ADVERTISEMENT

Remembering those who served on this Memorial Day

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
One of the things I have always admired about Coach Fitzgerald is how he has instilled respect in his players for those who have served in the military.

My grandparents were a multi-star family during World War II as my father and several of his brothers all served at the same time.
Here is just the contributions of one of the brothers:

My Uncle who headed the formation of the Alaska National Guard during World War II went on to lead the Occupation Efforts in Hokkaido, Japan after the war. There he was stationed at the base in Chitose. He shared with me many of his fond memories of Japan. The Japanese people in Chitose were so appreciative of his kindness to them that when he left he was gifted an Ainu bead necklace with a seabird medallion known as a shitoki. After his passing it was willed to me and I cherish it to this day.

That my uncle built a close rapport with the Japanese people is not surprising. One of his primary responsibilities was serving as a liaison with the Japanese townspeople in Chitose. In his previous Alaska assignment he was a leader who came to be loved and respected by his men as well. John H. Grainger in his book “Alaska National Guard, 297th Infantry Battalion” writes about a 140 mile march “Commanded by my. uncle, the, Commanding Officer of the 297th Infantry, Battalion, from Fort Richardson to Mt. McKinley Park for testing of winter equipment” that was described as “unprecedented in number of men, time and distance covered under winter conditions.” He added, referring to my uncle, that even though he was the Commander of the expedition he “worked the hardest and suffered the most. He traveled alone with his pack. Prior to the war he had been a mining engineer and foreman in a gold mine in Juneau.”

IMG_4493.jpg

IMG_5854.jpg

Last edited:
Watched the ceremony that was held at the WWII memorial today. One of the veterans was 16 at the Battle of the Bulge. I have a 16 year old who just got his drivers license and I was nervous for him to take the car across town! Unfathomable how much that generation went through.

Watched several WW2 era dramas recently: Darkest Hour, Operation Mincemeat, Hacksaw Ridge, Dunkirk. Even some of those B-grader performances brought tears to my eyes. The sacrifice of that generation is beyond words. God bless them all.
I spent part of today going back to 1964 and Reagan’s “ A Time for Choosing “ speech on YouTube. Definitely worth 30 minutes of your time. Stunning in how it is as relevant today as it was 58 years ago.

The names and places have changed. But not much else.

GOUNUII

I routinely pass and occasionally stop at Arlington National Cemetery. It is a solemn place and The Tomb of the Unknowns will cause anyone to reflect on the sacrifices others have made.

I am forgoing Dublin this year to visit Normandy and spend a few days in Bayeux, visit the invasion beaches and The American Cemetery, where several of my relatives are interred. This may be my last chance to pay my respects and finally complete a trip long desired. Watch the opening scenes from "Saving Private Ryan" to understand what these men did

Yesterday, I was speaking to a friend, a Colonel USMC Ret., and mentioned that my son in law had taken command of The Purple Foxes, a legendary Marine Squadron. He was stunned and proceeded to relay how The Purple Foxes resupplied his outnumbered men on Hill 881, Khe Sanh, suffering staggering casualties flying in the supplies. He owed his survival to Purple Foxes and he wanted me to relay a message " Give a Shit"

Several of my friends did not survive VN. Hideous war that it was, a vestige, of sorts, of WWII meant to prevent China from dominating the resources of SE Asia, it shouldn't have been waged in the first place, was poorly run from the top and ended ignominiously. None the less, Americans were drafted, enlisted and served, and many died, on both sides. It is America's strong military which has helped freer nations to prevail over autocrats, such as Putin, from dominating the world politically. My prayer for this Memorial Day is that the United States remains what so many have sacrificed to create and preserve, against a current evil threat from within.

I routinely pass and occasionally stop at Arlington National Cemetery. It is a solemn place and The Tomb of the Unknowns will cause anyone to reflect on the sacrifices others have made.

I am forgoing Dublin this year to visit Normandy and spend a few days in Bayeux, visit the invasion beaches and The American Cemetery, where several of my relatives are interred. This may be my last chance to pay my respects and finally complete a trip long desired. Watch the opening scenes from "Saving Private Ryan" to understand what these men did

Yesterday, I was speaking to a friend, a Colonel USMC Ret., and mentioned that my son in law had taken command of The Purple Foxes, a legendary Marine Squadron. He was stunned and proceeded to relay how The Purple Foxes resupplied his outnumbered men on Hill 881, Khe Sanh, suffering staggering casualties flying in the supplies. He owed his survival to Purple Foxes and he wanted me to relay a message " Give a Shit"
Visiting Normandy is apparently an experience one never forgets. Another of my uncles was part of the invasion forces (actually he parachuted in as part of an advance group to set up communications.) He had the opportunity to return in recent years before he passed away and I know he cherished the opportunity to reconnect.

I can only imagine what it must be like to spend time at Arlington National Cemetery. A close friend here heads the "Last Frontier Honor Flights" program which takes veterans back to Washington D.C. to see the memorials there that stand in tribute to their comrades. This was the first year since the program started in 2013 that there were no longer any World War II veterans attending. Last month's flight had 23 Korean and Vietnam war veterans from Alaska. Just last week my friend was relating how he had to separate from the group to attend to an emergency and to rejoin the group he was allowed to cross through Arlington Cemetery alone. The experience as he related it was most humbling.

Alaska Honor Flights for Veterans

I did the Normandy battlefield trip a couple of years ago. Incredibly moving. My tour guide was a French gentleman whose grandfather had been executed by the Nazis (he was in the Resistance). Bayeaux is a special place too -- by a fluke of war, it came through the invasion undamaged and so is its original medieval self. The day ended with "Taps" at the American Cemetery. (I have no family members there AFAIK. I did get to know a fellow here in Nashville who flew P-47s in the invasion. A friend of my father's was captured at the Bulge. Another friend was KIA at Iwo Jima; I'm named after him. My father stayed stateside due to illness.)
I was in a hotel back at CDG that night, feeling both homesick and emotional over the day ... happened to listen to Ray Charles singing the 3rd verse of America the Beautiful ... "O beautiful for heroes proved, in liberating strife ..." and basically, well, lost it, if you know what I mean.

I did the Normandy battlefield trip a couple of years ago. Incredibly moving. My tour guide was a French gentleman whose grandfather had been executed by the Nazis (he was in the Resistance). Bayeaux is a special place too -- by a fluke of war, it came through the invasion undamaged and so is its original medieval self. The day ended with "Taps" at the American Cemetery. (I have no family members there AFAIK. I did get to know a fellow here in Nashville who flew P-47s in the invasion. A friend of my father's was captured at the Bulge. Another friend was KIA at Iwo Jima; I'm named after him. My father stayed stateside due to illness.)
I was in a hotel back at CDG that night, feeling both homesick and emotional over the day ... happened to listen to Ray Charles singing the 3rd verse of America the Beautiful ... "O beautiful for heroes proved, in liberating strife ..." and basically, well, lost it, if you know what I mean.

This is such good stuff, to learn about yours and other member's family's histories, and remember my own. My dad was a grad student at Yale when he was drafted, and went through basic training at Fort Bragg. His company ended up landing at Omaha Beach, and of course, he lost many of his buddies there. But my dad never went to Europe, or anywhere else to fight. The first time his unit went to the shooting range to practice, it was learned that my Dad's eyesight was so bad, he couldn't even find the target that everybody was shooting at. Not good for a soldier. So he was discharged from the Army. Otherwise who knows?

Since then, my older brother served in the Army and was shot at by North Korean guards while patrolling the DMZ. His son, my nephew, spent two years in Iraq, and survived roadside bombs that killed others he was riding with in armored jeeps. Heavy sh**. I thank God they all made it through. And of course I especially thank God for those who didn't, but who I owe my luxurious, comfortable way of life to.

How long will we be able to keep enjoying our relatively peaceful lifestyle in this country? I'm getting very concerned about that.

Last edited:
Steve Earle’s “Johnny Come Lately” has a great verse about a WWII vet:
“My P47 is a pretty good ship.
She took a round coming across the Channel last trip.
I was thinking about my baby and letting her rip.
It always got me through so far.

full lyrics here

This is such good stuff, to learn about yours and other member's family's histories, and remember my own. My dad was a grad student at Yale when he was drafted, and went through basic training at Fort Bragg. His company ended up landing at Omaha Beach, and of course, he lost many of his buddies there. But my dad never went to Europe, or anywhere else to fight. The first time his unit went to the shooting range to practice, it was learned that my Dad's eyesight was so bad, he couldn't even find the target that everybody was shooting at. Not good for a soldier. So he was discharged from the Army. Otherwise who knows?

Since then, my older brother served in the Army and was shot at by North Korean guards while patrolling the DMZ. His son, my nephew, spent two years in Iraq, and survived roadside bombs that killed others he was riding with in armored jeeps. Heavy sh**. I thank God they all made it through. And of course I especially thank God for those who didn't, but who I owe my luxurious, comfortable way of life to.

How long will we be able to keep enjoying our relatively peaceful lifestyle in this country? I'm getting very concerned about that.
It is hard to speculate where the US is headed, as there is already a weird kind of civil war going on. Citizen against citizen. with anarchy promoted from the top.

Last edited:

Hey Doc, my wife and I will be in Bayeux I believe on September 6 and 7 - will we overlap?

Hey Doc, my wife and I will be in Bayeux I believe on September 6 and 7 - will we overlap?
No unfortunately. I will be in Bayeux Aug 19-21 then tour Paris and surrounds till Aug 30, hence no NU v NU in Dublin

I hope to see you in Evanston at Uber's for a game. I am not sure how many games I will make since I will miss Dublin and the first 3 home games

My dad was a ball turret gunner on a B-17 bomber during WWII. His bomber group flew missions over Germany and Italy. If you survived a certain number of missions you were sent home. I remember him recounting harrowing stories of his missions during the war. I don’t know how he and his crew made it through.

I’ve seen B-17’s at different museums and at air shows over the years. When my brother and I took a tour of the Boeing air museum years ago we saw a B-17 that the museum had recently refurbished. You can actually go up in one if you are willing to fork over hundreds of dollars. Maybe some day I’ll have the courage to fly in one if the opportunity ever arises again.

My dad and mom are interred at the military cemetery at Fort Rosecrans in Point Loma. It was the scene for Iceman’s funeral w/ jet flyover in Top Gun Maverick (along with other scenes shot here in San Diego.) I enjoy taking flowers out there and the great views of the ocean. I also make a stop at Cabrillo National Monument with my lifetime “senior” park pass. The park has panoramic views of the mountains, Coronado and Mexico and the Coronado islands offshore on a clear day. Great views of military planes taking off and land at the North Island base.

My dad was a ball turret gunner on a B-17 bomber during WWII. His bomber group flew missions over Germany and Italy. If you survived a certain number of missions you were sent home. I remember him recounting harrowing stories of his missions during the war. I don’t know how he and his crew made it through.

I’ve seen B-17’s at different museums and at air shows over the years. When my brother and I took a tour of the Boeing air museum years ago we saw a B-17 that the museum had recently refurbished. You can actually go up in one if you are willing to fork over hundreds of dollars. Maybe some day I’ll have the courage to fly in one if the opportunity ever arises again.

My dad and mom are interred at the military cemetery at Fort Rosecrans in Point Loma. It was the scene for Iceman’s funeral w/ jet flyover in Top Gun Maverick (along with other scenes shot here in San Diego.) I enjoy taking flowers out there and the great views of the ocean. I also make a stop at Cabrillo National Monument with my lifetime “senior” park pass. The park has panoramic views of the mountains, Coronado and Mexico and the Coronado islands offshore on a clear day. Great views of military planes taking off and land at the North Island base.
My dad was a tank commander in WW

My dad was a tank commander in WW2.How any of our ancestors made it out alive was a miracle.The army air Corp had the highest casualty rate of any of the armed services in WW2.Truly was the greatest generation.

You are extremely fortunate to be here. The mortality/lost in action rate for bomber crews over Europe in WWII was extraordinarily high . Over 100,000 bomber crew members perished in WWII , I believe more than the entire Marine Corps lost in the war.

Here is a trivia question-which branch of the military had the highest mortality rate ? Remember The Army Air Corps was part of the Army , not a separate service ?

Last edited:

Your dad was in good company, and with a Northwestern Connection as well.

Distinguished NU Alum Charleton Heston was an aerial gunner here in Alaska during his 1944-46 service in the United States Army Air Force.

He was stationed in Kodiak and Umnak during the Aleutian Campaign and was assigned to a North American B-25 Mitchell. In addition to his gunner duties he served as a radio operator.

Charleton Heston's Alaska Years

Last edited:
No unfortunately. I will be in Bayeux Aug 19-21 then tour Paris and surrounds till Aug 30, hence no NU v NU in Dublin

I hope to see you in Evanston at Uber's for a game. I am not sure how many games I will make since I will miss Dublin and the first 3 home games
So be it. After getting back from London and Paris, I'll probably be able to make the second home game. Keep me posted, and I will appear at uber's on command.

Distinguished NU Alum Charleton Heston was an aerial gunner here in Alaska during his 1944-46 service in the United States Army Air Force.

He was stationed in Kodiak and Umnak during the Aleutian Campaign and was assigned to a North American B-25 Mitchell. In addition to his gunner duties he served as a radio operator.

Charleton Heston's Alaska Years

I guess I can add that one of my above referenced uncles (the one who parachuted in at Normandy to set up advance radio communications) was also assigned to the United States Army Air Force. Despite that his continued advance to Paris was all on the ground.

Anyone who has read this far may find it of interest that he and his sergeant ended up getting lost riding a jeep into Paris where they were ushered to the Arc de Triomphe and local officials there greeted them as the Liberators.

The powers to be, including the U.S.military brass, squelched the publicity of their entry as there was an agreement that the U.S. forces would hold off so Frenchman de Gaulle could get to Paris and claim the glory.

Other events he related to me and in oral histories were impactful to include he and his comrades arrival at the Buchenwald Concentration Camp where they tried to provide assistance to the starving survivors and saw the stacked bones and, if I recall correctly, still burning ovens.

He related to me one vivid memory of a ball peen hammer that he found near the ovens which he surmised had been used to knock out the teeth with gold fillings.

The Concentration Camp encounter was something he had been unable to even speak about until his later years.

Last edited:

Yesterday, I was speaking to a friend, a Colonel USMC Ret., and mentioned that my son in law had taken command of The Purple Foxes, a legendary Marine Squadron. He was stunned and proceeded to relay how The Purple Foxes resupplied his outnumbered men on Hill 881, Khe Sanh, suffering staggering casualties flying in the supplies. He owed his survival to Purple Foxes and he wanted me to relay a message " Give a Shi
When the kids were younger, my wife and I took the entire family for a multi day trip through Normandy. Bayeux was our beachhead for the trip. One of the most memorable trips of my life and it had a big impact on my kids. Pretty sure my two oldest have chosen paths in public service in part because of that experience.

You are extremely fortunate to be here. The mortality/lost in action rate for bomber crews over Europe in WWII was extraordinarily high . Over 100,000 bomber crew members perished in WWII , I believe more than the entire Marine Corps lost in the war.

Here is a trivia question-which branch of the military had the highest mortality rate ? Remember The Army Air Corps was part of the Army , not a separate service ?
Yes I feel fortunate to be here, esp after reading historian Rick Atkinson’s “liberation trilogy about WWII. Volume 2 of the trilogy, “The Day of Battle THE WAR IN SICILY AND ITALY, 1943-1944” describes the air campaign and the terrible losses the Army Air Corps suffered. I believe my dad spent time being trained for something else prior to being pulled into the B-17 bomber crew probably as a result of the heavy losses. I highly recommend this trilogy which we read as part of an ongoing history class/reading group I attend at UCSD Extension. (Atkinson has started another trilogy on the Revolurionary War- we read his first book in the series “The British Are Coming”. I hope to survive long enough to read the other 2 books yet to be written.)

I’ve seen B-17’s and am amazed how small the dome of the ball turret is and how my dad managed to fit inside. He had told me after long periods on k-rations his weight dropped into the 120’s during that time. Besides being in a vulnerable position underneath the plane shooting at fighters and exposed to flack from anti-aircraft guns, he had to be lowered into position by another crewmate and raised out again.

My grandmother had heart problems while my dad was in training and she passed away before he could see her for the last time. My dad pleaded to be allowed to attend her funeral but was being denied. He was about to go AWOL to attend the funeral when someone higher up in the chain of command finally relented and gave permission for leave so he could attend. My brother has the last letter my grandmother sent to my dad before she passed, it’s very touching.

I am going to say the USMC.Technically the Merchant Marines if I remember correctly was not part of the service.Can't wait to find out.

Wow. Thank you for telling us this story. Americans really came together then, because they believed in each other, not just themselves, and shared a vision of the opportunity our country offered. Therefore they made the ultimate sacrifice for us now. Sadly that vision is now being perverted by people only interested in themselves and those like them.

Merchant Marine.
A winner here. The Merchant Marine were considered a service branch during WWII. They had a mortality rate of about 3.9%. If you separated the Army Air Corps from the Army , their mortality rate would have been higher but their deaths were "diluted" by the vast number of men serving in the Army

The Merchant Marines losses in the North Atlantic were staggering until the German Wolf Packs were controlled

Merchant Marine 3.9 % 1 in 26
Marines 2.9 % 1 in 34
Army 2.1 % 1 in 48
Navy .88 % 1 in 114
Coast Guard .24 % 1 in 421

Total 1.78 % 1 in 56
Total Deaths 295,790

Russian Military Deaths 11.7 million
Russian Deaths Military and Civilian 27 million

Last edited:
I’ve been inside a B-17. There aren’t words to describe how little room there is to move. I’m no giant but must have hit my head ten times trying to navigate the inside. My uncle was a bombardier who flew the maximum amount of missions over Europe. I was too young and stupid to ever ask him about it

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Russian Military Deaths 11.7 million
Russian Deaths Military and Civilian 27 million

27 million people wiped out. One country. Thats unimaginable. Good God, between WW2, and Stalin's long reign of terror/torture/starvation for a large portion of his own people... are these people cursed?!?

How blessed we are in this country. I think I live mindful of this fact, but this thread is really reminding me again.

Last edited:
My Pops trained African American armored troops at Fort Knox and then overseas to serve under Patton, Battle of the Bulge and in Germany at the end of the War...getting ready to go to the Pacific and the bomb got him home. And all I can think of him saying would be what a waste if we continue down the path we are on.

With this week having been an anniversary of the June, 1944 D-Day invasion it has certainly been reflective to hear from fellow WildcatReporters as to family connections to that iconic and historically impactful event.

Notably it was the turning point in the Atlantic Theatre as was The Battle of Midway in the Pacific.

Thanks to all sharing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT