. This player that died was not targeted, or targeting. So the article simply doesn't rebut the point.

mike, do you want to add something here? If so please do. If all you want to do is whip out your favorite new word, your suggestions are neither particularly interesting or useful.

You're doing great. Carry on.

Yup, everyone else is wrong but you. You're doing great.

You're hyperposting now. 3 in 3 minutes.

It's not an "everyone" thing. It's a fact thing. The death was not a targeting tackle, and the folks who say I don't read much apparently don't read much themselves because that article simply doesn't establish that players are dying on the field from targeting. If you can't or won't accept that, I really can't do much about that.

Again, I don't want to get into a squabble with you but it seems that that's all you want to do here - insert yourself into things and pick fights. I'm really not interested in that, to be honest, so you'd be better off finding somebody else for your purposes.

I just wanted to say that Purdue got screwed on numerous pivotal calls and it was blatantly obvious to anyone with eyes. And that was all I inteneded to say until someone whipped out an article and claimed it says something that it absolutely does not.

You're hyperposting now. 3 in 3 minutes.

It's not an "everyone" thing. It's a fact thing. The death was not a targeting tackle, and the folks who say I don't read much apparently don't read much themselves because that article simply doesn't establish that players are dying on the field from targeting. If you can't or won't accept that, I really can't do much about that.

Again, I don't want to get into a squabble with you but it seems that that's all you want to do here - insert yourself into things and pick fights. I'm really not interested in that, to be honest, so you'd be better off finding somebody else for your purposes.

I just wanted to say that Purdue got screwed on numerous pivotal calls and it was blatantly obvious to anyone with eyes. And that was all I inteneded to say until someone whipped out an article and claimed it says something that it absolutely does not.

How many people agreed with you in this thread?

Yet you responded anyway, Mike, because you couldn't resist the need to Hyper-Fight?

(And, hilariously and quite ironically, being the only person to raise Adam Cushing's name, which had nothing to do with anything? )

This thread had nothing to do with NU at all. Or you. Just one guy watching bad call after bad call take all the wind out of Purdue's sails.

Yet you still couldn't resist Hyper-Fighting, could you?

Try reading the article. It was a routine tackle. Not a targeting tackle. You do understand the difference, don't you?

You said in another post "show me the last dead guy on a football field." A Division II player died on the field within the past week. There are usually several deaths in high school and college football each year. Know what the hell you're talking about before you criticize others. The tackle by the Purdue captain that got him kicked out of the game was definitely a targeting tackle, and I say that as someone who was rooting for Purdue to win.

I said show me the players dropping on the field in the context of players dying from targeting, which was the clear implication of Jules's post - that targeting gets players killed.

I still haven't seen it. I got told to read more. So I did. And the article didn't say what it was claimed to say.

But let's assume there is some evidence out there somewhere of targeting getting kids killed. You just pointed out other deaths that had nothing to do with targeting. So assuming you place any value on human life, what are you saying: that we should stop playing football altogether because even clean hits get players killed? Is that your point?

Lastly, I totally disagree that the Purdue hit was targeting. It was not a hit to the head. It was a hit to the shoulders. It was 95% plus shoulderpad and arms. The helmet was off to the side as it should be. The helmet contact was incidental at most - a light grazing of helmets. And most importantly there was zero upward thrust by the defender. This is for the simple reason that the receiver crouched his body immediately prior to the hit. He was not defenseless at all. Why do I say that? Because he did, in fact, defend himself. That's what the crouching was! He crouched so much, his knee was about to touch the ground before he got hit! That's a fact. I am staring at a photo of the hit as I type this. I'd be happy to show it to you if you'd like.

So it was a downward hit by the defender (not an upward targeting of the head) with the shoulder aimed at what was chest level into a guy preparing to be hit whose center of gravity lowered at least 15 inches or so immediately prior to the hit. If that's targeting a defenseless player, they're going to have to call it on every tackle and both teams will be DQ'd before the end of the first quarter of every game.

Last edited:
I said show me the players dropping on the field in the context of players dying from targeting, which was the clear implication of Jules's post - that targeting gets players killed.

I haven't seen it. But let's assume there has been one. You just pointed out other deaths that had nothing to do with targeting. So assuming you place any value on human life, what are you saying: that we should stop playing football altogether because even clean hits get players killed? Is that your point?

Lastly, I totally disagree that the Purdue hit was targeting. It was not a hit to the head. It was 95% plus shoulderpad and arms. The helmet contact was incidental at most - a grazing of helmets. And most importantly there was zero upward thrust by the defender. This is for the simple reason that the receiver crouched his body immediately prior to the hit. He was not defenseless at all. Why do I say that? Because he did, in fact, defend himself. That's what the crouching was! He crouched so much, his knee was about to touch the ground before he got hit! That's a fact.

So it was a downward hit by the defender (not an upward targeting of the head) with the shoulder aimed at what was chest level into a guy preparing to be hit whose center of gravity lowered at least 15 inches or so immediately prior to the hit. If that's targeting a defenseless player, they're going to have to call it on every tackle and both teams will be DQ'd before the end of the first quarter of every game.

I don't know what you were watching, but it was clearly a hit to the head, which was remarked upon by both game announcers and confirmed upon review by the officials, whom I imagine know as much about the rules of football as you. This post, among others, clearly shows you're someone who posts crap for the sake of posting crap and is not worth bothering with. Have fun. Bye-bye.

Two players have died just this past week or so from hits in college games. Do you think that's two to many? I do.

Two players have died just this past week or so from hits in college games. Do you think that's two to many? I do.

Yes. I do. But these two were not from targeting plays, which was the claim that fueled all this nonsense. This thread was about horribly blown non-calls on pass intereference until the claim that targeting results in deaths. Which has yet to be proven despite multiple attempts to do so.

I don't know what you were watching, but it was clearly a hit to the head, which was remarked upon by both game announcers and confirmed upon review by the officials, whom I imagine know as much about the rules of football as you. This post, among others, clearly shows you're someone who posts crap for the sake of posting crap and is not worth bothering with. Have fun. Bye-bye.

Read this thread again and ask yourself who posted the crap. Who posted the article purporting to establish deaths from targeting that did nothing of the sort?

Besides, you're wrong on the hit and so were the officials. That's the whole point of this thread: that these officials sucked! Deferring to them is hardly persuasive...

He was not targeting. Not even close. The receiver braced for the hit, shrunk down, was about 4'6" when he got hit with zero helmet to helmet contact, and defender did not make any sort of lifting move. He tried to tackle a man in the numbers with his shoulder, and the receiver tried to get under it. That is not targeting regardless of how many times you say it is.

Oh, and now look at the the flag they just threw on a TOTALLY UNCATCHABLE BALL on 3rd and 12 for Michigan to start the 3rd quarter. A throwaway by UM.

This is a joke. I don't gamble but this level of favoritism pisses me off.
I was at this game with a perfect view of this play. Normally stay off my phone but that call inspired me to text 3 people.

The whole point of targeting calls is to change the way the game is played, player intent is not a factor at all. When a guy is coming across the middle you have to form tackle him, no going for the knockout blow anymore. Does that mean some innocent players are going to be kicked out of games? Yes, but the culture has to change and this is how it is done. This is a long term effort for football in the battle against CTE, if the sport is going to continue this is something we have to sacrifice. Or we could be boxing in the 60's with our heads in the sand, sure that our spot as a relevant sport will last forever.

People bitched and moaned when linemen were able to use their hands to block, but football come out of that change ok. Sport evolves, this is just the latest adaptation.

The whole point of targeting calls is to change the way the game is played, player intent is not a factor at all. When a guy is coming across the middle you have to form tackle him, no going for the knockout blow anymore. Does that mean some innocent players are going to be kicked out of games? Yes, but the culture has to change and this is how it is done. This is a long term effort for football in the battle against CTE, if the sport is going to continue this is something we have to sacrifice. Or we could be boxing in the 60's with our heads in the sand, sure that our spot as a relevant sport will last forever.

People bitched and moaned when linemen were able to use their hands to block, but football come out of that change ok. Sport evolves, this is just the latest adaptation.
Bingo. You nailed it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT